ive learned my lesson..safe puchase

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

ive learned my lesson..safe puchase

Post by Zappa » 11 Nov 2019, 6:58 pm

purchased a 8 gun safe from a big chinese importers, advertising on ebay, located in Springvale.

Had it delivered today and noticed the box it came in in rough shape.After unboxing it, I noticed couldn't get the door closed. I guess the couriers werent too kind with it and at some stage landed on its face bending the door inwards. Couldnt turn the handle to lock door as the door was warped and not engaging along the inner lip.

This thing weighs next to nothing. It's flimsy and surprised by the weight. I was expecting something 50kg's and above. This thing weighs around 30kgs. Ive had filing cabinets heavier than this and the panels were quite easy to press in. They claim 2mm body and 3mm door. I have my reservations.

Sent the business and email to come pick this thing up and give me a full refund so I can go out and buy a proper safe.Like a Spika. One that I can't open it up like a sardine can with tin snips and 10 minutes.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: ive learned my lesson..safe puchase

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 7:37 pm

Sounds like just plunging a solid bladed knife into it , and then firmly drawing the knife thru the steel would open up that safe. Even though u have been screwed, it’s good that you post this to warn others
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Nov 2019, 7:38 pm

At Bunnings u can look and feel the product pre purchase, Gun shops prob have displays as well
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 11 Nov 2019, 7:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sounds like just plunging a solid bladed knife into it , and then firmly drawing the knife thru the steel would open up that safe. Even though u have been screwed, it’s good that you post this to warn others

Im surprised these things are classified cat A+B. 2mm of cheese metallurgy from the Chinese continent obviously suffices.
However I cannot find any steel specifications in the VIC firearms storage act..

https://content.police.vic.gov.au/sites ... 1573465548

(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 11 Nov 2019, 8:32 pm

Zappa wrote:purchased a 8 gun safe from a big chinese importers, advertising on ebay, located in Springvale.

Had it delivered today and noticed the box it came in in rough shape.After unboxing it, I noticed couldn't get the door closed. I guess the couriers werent too kind with it and at some stage landed on its face bending the door inwards. Couldnt turn the handle to lock door as the door was warped and not engaging along the inner lip.

This thing weighs next to nothing. It's flimsy and surprised by the weight. I was expecting something 50kg's and above. This thing weighs around 30kgs. Ive had filing cabinets heavier than this and the panels were quite easy to press in. They claim 2mm body and 3mm door. I have my reservations.

Sent the business and email to come pick this thing up and give me a full refund so I can go out and buy a proper safe.Like a Spika. One that I can't open it up like a sardine can with tin snips and 10 minutes.

That’s no good, hope you get a full refund. I’ve got two Spika’s, both 12 gun safes, which doesn’t mean that 12 guns actually fit properly, but anyway.. Apart from that, they’re good safes, but the more recent one I bought has the shelves all the way down the door, which I liked the look of at the time. But the bottom shelf will hit the stocks of the guns when you shut the door. So much so that I cut it out with the mini angle grinder. Now it’s fine, but I don’t use any of the other shelves either really, so may as well have none there. So just make sure the door closes flush on the inside and doesn’t protrude into the safe itself.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 11 Nov 2019, 10:42 pm

Be wary of how many they will hold just remember its a 410 shotgun unsighted that they use as a standard.
I have a Sch2 Spika sposed to hold 30 somthing I am hard-pressed to get 28 in it .
Get the largest you can afford you can always buy more guns to fill it .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 12 Nov 2019, 12:13 pm

It sucks to have an experience like yours. These sorts of issues ( and saving money to buy the gear to put in it) are why I built my own safes. They are not that hard to build and don’t need any special equipment - even bending 4 mm plate can be done on your back lawn. You only need a 4 1/2” angle grinder, welder, a pedestal drill, a bunch of clamps and measuring gear.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 12 Nov 2019, 12:26 pm

Noisydad wrote: even bending 4 mm plate can be done on your back lawn. You only need a 4 1/2” angle grinder, welder, a pedestal drill, a bunch of clamps and measuring gear.

If you can build your own safe, less than what the'yre asking - power to you.

Ive got all those tools, but wouldn't know where to start. Recessed hinges and fabricating the door, would be a problem for me. I could frame up a steel box but that's where it ends. Plus I couldnt make it for less than $400. 2400 x 1200 x 4 sheets are $200 ea !.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 12 Nov 2019, 3:18 pm

PayPal is your friend! Lodge a claim through them..
Last edited by RoginaJack on 12 Nov 2019, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Nov 2019, 6:54 pm

I'd you bought of eBay most sellers are reasonable and will promptly refund you.

I could do with a safe just for ammo..... or maybe i need to go shooting more and less time on forums...hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Zappa » 12 Nov 2019, 7:22 pm

Ziad wrote:I'd you bought of eBay most sellers are reasonable and will promptly refund you.

I just hope they dont ask me to pay return postage. :? The courier company should wear this one.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Clem » 12 Nov 2019, 8:09 pm

Zappa wrote:purchased a 8 gun safe from a big chinese importers, advertising on ebay, located in Springvale.

I had a similar experience, when I received my safe I had purchased on the net, the lock mechanism was buggered. Luckily I received a full refund.

I ended up buying a safe from the StMarys Range.

Lesson learnt..... :mrgreen:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Nov 2019, 5:01 am

I’m a sheet metal worker by trade, and have the ability and access to equipment to build a safe. But a powder coated “spika” is better for me than the time and money stuffing around to make one. I got the 8-10 gun safe, it comfortably holds 6 , I like a little space between my rifles to prevent knocking them around getting them in and out. As I’ve heard many times, i shoulda bought a bigger one :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Nov 2019, 10:57 am

[quote="Zappa"
I just hope they dont ask me to pay return postage. :? The courier company should wear this one.[/quote]

if you can show its not what it was advertised as "it wasn't what was advertised" the seller will pay return postage

l had a similar thing happen last xmas when the photo of an item was not the same as the sent item, the seller would not send me a return coupon (or called something like that) so after having a small meltdown to e-bay they gave him 5 days to respond and send me the return slip, he didn't so l didn't have to return the 4 fishing rods worth over $400 that l still have and was refunded by e-bay, this ebay seller also tried to change things on the add but l had taken photos of everything so l could prove he was a cheat
read up on it first before making a complaint but you do have time limits to consider :drinks:

and
"Im surprised these things are classified cat A+B. 2mm of cheese metallurgy from the Chinese continent obviously suffices.
However I cannot find any steel specifications in the VIC firearms storage act.."

in vic there aren't any the wording "not easily penetrable" is what you have to consider
my local DFO will not allow old school lockers to be used in my area because he can open them up with an old can opener so they are easily penetrable
he will allow homemade gun storage lockers but there are a heap of rules that go with it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2019, 4:27 am

There is an australian standard they use a guide. Sorry dont have a copy.

What annoys me about this is lockers were ok under the regs. Then some cop decides he wants safes and we are all expected to comply. But they dont send you any info in writing. And the reg have never changed.

Edit to fix typos
Last edited by Oldbloke on 16 Nov 2019, 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Nov 2019, 5:19 am

Techinically even a lockable wood cupboard is fine under regs
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

Ziad wrote:Techinically even a lockable wood cupboard is fine under regs

it states "hardwood" but it will not be allowed for very much longer if what l hear is correct
in the area l am in, the number of stolen firearms have apparently gone down since this dfo has been in the job
so really he is doing his job or it would seem that his changes look justifiable if crime figures for stolen firearms are correct
l would like to see how this would end up after a court battle because of the wording in the regs but when he has people from the large gun clubs under his wing its hopeless to think they would even talk against what has been happening because they wont and dont :thumbsdown:

and Oldbloke
"What annoys me about this is lockers were ok under the regs. Then some cop decides he wants safes and we are all expected to comply. But they dont send you any info in writing. And the reg have never changed."

these lockers are still ok under the regs, just everyone who has one is being told they have a time limit to make the change, the reason they do not send info or even put it up on there web site is because it is not right and nobody has challenged it
the new licence holders are told at the firearm safety tests that they cannot use the old lockers, they are being phased out :unknown:
the problem is that we dont get a say and our clubs do not back us up, that is fact
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Nov 2019, 8:09 pm

RoginaJack wrote:PayPal is your friend! Lodge a claim through them..

Do NOT rely on that.

Recently my partner bought a Mini Clubman from what turned out to be a 100% lying shonky Bustard in Adelaide Sth Aus.

The ad said,,, No mechanical work needed, and No rust.

After it was shipped up here we discovered ,,,,

> the carburettor is crook as, and needs rebuilding
> hardly any of the electrics worked and she has spent $500 at the auto sparkies to get things working
> The driver side floor pan was completely rusted out and had a piece of plywood cut to shape under the floor covering.
> Both sill panels were rusted out and full of bog (painted over afterwards)

PayPal were as useless as t!ts on a bull, and refused to organize any form of come back or money reimbursement.
Even though it was blatantly Not As Described.
They kept saying we had to deal with PayPal America, and they in turn kept saying we had to deal with PayPal Australia.
And, we couldn't take the issue to the seller because the Moron refused to answer calls from my partner and refused to answer messages.

I have myself so far cut the floor pan out and fitted a new one, and cut the sill panels out (full length) and folded up new ones to MIG in.

So don't rely on PayPal to help you,,,,,,,,, they make promises but don't act on them.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by kneelo » 15 Nov 2019, 9:23 pm

Recently built my first safe from 6mm plate. With the full 6 pin reinforced door it ended up at least 200kg. Wasn't cheap or fast but was really satisfying to design and build.
kneelo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2019, 6:19 am

"these lockers are still ok under the regs, just everyone who has one is being told they have a time limit to make the change, the reason they do not send info or even put it up on there web site is because it is not right and nobody has challenged it
the new licence holders are told at the firearm safety tests that they cannot use the old lockers, they are being phased out."

My whole point. No legislation change, nor regulations. Police dont vote the law in. Grrrrrrr
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Nov 2019, 6:26 am

Die, s**t that's bad mate.

But why buy a car sight unseen. The transaction unless it happened on eBay is a private transaction and that's why it's not covered by PayPal. If you buy through eBay or a merchant account you have more rights
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2019, 12:39 pm

Ziad wrote:Die, s**t that's bad mate.

But why buy a car sight unseen. The transaction unless it happened on eBay is a private transaction and that's why it's not covered by PayPal. If you buy through eBay or a merchant account you have more rights

Well Mate,,,,, it was definitely a 100% ebay transaction.

Sight unseen apart from photos, but went ahead purely on the basis of PAYPAL protection policies,,,,,,,,,,,,, but they don't do what they promise.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 1:02 pm

I feel for you Die Judi but..... A rust free Mini is as rare as rocking horse poo. Unless it was a bare metal restoration and was priced accordingly you must have been expecting a bit of work. I appreciate that the seller was less than forthcoming with you.

I have never been caught out like this but then again I have never bought a car without looking over it first. I have owned several XB and XA Ford Falcons which came from the factory with complementary rusty bits but I knew what I was in for.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2019, 1:08 pm

Yeah SJC429,,,,
I hear ya.
We weren't expecting perfection by any means, but the extent of the blatant misrepresentation and outright lies made my blood boil.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2019, 6:18 am

After being bitten a couple of times I no longer buy anything of the net for more than about $100.
But I do buy a lot of the cheapy stuff. And save a lot in the process.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Nov 2019, 6:24 pm

Poor man pays twice...
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand