Beach Sand

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Beach Sand

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jan 2020, 8:53 pm

What is wrong with putting beach sand in my new, rabbit-eared rear bag? I bought a kilo of cheap rice and the damn stuff won't go in :oops: , even with a lot of "persuasion". I do have some beach sand and sandblasting grit is over $30 for 10 kg so it is really tempting to go with the BS. Ordering plastic pellets from ebay is not an option because I am busting to go shooting on Saturday.
If only that rice had worked :cry:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Beach Sand

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 8:59 pm

Not sure why u had trouble getting rice in the bag , I put split peas from the supermarket in mine with no prob. Sand should be easier. I can’t think of a reason sand would not work but is the canvas type bag permeable ? I mean would fine beach sand leak from the bag and become messy ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm

If u go to the beach to collect sand , petrol six pack and fish and chips while you are there and all of a sudden the sand is no longer as cheap as you thought
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm

If u go to the beach to collect sand , petrol six pack and fish and chips while you are there and all of a sudden the sand is no longer as cheap as you thought
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Jan 2020, 9:33 pm

That was quick, Blr :D
Already got the sand and the bag is a leather Protektor. It even smells nice ;) But I reckon the holes in your bag must be much bigger than mine because the rice just would not flow, even when poked with a sharp stick and banged on the table. :wtf:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 30 Jan 2020, 9:58 pm

Is unstitching an option Wm...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm

Save the rice for your Chinese, sand is a much better option.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 30 Jan 2020, 10:15 pm

I firstly disagreed with you there scj...initially...then i quietly apologised to you because i read the orgnl post again...
I just assumed it was a front bag like one of those tack driver types...silly me... :oops:

If its a rear bag for bench shooting id go with sand.

Ive got a couple of cheaper ones filled with lighter crap they're supplied with & they are rubbish.

Id only use plastic if it was for quick over bonnet hunting shots.

So sand should be fine Wm...

If you're worried about it, just wash it a couple times & dry it out in the oven...sounds stupid but will work & is easy enough to do...

Especially wash it if its brickies sand as that will have clay in it--you dont want that...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 31 Jan 2020, 12:45 am

I live in a sea side village and have been using beach sand for more than 30 years and never had a problem ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 31 Jan 2020, 6:06 am

You need to put a plastic tube down through the leather opening its a long tongue type then put a funnel onto the tube then you will have no problems..
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 31 Jan 2020, 7:56 am

The reason they say sand is not good for some is basically for warranty. The weight (mass) of sand might cause the stiching to come undone, well pots extra pressure on the stiching
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Jan 2020, 8:24 am

Lots of interesting news there, especially from deye243 :thumbsup: I'll go to the beach this a.m. :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2020, 12:02 pm

Sand,,,,no problemo. Perhaps sieve first
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Jan 2020, 1:13 pm

Thanks Oldbloke :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 31 Jan 2020, 1:59 pm

These are mine and yes a sieve and a funnel is needed
20200131_145351.jpg
20200131_145351.jpg (28.85 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

20200131_145423.jpg
20200131_145423.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

Screenshot_20200131-145820_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200131-145820_Gallery.jpg (720.22 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Jan 2020, 3:47 pm

Yep, that rear bag looks just like mine.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by tophet1 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:11 am

Buy a cheap funnel and anything with the grain size of sand will be easier to pour into the bag.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 01 Feb 2020, 8:39 am

I use the 2mm dia plastic balls that are more commonly used in weighting curtains, drapes etc. These aren't as heavy as sand but are inert, will not absorb moisture from the atmosphere, nor harbour anything such as salt/clay etc. Don't need washing/drying prior to use but you will need a funnel to fill your bags with this stuff.
Horses for courses, use whatever you think is best suited to your needs.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Feb 2020, 1:01 pm

I use the plastic for field bags you can get it off eBay they also use it for stuffed toys ......

Screenshot_20200201-140338_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200201-140338_Gallery.jpg (776.21 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Feb 2020, 7:08 pm

:twisted: :D ;) :..stuffed toys". I won't tell anyone mate.............honest
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

I was not very well yesterday. Had an intermittent headache and even felt weak and a bit shaky. So the new bag that I was busting to try out did not get completely filled, plus this that and the other thing but today was heaps better and I did a "dummy-run", with the bag, after filling it properly, in the garage. Using a collapsible table and the usual front rest, I sighted out the back door on someone's roof antenna. The result surprised me. The horizontal "flick" of the reticle, that I have been experiencing for yonks, was gone. Carefully I moved the crosshair/dot to the very edge of the galvanised pole and watched. Carefully, I put my thumb on top of the pistol grip and my finger on the trigger. My hand merely rested on the grip. If the dot was flicking, I could not see it. It was not flicking away from and back to, the edge of the pole, as it would have done previously.

In the past, my rear bag has been a Jumbo Bigfoot, which was used for F Class. For various reasons, I decided to replace it with the Protektor. None of those reasons had any thing to do with the horizontal flick, which has plagued me for so long.
The other change that was made today, was to clamp the fore end in the front rest rather firmly BUT a few days ago, I clamped the fore end in a Bench Vice, with the butt supported by the Jumbo. To cut a long story short, the reticle still flicked.

I can scarcely believe my luck but the real proof of this "pudding" ;) will be in the shooting. Now, I really can't wait :lol:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Jeff » 16 Feb 2020, 2:12 pm

Using sand,How much do you fill the bag and ears
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Feb 2020, 2:24 pm

Fill the bag as much as possible, tap it down and keep on filling. The ears need a little give, firm but not solid.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jeff » 16 Feb 2020, 5:31 pm

Thanks
Jeff
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment