Possible to use driving lights as a spotty?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Possible to use driving lights as a spotty?

Post by SlamminSam » 02 Jul 2019, 6:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting some of these for my Ute:

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-led-drivin ... =BCF051015

I was wondering, would it be possible to remove one of them when going spotlighting? Would it make an effective replacement for a proper spotty?

I had two ideas:

1. Get an extended cord, make some sort of handle attachment and use it as a handheld.

2. Fasten a rotatable camera tripod to my roof using tie downs, attach one of the lights to it, and then attach a bent golf club (or similar) to the tripod so I can move the spotty around from the drivers seat (similar to expensive spotlights).

I thought it may also be a good idea to make my own lens attachment that would function similar to a laser pointer, where the cap has a reflective backing which bounces the light back until it escapes through a smaller hole in the lens cap (focusing the light on a smaller area)

How crazy am I?
SlamminSam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Possible to use driving lights as a spotty?

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jul 2019, 7:15 pm

I will share how I did spotlighting in the Gascoyne I would turn my spotlights on the front bar to about 12-15 degrees off centre as that was my best angle to take a shot and stack the long beam on top of the spreader so I could see a fair way and the ground was lit up Then drive around with a handheld.If the roo or cat moved I would just follow with the car till I could take a shot.I had roof mounts before and I have the following issues with them
.Your arm gets tired holding the handle
.When I shot hilly country it always seemed to flop about just as you are going to shoot
.If you forget to tilt it back when you drive of the property you hit about 70 Km/hr and the handle slams forward as the wind gets a hold of it
I like the window mount units but they cost a bit
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment