Different styles of shooting sticks.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Different styles of shooting sticks.

Post by xDom » 09 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

I recently purchased a set of Vanguard T62U shooting sticks.

https://www.vanguardworld.com/products/quest-t62u

Only $99, delivered. I'm satisfied with the build quality with it being a cheaper item.
I'm after some opinions from anyone that's used sticks. Do you prefer the bipod, tripod, 4-stick system?

I'm thinking that I rushed into, possibly should've gone for the 4-stick system, back and front support.
I've seen a few reviews of a brand, Viper. They look to be the business.

I managed to get some reasonable groups today at about 80m. Hell of a lot better than free standing.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Different styles of shooting sticks.

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2019, 5:14 pm

xDom wrote:I recently purchased a set of Vanguard T62U shooting sticks.

https://www.vanguardworld.com/products/quest-t62u

Only $99, delivered. I'm satisfied with the build quality with it being a cheaper item.
I'm after some opinions from anyone that's used sticks. Do you prefer the bipod, tripod, 4-stick system?

I'm thinking that I rushed into, possibly should've gone for the 4-stick system, back and front support.
I've seen a few reviews of a brand, Viper. They look to be the business.

I managed to get some reasonable groups today at about 80m. Hell of a lot better than free standing.

I have a full-height tripod that has an excellent trigger setup to adjust height one-handed, Rose has hidden it somewhere as I can't find it just now, but I have mentioned it on here before. It allows to you to support the fore end of the rifle holding the trigger in, aim onto the target, release the trigger, and the tripod locks in place.

Found the thread.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7591
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 09 Aug 2019, 5:35 pm

So you're happy with the tripod configuration then?

Do you get a lot of use out of your sticks? I'm more interested in trekking and stalking as opposed to blasting around in the ute with spotties. I think I'm going to be using the sticks a lot.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2019, 5:41 pm

xDom wrote:So you're happy with the tripod configuration then?

Do you get a lot of use out of your sticks? I'm more interested in trekking and stalking as opposed to blasting around in the ute with spotties. I think I'm going to be using the sticks a lot.

I generally don't use them as I'm mostly just shooting on the farm blocks. I never go hunting with a vehicle, and I don't spotlight. Every fox I have taken was in daylight.
I have a variety of bipods so I swap them depending on the height of the grass at the time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2019, 6:50 pm

My new hunting blocks are either covered with reeds and scrub so thick that a shot is never possible or it’s totally open. There simply is no “in between” so if I’m about to take a shot in the open I sit on my backside and use two traditionally tied 750 mm sticks as a front support and I use the fact that I’m planted on the ground and the arch of my torso as a back support. This gives me the front and back support without the hassle of an extendable bipod attached to the front of my rifle A bipod is a pain if I have to sling my rifle during carry and two much sticks get stuck in it. If I find myself in the field and realise I have forgotten my shooting sticks I make a new pair from whatever I see around me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Aug 2019, 6:57 pm

I have a tri pod one much the same as you purchased. Dont use it.
But never go hunting without a set of these.

https://youtu.be/cN5FSYJvP9k

I have a sitting & standing version.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 09 Aug 2019, 8:24 pm

this is what I use when walking about in the bush
I have my way of using them and find them very useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFkLE4JFGfA
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2019, 7:33 am

Blr243 wrote:My new hunting blocks are either covered with reeds and scrub so thick that a shot is never possible or it’s totally open. There simply is no “in between” so if I’m about to take a shot in the open I sit on my backside and use two traditionally tied 750 mm sticks as a front support and I use the fact that I’m planted on the ground and the arch of my torso as a back support. This gives me the front and back support without the hassle of an extendable bipod attached to the front of my rifle A bipod is a pain if I have to sling my rifle during carry and two much sticks get stuck in it. If I find myself in the field and realise I have forgotten my shooting sticks I make a new pair from whatever I see around me

Pretty much what I do. I loath bipods with a passion,but I have been finding my off hand shooting lacking for some jobs,so I either tie sticks together or I use some extendable tent poles I bolted together. I must admit though,I'm keen to buy a set too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 11 Aug 2019, 7:23 pm

marksman wrote:this is what I use when walking about in the bush

Marksman are those things as good as old mate makes them look in the video?? Because he makes them look like something i can't live without for another second :lol:
Did you get them in Oz or buy them direct from his website?
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 Aug 2019, 7:57 pm

JSS wrote:

Marksman are those things as good as old mate makes them look in the video?? Because he makes them look like something i can't live without for another second :lol:

They do seem too good to be true...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 11 Aug 2019, 8:10 pm

bigpete wrote:
JSS wrote:

They do seem too good to be true...

Before that guy was selling shooting sticks, he was one of those annoying vacuum cleaner salesman that would come into your house, vacuum your half of the mattress & couch & not leave until you bought one, knowing full well your missus wouldnt let you sleep until her side was clean... :lol:

He is very well rehearsed thats for sure...!!

Where is your video marksman...? lol...

Seriously though, are you that fluent with them & how long did it take you to find your way so as to not spook hypersensitive deer etc...?
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 8:41 pm

You can build them yourself for well under $20. Just buy a pair of hiking poles on ebay, and hitch them up using 2 prusik knots....better than a bought one. If old mate with one arm can do this anyone can. He uses old arrows but I reckon hiking poles are better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azuldb4cGHw
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 8:48 pm

btw if you like the stand up variety of shooting sticks rather than the sit down variety the Decoy Quad Shooting Sticks from bestfoxwhistle.com are excellent, although the customer service from that company is appalling
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 8:57 pm

10mm wooden dowel from bunnings and some string. Lol Ive heard Some use sheep castration rings.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 9:09 pm

wooden dowel is good but hiking poles are a lot lighter and collapsible
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 11 Aug 2019, 9:55 pm

But don't go long enough for standing shots....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 11 Aug 2019, 10:22 pm

best shooting stick is a tree or rail or stump or rock or car bonnet or whatever else is around to lean on... lol
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 11:33 pm

xDom wrote:So you're happy with the tripod configuration then?

Sticks are great, but remember to still keep your front hand under the fore part of the stock and use your sling as though you were shooting prone. The one I use has two rests, one for the fore end and one for the butt of the stock. I love it. I'm going to build a small simple version using hiking poles to use when sitting down.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2019, 2:09 pm

JSS wrote:

the guy is a salesman and I wouldn't use them exactly like he does but these stix ( :lol: ) are good
they can be a bit noisy having several pieces clanging if you hold the stix ( :lol: ) along your rifle and let them go as you drop to a knee to take a shot
just a case of getting use to using them quietly, they do make your rifle very stable when using them in the offhand pozzy
especially if you do it while leaning against a tree :drinks:

I bought mine off e-bay a long time ago, I think it cost around $200 AU for 2 sets at the time delivered but I'm sure they will be more expensive now
the idea of making your own is not a bad idea :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment