Trail Cameras opinions wanted

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Trail Cameras opinions wanted

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2019, 8:22 pm

I have been waiting for Aldi to have their trail cams on again. But its looking a bit grim.
Ive noticed the trail cams below are available.

Kings are selling trail cameras for $89

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/trail-game-camera.html

Bunnings sell cameras too for $144

https://www.bunnings.com.au/swann-1080p ... m_p4211205

Has anyone purchased these. Are they any good.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Trail Cameras opinions wanted

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

Ive got two of the swans and two of another brand that were much more expensive and have better functionalities - but the swans work very well for the $.
Not brilliant but not shed either...Ive got some great footage of a couple of tassie devils tag teaming a roo leg, I hung up outside my little cabin. Night time LED's do attract animals - ive had possums try and get inside the cam and birds constantly attack the bloomin thing.
Biggest problem with the swans as far as mine are concerned, is they are very power hungry. 8 x AA batteries can be fooked inside 3-4 days if there is regular night life about and even with sensitivity turned right down, wind and tree leaves can activate the cam for XXX seconds. A poor cam placement, a windy night, 3 hours worth of whistling wind noise, s**t all real footage and failed batteries...but you'll only do that once.

They do come with a 12v accessory port and Ive contemplated using a Lion 12v but havent got around to it.
Would I buy another ? yeah...I think I would if one of my others failed as well.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2019, 10:15 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Ive got two of the swans and two of another brand that were much more expensive and have better functionalities - but the swans work very well for the $.
Not brilliant but not shed either...Ive got some great footage of a couple of tassie devils tag teaming a roo leg, I hung up outside my little cabin. Night time LED's do attract animals - ive had possums try and get inside the cam and birds constantly attack the bloomin thing.
Biggest problem with the swans as far as mine are concerned, is they are very power hungry. 8 x AA batteries can be fooked inside 3-4 days if there is regular night life about and even with sensitivity turned right down, wind and tree leaves can activate the cam for XXX seconds. A poor cam placement, a windy night, 3 hours worth of whistling wind noise, s**t all real footage and failed batteries...but you'll only do that once.

They do come with a 12v accessory port and Ive contemplated using a Lion 12v but havent got around to it.
Would I buy another ? yeah...I think I would if one of my others failed as well.

Mmmm...thats no use to me. I will be leaving the camera for up to 8 weeks.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 11 Sep 2019, 12:28 am

Sometimes you have to dial the sensitivity down otherwise the cameras will get triggered for every mouse fart of wind. Also I cut back any vegetation that is going to blow around and trigger the camera.

Batteries is one of the big annoying factors with them. Some like this one Moultrie camera I had was a total battery hog. I have better luck with Lithium batteries but they are more expensive. Alkaline works ok in summer but not winter.

One thing I will never buy again is a trail camera that takes 12 AA batteries. 8 AA batteries is a max for me now.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2019, 6:57 am

But they all seem to claim batteries will last a few months?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by meawls » 11 Sep 2019, 7:47 am

If finances will allow, look for a model that will accept a solar module. We’ve got 4 Trail cams permanently deployed across 2 properties. One has a terrific solar module plugged in - incorporates a small panel with its own permanently installed lithium batteries. This particular one - with 4G functionality- is mounted at our second property 350km away, and forwards a scheduled daily report to our email. The battery level has never fallen below 100%, even with lots of activations, and despite the fact that the panel receives a lot of shading throughout the day. These modules will run down their own batteries first then the cam will automatically switch to its own 12 batteries. They cost around $99 ... but can be had at times as package deals. check out Pro’s Choice or Outdoor Cameras (Toowoomba) online. The only drawback is that you need to run the included wiring between unit and cam - but this wasn’t a problem in our application. On the subject of batteries, have a look at Eneloop black NIMH rechargeable. We check and recharge our other 3 cams every three months and remaining capacity has always been a total least 3/4 full. These aren’t cheap but our idea is to do it once and do it right!!
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Sep 2019, 8:25 am

I have found that if I use eveready batteries I might get 5 days but the energisers will give me 5 weeks and still have a bit left :thumbsup:

its disappointing when you pick a camera up after 5 weeks and there is only 5 days footage on it :thumbsdown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:But they all seem to claim batteries will last a few months?

That’s stand by mate - not recording...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 11 Sep 2019, 1:20 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But they all seem to claim batteries will last a few months?

I have had inconsistent results.

I have an older one from around 2015 and it runs like a train taking thousands of pictures and I swap the batteries out every six to eight months. It keeps tabs on the driveway logging any suspicious vehicles that might drive up to the house.

The worst one I had was a Moultrie that took 12 batteries and killed them dead in a day and then did it again. Eventually Moultrie replaced it under warranty and the new one worked ok but was still a battery hog until it died recently. For whatever reason ants were attracted to it and attacked it and killed it dead.

I get best results with Lithium and Lithium also is apparently immune to the cold. My cameras experience temps anywhere from -30C to 40C in a year.

I have some new off brand ones I bought on Amazon and so far they seem to be holding up on batteries pretty good.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

wanneroo wrote:.

I have some new off brand ones I bought on Amazon and so far they seem to be holding up on batteries pretty good.

What are the cameras. Are they working ok?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 15 Sep 2019, 10:36 am

G'day,

I have purchased three trail cameras and still have two helping me keep tabs on who's visiting my bait sites. The two doing good service are:

1. Primos Little Mug Shot selling in Ballarat [Rehfisch's gun shop] ''on special'' for $149.00. It's basic and idiot proof. The pictures are satisfactory for seeing what's coming around for hunting purposes. The chassis seems quite solid. I've attached a sample photo. Here's a US ad: https://www.primos.com/primos-hunting/t ... c-92/p-118

The [red] flash of this camera is visible; some people believe this may scare off animals, but in the case of the many foxes [and the odd hare] on my property it seems to have had no negative effect. This is likely because the animals associated the flash positively with the food they were getting near the camera.

2. Kogan: https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-25mp ... il-camera/. This is more sophisticated, solid and works well. [See much sharper photo set at 14mp compared to the Primos 5 mp.] It's now cheaper than when I bought it too - now at $129.00. [It's the photo labelled Boly.] It is also possible to load animal calls onto the camera and set when they are play. I haven't tried that yet - it's a bit above my technical paygrade and I have an Icotec caller anyway.

The one camera I bought and is now gone [terminally!] was a wide angle camera made by Little Acorn. Similar features to the Kogan, but flimsy construction of the chassis and a poorly designed switch which was dodgy from the start and failed after three weeks. Apparently failure of the switch is a common issue. Access to the switch was via a very light little trap door on the bottom. The hinge was very fragile and broke easily. Junk!!!

I would certainly buy another Kogan camera. It's a beaut!

As for battery life, it seems pretty good so far; I haven't had any failures yet, but do change them at about 3 weeks to be certain. The Kogan uses 4 or 8 AAs, while the Primos uses 6 AAs. I'm using NiMH rechargeables.

Jim
Attachments
IMAG0075AB.jpg
IMAG0075AB.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 7952 times
IMAG0014Ab.jpg
IMAG0014Ab.jpg (1020.89 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 02 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have been waiting for Aldi to have their trail cams on again. But its looking a bit grim.
Ive noticed the trail cams below are available.

Kings are selling trail cameras for $89

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/trail-game-camera.html

Bunnings sell cameras too for $144

https://www.bunnings.com.au/swann-1080p ... m_p4211205

Has anyone purchased these. Are they any good.

Hi Oldbloke,
Just wondering if you ended up buying either of these cameras. I am looking at getting a couple of the Kings cameras but just wondering if they are any good?

Thanks mate 9.3x64
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

I’m also interested in the kings real soon. They are offering a pair of them for sale
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 02 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m also interested in the kings real soon. They are offering a pair of them for sale

Yes they are certainly cheap, I just hope they work properly and are reliable.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2020, 8:01 pm

No, bought 2 off eBay. In a few days I will post some info as the seem ok
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2020, 9:27 am

I got 2 of these. Seem ok so far. In total been out about a month each.

On amother forum they can the kings

BOBLOV Trail Camera Review • Enough Gun
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13096
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 03 Jun 2020, 9:38 am

Oldbloke wrote:I got 2 of these. Seem ok so far. In total been out about a month each.

Thanks, yes I did notice they have been can the kings.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2020, 9:43 am

9.3x64 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I got 2 of these. Seem ok so far. In total been out about a month each.

Thanks, yes I did notice they have been can the kings.

Yeh, fair few kings returned faulty. So far so good with my 2
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jun 2020, 1:11 pm

Ok, all you game camera bargain buyers; Aldi cameras, range finders and gadgets are back! Sale starts 4th July...See you all there.... 8-)

Aldi26062020.jpg
Aldi26062020.jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 1:45 pm

From memory...Those newer versions of the Aldi cameras are pretty poor fr night time pics.

The last/previous model to these they had actually flashed a red light for night pics, & i gather it utilised the infrared spectrum of that light for pics...but the trouble with that is they were easily seen & located by people, & they startled some animals...

The newer version--i believe its this one as pictured in RJ's catalogue post--actuaklly use IR illuminator, BUT, have a big hot spot with the IR illumination in the pic.

I have three or four of them, & any pics are badly burned/washed out at close range, & dont have much illumination beyond that short distance to easily make out objects/animals in the backround.

I have heaps of night pics where its impossible or hard to tell if there are animals in the pic due to them being a washy contrast from a heavy spot of IR light.

I dont think i have any examples as ive probably deleted them...but ill look later & post some if i can find any...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jun 2020, 2:11 pm

What are you capturing at night, Ants? :) I've got a few "burnt out pics of close range cats but the toms are pissing on the ground level camera set up.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 4:01 pm

Yes thats it RJ...How did you guess...i set up my trail cams to take pics of ants... :thumbsup:

And i find the 7-08 with a heavy base penetrating bullet ideal for shots out to 200 on said ants...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2020, 5:48 pm

They are too late selling them for me. Waited months,,,,,then got 2 Boblov units
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 5:56 pm

Boblov...sounds Russian when i say to myself in my head...they'll probably work well in the cold this time of year... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Fair enough, Stix. I set one up for feral cats and Percy Possum turned up instead. :mrgreen:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2020, 7:51 pm

Theyre Up off the ground RJ... :thumbsup: ...same thing...

Maybe its the batch i got...dunno... :unknown:

But i understand photography mate--spent 15 yrs in the industry servicing commercial sector, so i know & understand an image... :thumbsup:

I wouldnt & couldnt make up the statement i made...so just giving my experience to others who may want to take it on board...
Cant tell a cat from a fox in the close up-ish images i get out of that lot of cameras mate...thats how washed out they are...

& Just saying...the results i get from the last batch are absolutely crud as compared with the first lot i purchased...
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Jun 2020, 10:09 am

Does anyone else get their trail cams attacked by possums ? It’s pretty funny - they must see the infra - I’ve had said possums try and take covers off cameras, play with them, sneeze directly into the lens, all manner of things - it’s a bit of a crack up except you have to fix them lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2020, 10:49 am

TassieTiger wrote:Does anyone else get their trail cams attacked by possums ? It’s pretty funny - they must see the infra - I’ve had said possums try and take covers off cameras, play with them, sneeze directly into the lens, all manner of things - it’s a bit of a crack up except you have to fix them lol.

Not attacked, but have a pic of sambar sniffing my camera. Lol.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2020, 10:51 am

Stix wrote:Boblov...sounds Russian when i say to myself in my head...they'll probably work well in the cold this time of year... :lol:

Says "Made in China" on the box.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 27 Jun 2020, 11:53 am

TassieTiger wrote:Does anyone else get their trail cams attacked by possums ? It’s pretty funny - they must see the infra - I’ve had said possums try and take covers off cameras, play with them, sneeze directly into the lens, all manner of things - it’s a bit of a crack up except you have to fix them lol.

I have had bears trying to tear them up, raccoons, deer mess with them, etc.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment