Bag rest

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bag rest

Post by loadedbore » 02 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

Hi guys what is the best material to fill bag rests with?
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Bag rest

Post by Blr243 » 02 Jan 2020, 4:29 pm

I use cheap split peas from the supermarket But humidity might turn into a big stinking mess one day ... pretty sure there is cracked plastic filler on eBay. Mine are heavy to lug around
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by loadedbore » 02 Jan 2020, 4:54 pm

Some one suggested cat litter
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2020, 5:21 pm

I use wheat, some use rice.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm

Sand blasting grit.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by pomemax » 02 Jan 2020, 5:42 pm

search out plastic pelets if you find they bag is too light like me just add more
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 02 Jan 2020, 5:43 pm

i recently bought a pair of Spika bag rests from the LGS.. i swear to god the pellets inside them are wholemeal kitty litter
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CAVEMAN » 02 Jan 2020, 5:46 pm

I got a bag of cheap sand from Bunnings, baked it to remove any moisture then it poured in nicely. They are ridiculously heavy but also solid as a rock.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Jan 2020, 6:50 pm

sungazer wrote:Sand blasting grit.

Good idea,

Fine Quartz sand is good media. You could use lead shot in the bottom of the bag and sand in the ears, this would not comply to the rules if you compete but if you don't, it would work very well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 02 Jan 2020, 6:53 pm

The sand blasting grit from somewhere like SCA is heavy. It is pretty common in rear bags perfectly legal for competition.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GQshayne » 02 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

Why are you blokes not using sand?????
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm

I'm using this stuff currently - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Kilo-Plastic-Poly-Pellets-For-Weighted-Blankets-Quilts-and-Toys/254026810496

You need almost 5kg to fill the Caldwell front and rear bags.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jan 2020, 10:34 pm

GQshayne wrote:Why are you blokes not using sand?????

The obvious reason, water turns it into a lump.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Jan 2020, 7:42 am

GQshayne wrote:Why are you blokes not using sand?????

The air blasting sand has two good properties. In bags that you pack tight it is nice and heavy and it compacts well. In a bag that you may place under a bag so a level can be made it flows well and doesn't clump a good level surface can be quickly made.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 04 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm using this stuff currently - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Kilo-Plastic-Poly-Pellets-For-Weighted-Blankets-Quilts-and-Toys/254026810496

You need almost 5kg to fill the Caldwell front and rear bags.

l have been waiting for Stix who put me onto this stuff to reply with this as l forgot what it was
it works for me as well :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2020, 5:12 pm

Pretty sure I got onto them via the forum as well.
I've tried different stuff, including filling them with .22LR brass. I bought a drum of blasting grit but haven't tried it yet as the plastic pellets are working well so far. I wrote to Caldwell and asked them what they fill them with - crushed walnut shells I think they said.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jan 2020, 7:30 pm

We have sandbags (with sand) that we have had for more then 30 years. Still work. I don't shoot in the rain so no problems.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pudlux » 04 Jan 2020, 7:36 pm

In rear bag I use for hunting, l fill with foam bean bag beans. Works great - Light, non absorbent, nil odour. Not sure how they would go in front bag though.
Pudlux
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jan 2020, 7:29 am

I just use sand from the park across the road, works great, it's heavy which is perfect for my needs (I leave them sitting on the window sill when out shooting)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Jan 2020, 10:38 am

bigfellascott wrote:I just use sand from the park across the road, works great, it's heavy which is perfect for my needs (I leave them sitting on the window sill when out shooting)

I use a similar thing made out of jeans denim where I sewed up one leg and filled it with the sand from the kids sandpit. Now they sell "tac bags" to do the same thing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jan 2020, 11:37 am

SCJ429 wrote:
I use a similar thing made out of jeans denim where I sewed up one leg and filled it with the sand from the kids sandpit. Now they sell "tac bags" to do the same thing.

Yeah I make them out of anything and everything and in all manner of sizes and shapes, cheapest thing to make I reckon - I would never buy one when I can make so many so cheaply and exactly how I want them for my needs. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by loadedbore » 07 Jan 2020, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the advice
loadedbore
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jan 2020, 9:40 pm

Yep...
Years ago i bought a 20kg bag of recycled granulared plastic...

Trust me...its the ducks nuts of bag filling...

Im just 24 hrs back from a fur bush fest & here is the setup i use for sniping (my sniping is only out to 300ish yds)
2020-01-07 21.27.01.jpg
2020-01-07 21.27.01.jpg (399.04 KiB) Viewed 5816 times

Both the front & rear bags are filled with plastic...
Plenty heavy enough for requirements, while being relatively light when compared with sand... :thumbsup:
Ill leave the sand cartage for paving & concreting, & the weight lifting for people who want to spend their time in a gym...
(The blue chux cloth under the rifle on front bag is for slippage so the rifle slides nicely)...

My rear bag is just an old blue sports sock...(can just see the edge of it in pic).
Inly an hour after that pic was taken i left it on the bonnet & drove off...lost it...!!!

It rained/drizzle next morning--actually most of next day, but i retraced my steps & thanks to low grass kevels, i found it where i last had it--on a 260 yd shot on a fox back on the scrub line...!!
It was saturated..thats it in bottom left corner of pic below...
If it was rice or wheat it'd be cactus...but i just put it in the sun for 3 hrs & it was weel & truely dry... :clap:
2020-01-07 21.23.27.jpg
2020-01-07 21.23.27.jpg (435.15 KiB) Viewed 5816 times

Its back on duty for next time...

Ive had that sock for years now--about 4 or 5 actually--since i lost the last one off back of a ute...

Plastic is all ill ever use now...sand is in my view, too heave & impracticsl for ehat i need it for... :drinks:

BTW.. there is 2 foxes & about 5 bunny's in that pic...
Foxes around the 250yds & bunnys from 280-320 yds...
It was an amazing hour of watching 2 fox pups play & bunnys seemingly aware they were safe around silly fox pups... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Potatoes » 07 Jan 2020, 9:50 pm

Stix wrote:Yep...
Years ago i bought a 20kg bag of recycled granulared plastic...

Trust me...its the ducks nuts of bag filling...

Im just 24 hrs back from a fur bush fest & here is the setup i use for sniping (my sniping is only out to 300ish yds)
2020-01-07 21.27.01.jpg

Both the front & rear bags are filled with plastic...
Plenty heavy enough for requirements, while being relatively light when compared with sand...

Where does one procure granulated plastic from? I don’t really feel i should be chucking milk cartons in the blender
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Jan 2020, 11:10 pm

Well to be honest...im not sure mate...
Sorry...dont mean to be difficult...

Instead of the blender, you could try the lawn mower.. :unknown: . :lol: :lol: :lol:

When i sourced it, it took a good amount of phone calls to get hold of it iuntili finally convinced a wholesaler to sell me a bag...

I did come across a guy who exports it in huge quantities & said he'd give me as much as i wanted, but he was heading overseas & so couldn't help me for a month until he got back...ive since lost his details unfortunately--not that it would help you anyway as he was down here.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SJ_Long-Range » 18 Feb 2020, 12:45 pm

Bean Bag beans as mentioned are lightweight non absorbing material and cheap.
SJ_Long-Range
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Feb 2020, 4:32 pm

Bloody hell BFS, looks like that red stick is working hard, soaked the s**t out of your rest!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 19 Feb 2020, 7:15 pm

For laying a rifle across a bonnet I reckon a single 800 mm long bag wood be tops and be easy to shake and shuffle around for a great base. Need to make better padded shoot racks for my quad over the next couple of days ......also need to shoot another cat I Have not shot one since early January... not sure how the cats feel about this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment