Mounted torch

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Mounted torch

Post by GQshayne » 17 Oct 2019, 7:31 pm

One of these, or something similar to suit whatever torch you get, is a good option for mounting.

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-x ... pon-mount/
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Oct 2019, 10:19 pm

I'd just like to mention that I now have a mounted torch my two boys bought me an early birthday present after all the help and info on here about mountables they decided to go with the OLight m3xs-ut javelot apparently it is the latest one and is supposed to be good to 1000mtrs its 1200 Lumens I tried mine tonight and as a shot light it will be good to the 250yds which I think is far enough at night there was a little smoke around later on and i found the smoke affected it more than it affected the spotlight I am thinking that's because of the intensity of the light beam other than that didn't christen it but am quiet pleased with it at this stage so thanks to you all that helped with info and to make up my mind thanks all
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 25 Oct 2019, 10:41 pm

Good to know.
Keen to hear you report back on live game when you use it for shooting.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Oct 2019, 11:40 pm

It come with a magnet mount like GQshayne posted above and it works well on the stainless barrel of the 22-250
Member-Deleted

Post by Windston » 26 Oct 2019, 11:26 am

I have never had any issues with Astrolux torches, really pretty cheap online but not nasty. They are very popular in torch collectors, which believe it or not are a thing.

I have a small C8 that is great to have on the rifle, about 1300 lumens on turbo, and a FT-03 that has a huge throw, powered by readily available 18650 and 26650 batteries.

The C8 is just a model for a torch body, so there are a bunch of mods you can do, like buying a pressure switch to turn it on with your shooting hand.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 26 Oct 2019, 11:55 am

Olight with magnetic barrel mount. Do note that it dosnt stick well to stainless steel.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2019, 1:40 pm

Windston wrote:I have never had any issues with Astrolux torches, really pretty cheap online but not nasty. They are very popular in torch collectors, which believe it or not are a thing.

I have a small C8 that is great to have on the rifle, about 1300 lumens on turbo, and a FT-03 that has a huge throw, powered by readily available 18650 and 26650 batteries.

The C8 is just a model for a torch body, so there are a bunch of mods you can do, like buying a pressure switch to turn it on with your shooting hand.

What are these like (in terms of clearly making out a fox & the spread of the beam) out to 300 yds Windston...?

And do you know if coloured filters are available for them...?

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Oct 2019, 3:12 pm

GQshayne wrote:One of these, or something similar to suit whatever torch you get, is a good option for mounting.

https://www.olightstore.com.au/olight-x ... pon-mount/

after seeing this l bought one and used it with my Olight during the week, the best thing l have bought for a long while :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 4:17 pm

G'day Harrynsw yes I to was concerned about the magnet/stainless thing but the boys were assured by the shop owner that there would be no problems or he'd take the light back if we weren't happy with it and I can assure you that he was right on my barrel anyway my barrel is fluted with lengths of area not touching the magnets but there is no chance of dislodging the torch even it you should drop the rifle I understand your point as most marine grade stainless won't attract a magnet where as higher grade stainless can attract a magnet as much as a piece of steel most all stainless gun barrels are of very high grade stainless hence they will attract a magnet
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 4:37 pm

Yeah marksman I agree with you although I've never use the screw on mount but I definitely have no reason to go away from the magnetic type they hang on tight hey
Mate how do you find the distance of the beam with your Olight i'm not sure my batteries are fully charged and I reckon mine shines for shooting clear to 300m is this the same with yours i'll probably have to wait till my batteries go completely flat then recharge them to see how mine are actually performing
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 26 Oct 2019, 7:22 pm

Where do you mount the magnet--I'm assuming so the light is under the barrel & up muzzle end...?...

Also. have any of you who mount the light this way noticed a shift in the point of impact with the light hanging off the barrel...?

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 26 Oct 2019, 7:24 pm

What batteries do you have????

Like everything else, some are better than others. Does the torch take a 18650 battery??
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 10:21 pm

No Stix I shot a couple of targets and the rifle seems to be shooting the same poi of having no torch I know what you mean like the beam interfering with the scope maybe
that's why I tried with the torch all seems ok
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Oct 2019, 10:25 pm

CQshayne mate mine are Olight- 3.7v---2600 mAh ---18650 Rechargeable----made in china I haven't tried any others as yet
Member-Deleted

Post by flutch » 26 Oct 2019, 10:48 pm

gamo were selling a green laser torch that I wouldn't mind trying out, at least in as much as using it as a rough guide for where others should keep the spotlight pointed lol
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 27 Oct 2019, 12:29 am

G'day Harrynsw yes I to was concerned about the magnet/stainless thing but the boys were assured by the shop owner that there would be no problems or he'd take the light back if we weren't happy with it and I can assure you that he was right on my barrel anyway my barrel is fluted with lengths of area not touching the magnets but there is no chance of dislodging the torch even it you should drop the rifle I understand your point as most marine grade stainless won't attract a magnet where as higher grade stainless can attract a magnet as much as a piece of steel most all stainless gun barrels are of very high grade stainless hence they will attract a magnet

Well let me tell you that with a bit of a bump on the back of a it's it will fall off as it did on my Marlin 336SS
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 27 Oct 2019, 6:51 am

I use a ton of 18650 rechargeable s. I thought it was ok to stick them on charge at any stage of the cycle ? Hi
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 8:20 am

Blr243 i'm new to torches is there a stage like dead flat is when you charge them or can they be charged anytime could you help me with this I've heard some of these batteries are finicky at times depending on brand
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 27 Oct 2019, 8:22 am

BLR...Im of the belief that you should let rechargeable batteries run fllat before charging them.

We've been told you can top up the charge of batteries with every single change in rechargeable battery technology we've ever had, only for that to be contradicted in time.

So given that, i always let batteries run through a full cycle of charge & discharge...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 8:29 am

G'day Harrynsw mate sorry to hear that did it damage the torch mate I've got no explanation for that other than maybe yours is a different grade stainless used in the barrel
or maybe faulty magnets because mine definitely would not come off it may move slightly very minimal but not off no mate go me stumped
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 27 Oct 2019, 9:53 am

GDB. Check out the topic RIFLE MONTED TORCHES. By chappo. And in that topic MICK B. Appears to know a lot about rechargeable batteries. I have heard that if you leave lithium discharged for too long they die completely ( and by that I mean not just reduced llength of time battery will work for ) I mean it’s complete cactus .... I got that info from my my supplier of gps dog collar tracking people
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Oct 2019, 9:55 am

And if you end up wanting to stand by your original method you can always fit a new set if performance appears down then slowly discharge them after the hunt is over
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 3:35 pm

Yeah thanks for that Blr i'll follow up on that mate
Member-Deleted

Post by Shootermick » 27 Oct 2019, 4:15 pm

Anyone put one of those pic rails under the stock, the sort that attach to the sling stud.??
The Eagle Eye smart rest adapter looks ok, and it would be a solid way to attach a torch, better than the magnet job and no risk of scratching the barrel.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 27 Oct 2019, 6:56 pm

I have Panasonic Eneloop batteries mostly. Like everything you cab buy, batteries come cheap, and expensive. Panasonic are my pick.

Batteries have improved a lot in recent years. There was a time that how you charged them was critical, and if you were a bit slack the batteries would operate at reduced capacity, and/or not last very long. But the batteries we use now are far improved, and I simply recharge mine when performance drops off, and I do not discharge them fully prior to recharging any more.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 7:25 pm

Yeah marksman I agree with you although I've never use the screw on mount but I definitely have no reason to go away from the magnetic type they hang on tight hey
Mate how do you find the distance of the beam with your Olight i'm not sure my batteries are fully charged and I reckon mine shines for shooting clear to 300m is this the same with yours i'll probably have to wait till my batteries go completely flat then recharge them to see how mine are actually performing

l have been using the magnetic mount on the u/o shotgun
l still use the scope mounted figure 8 style on the scope
at full light (1200 lumens)or set on the medium setting (720 lumens) at 300m l have no worries picking up rabbits ect,
high steps down to 720 lumens after only 5 minutes, it is gradual and takes about 2 minutes, the light doesn't slowly get weaker and weaker like with other type batteries it will all of a sudden just not work when it is out of power or down as far as it will allow, that's why l have a light to find them and a light to shoot them
when the leds get hot there is a reduction of light as well and heat will kill the leds quicker, you can get back to high by turning the light off for a while and turning it back on, a backup set of batteries is a good thing although most of the time l dont use them
a lot of the time l am walking around in the dark flashing a light around occasionally till l find a target
if l'm in my car l usually use the roof mounted light or if l am being too lazy to set it up l will shoot off the bonnet after finding a target with another light
l have found that the Olight can be too intense on full and scares the quarry away even with a green lens so l like to set it up on medium
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 7:37 pm

So GQshayne you find that doesn't harm the battery by just topping them up it would be simpler if that was so mate I've never used these recharge batts before and not sure what is the best way to go about it
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 7:42 pm

Ah thanks marksman sounds good mate i'm going out to a cut block in 5min so i'll give it a try that info will be good thanks
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 7:46 pm

So GQshayne you find that doesn't harm the battery by just topping them up it would be simpler if that was so mate I've never used these recharge batts before and not sure what is the best way to go about it

the first time you recharge these lithium batteries they need to be fully charged but after that you can just top them up but dont completely let them ever go flat these batteries are made so they have a bit of charge left when they are flat but if they are flat and left for quite some time l think they would completely discharge and not be any good, l reckon its worth buying good batteries for them as well
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Oct 2019, 9:38 pm

Yeah marksman that'll be my next task finding out which batts would be the best
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment