wanted 48" 17 cal cleaning rod

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

wanted 48" 17 cal cleaning rod

Post by Leadspitter » 30 Jul 2019, 12:02 pm

Hello chaps

I need 48" 1200mm long 17 cal cleaning rod

cz varmint 25" barrel with high comb thumbhole stock

Rod only clears rear of stock by about 5 mm so rod handle would scrape along tge top of the stock.

Does such an animal exist ?
A 48" 1200mm long rod !

I need to get this rifle cleaned and into action

Cheers.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: wanted 48" 17 cal cleaning rod

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jul 2019, 12:03 pm

Leadspitter wrote:Hello chaps

I need 48" 1200mm long 17 cal cleaning rod

cz varmint 25" barrel with high comb thumbhole stock

Rod only clears rear of stock by about 5 mm so rod handle would scrape along tge top of the stock.

Does such an animal exist ?
A 48" 1200mm long rod !

I need to get this rifle cleaned and into action

Cheers.

Not .17" specifically, but I have seen rod extensions for that purpose.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Leadspitter » 30 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

Thanks bladeracer

I was thinking that some type of extension would work

I would like the extension to be on the handle end , so no joints go through the bore.
Did you hear about the bloke who stopped talking to himself , because of something he said ?
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 Jul 2019, 12:42 pm

The .17 kit I had the joints are smooth you could get 2 sets.I have a similar problem with my 26 inch Remington Sendero and have to use another rod to complete pushing a patch through
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Leadspitter » 30 Jul 2019, 5:44 pm

There you go Duncan you know my pain

I will take a look at the joining options

A couple of machinists at the gun club I could ask to make something up , if it comes to that.

Cheers
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 31 Jul 2019, 12:13 pm

Needed something similar for one of my Omark,s years ago I bought a cleaning kit 3 sections made out of brass .
I found i could screw one section of that to my cleaning rods does the trick
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jul 2019, 6:05 pm

Leadspitter wrote:Thanks bladeracer

I was thinking that some type of extension would work

I would like the extension to be on the handle end , so no joints go through the bore.

I like the idea of an extension at the handle, but that's probably getting complicated. Might have to fabricate something like that yourself. I'm not sure that the force of pushing such a long rod through the bore, with such a joint, near the handle end is a great idea though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Jul 2019, 8:53 pm

what I have done in the past when my gunslick cleaning rod broke is buying a length of carbon fibre rod in the right diameter and re-attaching the ends on it
maybe you could buy a length of rod to suit, it may be worth a call or email to find out, I only needed 1 meter you would need 1.2 meters
http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category12_1.htm
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Leadspitter » 01 Aug 2019, 6:21 pm

Well i reckon i have gone off half cocked to be honest.

Wheen we put a rod in the rifle , whilst purchasing the leadspitter , i guess we let it sag down a bit at the hear of the stock.

I have since put a string line in from the muzzle and pulled it tight to the back of the stock..,parrallel to the bore , more clearabce than i first thought.

Looks like i will be able to use a rod with small diamater handle , the proshot 38 1/2" will clear the stock
For the last 6" of pushing i will have to grip the handle on the sides only but looks doable.

I'll have to get some 1/8" rubber sheet to place over the top of the stock while cleaning but thats no biggie !

So i am going to order the rod and bronze brushes from brt and suck it and see.

The girl at brt suggested using 30 cal bore mops to use as a chamber mop in the 17 hornet chamber , does that sound about right. ?

She also mentioned they sell standard nylon brushes and an extra strong nylon brush called IOSSO $10 each.

You guys heard of em ?

Also i read something new to me on an american chat site.
The guy said that , one of the yank rod builders reccomended using 17 cal bronze pistol brushes when rifle cleaning , to reduce rod flexing , i see that pistol brushes are 1/2 the length of rifle brushes so half the drag , makes sense.

What say you ?

I gotta say , as this is my first ever centrefire and a 17 at that , i am more than a little daunted at the thought of cleaning. This copper fouling sounds like a drama and the nasty chemicals that go with it, oh well here goes nuthin.

I might make up some pull thrus for the 17 out of whipper snipper line if the rod is a drama.

Thats all i use on the 22 , one has a bronze brush , coupla drops of oil , drag her thru , mind the crown.

The other one , tie a knot on one end.
You know those green masonary plugs you use in a 1/4 " hole in masonary , you know , colour coded fir different diamater holes
I use the white ones for the 22 , cut off about 10 mm , use the end which is chamfered, feed onto whipper snipper line , put patch on and drag her thru

The beauty of these is that the plastic has some "spring" and when you pull her thru the bore she is tight all the way and drags the muck out.

Thing is , i dont know if the patch or brush rotates with the rifling or just goes straight up the spout

Does nt seem to have hurt the accuracy none on the 22

I might try a combo of the rod and the pull thrus , early days yet.

Any advice and tips and tricks you fellas can offer on cleanin the 17 would be much appreciated

PS. Marksman thanks for that carbon site , 3 or 4 mm , i' ll have to see if they can make 1200 long if the 950mmsteel rod is a pain.

Thanks leadspitter out.
Leadspitter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment