Review Powabeam Pro250

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Review Powabeam Pro250

Post by Am88 » 18 Nov 2019, 3:14 pm

I posted a while ago about the Hellfyr by Fyrlite and only got a few responses, also doing some more research alot of complaints about wiring and lens cracking, after a little more research I came across the Powabeam equivilant, it's 24v and runs a converter and 250watt beam same as the Hellfyr. I was hesitant at first about the Powabeam and for one reason only, adjusting the beam is a right royal pain in the bum if you don't get it right, the whole lens has to come out just to get to the bulb. However apparently they have revised this and it is now adjustable via the rear of the reflector which is great.

Awaited package and received in the mail, nice shiny black finish, wiring is quality however I have upgraded slightly how it's run, I run mine removable on a roof rack out my drivers window, so a deutsch plug at the light andone at the converter to be able to just simply disconnect it without wrangling the wires and good to go. Difference between my original powabeam 12v 100watt is well...... night and day pun intended as I'd expect. Biggest difference other then brightness is the width of the beam even when its adjusted to a point, great coverage. will take a couple of photo's of wiring setup but this is the initial turn on, the edge of the cornfield there is 165 meters from the ute where it was sitting. When I get a chance I will do a side by side comparison.

Word of caution, shop around.... I'm all for buying local and supporting my local shop as I know em, but when it's $150 or thereabouts cheaper online, I'm going save my pennies thanks.
Attachments
Powerbeam Pro250.jpg
Powerbeam Pro250.jpg (208.69 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Review Powabeam Pro250

Post by 8x57 » 18 Nov 2019, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the review I’m looking at another powa beam so will follow this post with interest
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2019, 6:29 pm

I don't reckon much will want to sit still with such intense light (HD's aren't the best option either at times) I find things sit still longer with weaker light output myself (own 3 Diff Spotlights) from HD to Halogen and the Halogen seems to be the better when it comes to smacking stuff easier as it tends to sit there where as the HD seems to see them moving around more.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 18 Nov 2019, 7:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I don't reckon much will want to sit still with such intense light (HD's aren't the best option either at times) I find things sit still longer with weaker light output myself (own 3 Diff Spotlights) from HD to Halogen and the Halogen seems to be the better when it comes to smacking stuff easier as it tends to sit there where as the HD seems to see them moving around more.

Its a simple concept a lot of folk miss Big Fella... :thumbsup:

Us guys who drive many a country mile know all too well what its like when the twat coming toward you, with enough led & hid lighting on his rig to dull the neon signs & fireworks at Times Square on NYE, doesnt dip his lights...ffs...!!...
For me its foot off the gas & veer over to the verge, wait for vision to return & back on the gas after the prick has passed... :evil: :evil: :evil: :roll:

For animals its the same...its very uncomfortable to look at one of them as compared to a halogen...!!

Last weekend i got friendly with a fox...had her area lit up with my 240 blitz while she looked for cute little mice & grasshoppers to eat...twice i flicked on the led scope mounted torch & she looked up & got all titchy & started to head off because the led put the heebie-geebies up her...so i turned that off pronto & kept her in the halogen spot without issue...
Took a good 30 mins or so before she worked her way up the hill so far as to expose enough of her torso above grass/shrubbery to send a 32 grainer out of the 204--under halogen of course.. :thumbsup: ..
...rightoh...there she is side on & half chest out of scrubby bushes...loud lip squeek...she looks up...gentle squeeze...BANG... wait for it...wwwaaiitt for iiitt...."POP"...ah there it is...!!! :D
Standing over her, the car pinged-ded back at 186 yds...near on a full moon too...!!

Sorry for the self glory...it put a big smile on my face...!!!

Anyway...back to spotlights...AM88--id love a bit of detail on the mechanism, plug-n-play, & how you go with different types of animals reactions to the light... :thumbsup: ...
Very keen to hear more & see the pics of your set-up... :clap:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2019, 8:38 pm

The best way to use those high intensity lights is to keep the critters on the edge of the beam and get your xhairs on em if they are still and if need be move the beam on them more (they tend to want to move more with the higher intensity) so you have to be quick as a rule.

Rabbits seem to really hate them, they just seem to keep moving around non stop I find, foxes aren't overly keen either, neither are roos.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Am88 » 19 Nov 2019, 8:08 am

bigfellascott wrote:The best way to use those high intensity lights is to keep the critters on the edge of the beam and get your xhairs on em if they are still and if need be move the beam on them more (they tend to want to move more with the higher intensity) so you have to be quick as a rule.

Rabbits seem to really hate them, they just seem to keep moving around non stop I find, foxes aren't overly keen either, neither are roos.

Pretty much responded with what I was going to respond to your other post :lol: . Even the old powabeam you could not put the light directly on them culling roos, its about the peripheral light it puts out with the beam, have taken a few critters out with it and just needed to get used to holding the beam a tad higher compared to normal. It's not a different colour obviously just brighter, I am not a fan of HID searchlights, too bright for my eyes
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by geoff » 19 Nov 2019, 9:28 am

Thanks for the post - i've recently bought a Hellfyr and am also mounting on a portable roof mount. I will post up my review once i get it out for a look around
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Am88 » 19 Nov 2019, 12:46 pm

geoff wrote:Thanks for the post - i've recently bought a Hellfyr and am also mounting on a portable roof mount. I will post up my review once i get it out for a look around

Good stuff hopefully there is no issues like I stated it was just one customers feedback, maybe not enough air flow going over the lens maybe not sure. Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment