Toss the bipod?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Toss the bipod?

Post by firstguns » 04 Feb 2020, 8:07 pm

So I've picked up a used Howa 1500 in .223, with the old Hogue stock on it. It came with a Harris bipod on it, but seems to suffer the usual Hogue problem when on the bipod - the stock touches the barrel right at the front. A card throughout the rest will still slide, but jams up right at the front.

Is it pointless to attempt to shoot well like this? Should I pull the bipod off and swap for some bags?

I'm probably just counting down to a new stock (B&C or Boyds), but in the meantime, my understanding is I'll never really get accurate shooting with the stock rubbing the barrel
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Toss the bipod?

Post by Potatoes » 04 Feb 2020, 8:34 pm

Yeah ive just been through this exact thing. Ive gone the from the hogue to the boyds thumbhole and it is definitely stiffer. It feels nicer in the hand, but I must say though i was a little disappointed with the fit and finish of the boyds stock, it had rough machining and needed a bit of sanding in a few places to get the action to fit properly. It also didn’t sit straight in the stock from the get go. The length of pull is also shorter than the hogue stock, so thats another work in progress.

The bipod is convenient, but my bags are slightly better. The bipod never felt right. I felt the rifle jumped more left or right. Maybe my technique isn’t 100% though. Next visit to lgs im going to het a proper front rest. They start from $60. Either that or make one from timber.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Feb 2020, 8:49 pm

Try shooting it off the bipod and see how it goes. If that is no good, fill a bag with sand and use that as your front rest.

Manufactures sometimes use pressure bedding where the fore end puts pressure on the barrel. Some rifles shoot OK like this, try it before you modify it. Also the GRS Bifrost stock does not require bedding and is great to use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 04 Feb 2020, 9:18 pm

Field hunting or range ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by firstguns » 05 Feb 2020, 4:40 am

Blr243 wrote:Field hunting or range ?

At the moment range, because I'm learning, but looking to move to hunting/varminting with it
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 05 Feb 2020, 6:34 am

I like to use a bipod in all situations other than standing. Never been a bag rester unless it was compulsory.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by tophet1 » 05 Feb 2020, 7:37 am

Get some round dowel wrapped in sandpaper and 'file' out the front of the forend. Make sure when the bipod is on the stock no longer contacts the barrel. There are youtube videos on how to also stiffen the stock. Both methods are only a work around. Buy a B&C stock. They come with pillars which you should add to a Boyds. Pay once, cry once.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:14 am

For range use I think toss the bipod. And then if u can manage to adjust your stock to not touch even then stay with the bag. But if you think a bipod will assist you in the field it’s worth having once u have sorted the stock touching issue. Ferris ( member here ) has a new rest device that he’s pretty stoked with. Can’t remember the name of it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 8:14 am

For range use I think toss the bipod. And then if u can manage to adjust your stock to not touch even then stay with the bag. But if you think a bipod will assist you in the field it’s worth having once u have sorted the stock touching issue. Ferris ( member here ) has a new rest device that he’s pretty stoked with. Can’t remember the name of it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by firstguns » 05 Feb 2020, 8:21 am

Blr243 wrote: Ferris ( member here ) has a new rest device that he’s pretty stoked with. Can’t remember the name of it

Is it one of those tree wrap-around things I've seen advertised in the SSAA magazine? Lock around the truck of a tree, with a u-shaped bracket rest?

Thanks for the other advice - sort of thinking that way. In the short-medium term it'll be a range use until I figure this whole shooting thing out (or at least figure it out enough to feel comfortable shooting in less-controlled conditions). I've got a front and rear bag from XHunter, will fill them and just get shooting while I figure the rest out.
A B&C or something is super tempting, especially given I bought used and the stock I've got has had a couple of light knocks etc.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2020, 12:16 pm

I don’t think your description matches the product. Ferrisweil is his user name send him a pm It’s a type of rest that is adaptable to many different field positions
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by John » 15 Apr 2020, 11:30 pm

I’m not a fan of bipods got a few of them I seem to be able to shoot better off my back pack
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 16 Apr 2020, 8:40 am

Yes forget it and get a wood, laminate or chassis stock for it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 16 Apr 2020, 8:40 am

Yes forget it and get a wood, laminate or chassis stock for it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 16 Apr 2020, 10:32 am

l dont like the hogue stocks but this is a way to help with the flex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-Oovk-7zE

and some good advise here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3667
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment