Can a Bore Snake damage the Rifle Bore?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Can a Bore Snake damage the Rifle Bore?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 06 Feb 2020, 8:05 pm

Hey guys

I hope that everyone here is well

Just a quick question

I've just cleaned my rifle for the very 1st time

Long story short;
- I've sprayed some G96 through the barrel
- I've run the bore snake through the bore a couple of times
(3x times to be exact)
To give the bore a good scrub etc

The bore snake came out pretty dry in the end
The bore snake seemed dry enough

My question is;
If I were to run the bore snake a couple more times
(To make absolutely sure that the bore is 100% dry)
Is that safe for the barrel/bore?

Does using a bore snake too much, too many times in a row, can that damage the barrel/bore of the rifle?

What do you guys reckon?
:)
:drinks:
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 06 Feb 2020, 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Damaging the bore with a bore snake?

Post by Blr243 » 06 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm

I don’t think the snakes bite is that poisonous. I think all is going to be ok Target shooters and gunnuts prob know a lot more about it than I
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Feb 2020, 8:30 pm

Mate I have looked at the bore snakes and entertained the idea of grabbing one for a quick clean out Bush. In theory I guess they are ok however my advice would be to get yourself a cleaning rod, jags, brushes, etc, to clean your rifle.
Mate there are several threads in here regarding cleaning regimes and products. Almost everyone has a variation in technique and products.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Feb 2020, 8:40 pm

You can abrade your barrel using a bore snake. Fine in an emergency or if you have a lever action you are not too worried about. Get yourself a good rod and a bore guide, then use a carbon cleaner and follow that with copper solvent. Then use your gun oil.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 06 Feb 2020, 8:41 pm

Thanks BLR243

Thanks JimTom
For my rifle
(The Henry Youth Lever Action .22LR)

I think I don't have a choice but to use a bore snake
(Because of how my rifle is designed)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Feb 2020, 8:54 pm

I purchased a bore snake about 5 years ago for my 243. Soon after i dont know if was ocd or just the thought of dragging a dirt impregnated rope through rifle barrel the idea did and still doesn't really apeal to me at all. And hence why after 5 years i still have a unused and unopened 243 bore snake.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 06 Feb 2020, 9:00 pm

Yeah
I mean
Using a bore snake wasn't what I wanted

But the sales Lad in the store told me that this was the best way to clean my lever action

Coz I don't think you can get a rod in there

I'll have a look at it again soon
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 06 Feb 2020, 9:20 pm

I have a bore snake for all of my rifles and they all shoot sub moa and have all had hundreds if not over 1000 rounds through them or more and bore snake has made the journey through them plenty of times. no issues.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 06 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm

Thanks Flutch

Like I said in the thread

I've put some G96 down the barrel
Ran the bore snake 3x times
The bore snake came out dry
So I assume that it's dry enough in there

Worst case scenario, if there is a bit of G96 left over in the barrel, is that dangerous to shoot the rifle or?

Coz like I said
I would love to use the bore snake 10x times in there to make sure that it's 100% definitely dry in there
But I wouldn't wanna damage the barrel by over doing it as well lol slightly tricky
Last edited by TheFirearmEnthusiast on 06 Feb 2020, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2020, 9:39 pm

I think its worth having bore snakes on hand.

Im no expert on cleaning lever actions, so cant comment there...other than to say i agree with the others in regard to a rod being a better option for cleaning...

....but if i were in your position, id get 2 or 3 or even 4 snakes...

Keep them clean, but use one for the random quick clean, or want to clear the barrel because you've been lazy, or want to try a different ammo etc etc....

The other 2 snakes, again keep them well clean, but use them for dedicated thorough cleaning, and for the same purpose each time...(for example the copper solvent one for copper solvent only)....

Personally id would think a bore snake used properly & carefully shouldnt do an excessive amount of damage to a bore...i imagine the carbon would be the abraisive stuff, which is why i suggest using that one regularly & keeping it seperate & clean....
In any case, im sure if you are careful, you wouldnt do any more damage to your firearm than some cowboys out there do with a rod, on the odd occasion they clean their supposedly indestructable rifle.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Can a Bore Snake damage the Rifle Bore?

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2020, 7:27 am

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Hey guys

I hope that everyone here is well

Just a quick question

I've just cleaned my rifle for the very 1st time

Long story short;
- I've sprayed some G96 through the barrel
- I've run the bore snake through the bore a couple of times
(3x times to be exact)
To give the bore a good scrub etc

The bore snake came out pretty dry in the end
The bore snake seemed dry enough

My question is;
If I were to run the bore snake a couple more times
(To make absolutely sure that the bore is 100% dry)
Is that safe for the barrel/bore?

Does using a bore snake too much, too many times in a row, can that damage the barrel/bore of the rifle?

What do you guys reckon?
:drinks:

I don't like bore snakes at all, it's virtually impossible to pull them through in perfect bore alignment. Even in rifles that you can't run a rod into the chamber end, like the 10/22, I'd rather use a one-piece rod and a muzzle guide.

I find the lever-actions get so filthy that I have strip the guts out for cleaning anyway, which allows rod access via the chamber. I just spray solvent down the bore, make sure the chamber gets plenty, let it soak a minute, then run a few patches through. But I only clean the bore when the rifle tells me it needs it, with .22LR that's somewhere in the 800 to 1500 round mark before bore cleaning.

I saw some one-piece stainless rods at a crazy price on Ebay recently, $35 I think they were. You're unlikely to need brushes in a .22LR, just some good jags, and patches.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2020, 7:31 am

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Thanks Flutch

Like I said in the thread

I've put some G96 down the barrel
Ran the bore snake 3x times
The bore snake came out dry
So I assume that it's dry enough in there

Worst case scenario, if there is a bit of G96 left over in the barrel, is that dangerous to shoot the rifle or?

Coz like I said
I would love to use the bore snake 10x times in there to make sure that it's 100% definitely dry in there
But I wouldn't wanna damage the barrel by over doing it as well lol slightly tricky

Even after the snake, I would still push a wet patch through the bore anyway. The snake may drag the crud out, but I don't think I'd trust it to coat the bore properly with oil. You could wrap a wet patch around the snake though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flutch » 07 Feb 2020, 10:01 am

Depending on how long till I am likely to use that said rifle again etc, I will either swab it with a patch and some oil or give it a dousing with a spray can of oil, some of my guns cope a total drenching (410 and 300 and Lanber 12G) because they are seldom used in comparison to the Adler, 22, 223 and 270, but even then I have lost count of how many times my 223 and 270 especially has had the snake through it and its not that hard to pull through neatly (however I have used it countless times and no ill effect so I'm as far from convinced of the "harm" they can do as anyone can be) and they leave the bore looking squeaky clean. I have also never seen one that has a warning on it like "may harm xyz part of rifle is used improperly" and can only figure if they did do damage there would be some people demanding that they receive compensation for their damaged rifle and subsequently there would be a warning added to at least the original product, I would strongly suggest that people who have had rifles and figured that the snake caused harm were people already on the path to shoot out a barrel etc already.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2020, 10:26 am

Since I know you love cycling the lever action, grab a bag of these - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLEARENCE-5 ... 2729498413

Don't drop the hammer.on them as the rims don't last forever, but you can sit and eject them all over yourself for hours of fun :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Feb 2020, 1:25 pm

So it's a Henry Rimfire lever, is it mate :) Can you find a vid on Youtube about, "How to Disassemble etc, etc"? Maybe that would let you clean from the breech.
Unless you have looked already without success :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm

A bore snake really is not going to clean any rifle properly or sufficiently. I agree with Blade much better to use a one piece rod and a jag and patch. Even without any sort of guide you will do far less damage or risk of damage and the cleaning will be far superior.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2020, 10:16 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with what Blade Racer said in relation to the round count between cleanings.
The old .22 rf ammo is pretty kind to barrels, and excessive/needless cleaning is probably more of something you need to be aware of.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Feb 2020, 10:42 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with what Blade Racer said in relation to the round count between cleanings.
The old .22 rf ammo is pretty kind to barrels, and excessive/needless cleaning is probably more of something you need to be aware of.

If you wanted peak accuracy out of your rimfire, what would you describe as excessive or needless cleaning?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Feb 2020, 10:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

If you wanted peak accuracy out of your rimfire, what would you describe as excessive or needless cleaning?[/quote]

As in the case of dragging the bristles, solvents, etc through after each and every session of using the rifle.
The wax coating on most (if not all) .22rf ammo these days has a purpose.
Sometimes those that are new and keen can sort of be over exuberant and kill with kindness. :(
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2020, 1:09 am

SCJ429 wrote:[quote="Die Judicii"I agree wholeheartedly with what Blade Racer said in relation to the round count between cleanings.
The old .22 rf ammo is pretty kind to barrels, and excessive/needless cleaning is probably more of something you need to be aware of.[/quote

If you wanted peak accuracy out of your rimfire, what would you describe as excessive or needless cleaning?

That will depend on the specific rifle, and perhaps even the ammo you're using.

To me, any cleaning of the bore that is not improving the accuracy is unnecessary. .22LR bullets coat the bore with lube, there is virtually no lead left in the bore if the lube is doing its job.

The action, and sometimes the chamber, needs more frequent cleaning to minimize wear and maintain reliable function.

I shoot until accuaracy appears to be reducing, then patch it out, and shoot again. If accuracy returns after cleaning (it may require a box full down the tube to settle in again) then I clean it sooner next time. Eventually you'll work out how many rounds is optimal.

Of course, this applies to rifles you do actually use. If your 22 sits in the safe for six-months before you use it again it is probably worth patching it out and ensuring the bore is protected with oil.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Feb 2020, 8:35 am

There was a young guy here a few years ago that had a CZ that he could not get to shoot. I went to the range with him and started going through the trouble shooting process. It turned out that the rifle needed to be cleaned about every 20 -30 rounds. It would really just grab everything and foul up. Once cleaned just using some carby cleaner and then a dry patch, even just a dry patch would work it would return to very good accuracy and consistency. 20-30 shots later the POI would change and it would start spraying them.

We ended with that but what it probably needed was a clean with JB bore paste or Autosol. It was a new rifle and I bet it had a few burrs in the barrel. It was before I had a borescope it would of been interesting to have a look down.

When I bought a Savage A22 I had a look down the barrel and sent the photos to NOIA they quickly exchanged the rifle. The next one was much better but still a little rough a quick paste clean and it was looking much better. Kind of like doing your own lapping. In a centre fire I am sure the bullets would clean out the burrs in a new barrel but a 22 shooting soft lead and well lubed bullets it probably would take a lot of shooting if ever to bring it good.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Tank » 08 Feb 2020, 9:57 am

[quote="SCJ429"]You can abrade your barrel using a bore snake.”

That’s a fair generalisation there SJ.
I would suggest used within the suggested manor you’re wrong in fact.

Whilst I agree the use of a rod, patches, solvent and oil are tried and true. But we’re talking 22 rim fire here! I haven’t cleaned my BSA Sportsman 10 in thousands of rounds....CCI Standard Velocity waxed bullets. I think you all are getting a little carried away. A bore snake pulled through for a quick tidy isn’t going to hurt a thing. Go easy on the oil.

To the OP..... there’s stacks of useful information on cleaning your rifle out there.
Do some research but don’t be afraid of your boresnake....it’s just another tool.

Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by flutch » 08 Feb 2020, 11:10 am

honestly anything a boresnake could have on it from regular cleaning (unless you shower yours in iron filings or garnet or something) is the same s**t that is in your barrel between shots, if its not dieseling up on the rounds as theyre fired far more aggressively than you could ever hope to pull a boresnake through then its pretty much 100% impossible that you are going to work up enough gumption to do more harm than the last round did.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2020, 4:44 pm

Tank wrote:You can abrade your barrel using a bore snake.”

That’s a fair generalisation there SJ.
I would suggest used within the suggested manor you’re wrong in fact.

Whilst I agree the use of a rod, patches, solvent and oil are tried and true. But we’re talking 22 rim fire here! I haven’t cleaned my BSA Sportsman 10 in thousands of rounds....CCI Standard Velocity waxed bullets. I think you all are getting a little carried away. A bore snake pulled through for a quick tidy isn’t going to hurt a thing. Go easy on the oil.

Tank.

No Tank, it is you that is wrong. You can damage your barrel using a piece of rope to clean it. Go find yourself a competition shooter and ask them if they clean their rifle this way. When they say "No", ask them why.

As I said in my post, if it is just a plinker you are not worried about then go ahead. My suggestion for the lazy shooter with a plinker is don't clean it at all. You probably will not notice much degradation in your shooting for thousands of rounds.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2020, 4:52 pm

Here is what Dan Lilja says about cleaning a rimfire barrel, you may note he does not mention using a bore snake.

https://riflebarrels.com/support/22-rim ... intenance/
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2020, 5:08 pm

Here is a link from Kreiger Barrels about the way to break in and clean your new barrel. Believe it or not the suggested way to clean your barrel is with a one piece rod and bore guide. No mention of a bore snake, can you tell me why?

https://kriegerbarrels.com/faq#breakin
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Feb 2020, 7:28 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast
As you an see from this topc a lot of different answers and oppinions You might say as many as there are firearms and most people that you ask are correct that,s what makes the world go round as they say.
Take all the answers that you get find what works for you in that and then your an expert for your own guns .
My take on this I clean with a 1 peice rod and bore guide @ home when I am there , if im not at home and have shot a few rounds I may wipe it with a bore guide from my pack on a centerfire but on a rimfire.22( I am not using any rimfire in any sort of compitition ) I will clean it when i get home with an oily cloth to the outside only
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

It is not the bore that risks damage from a bore snake, that is not going to happen, the problem is wear of the crown and the chamber due to pulling a dirty length of rope across one side of the perfectly-cut contour of the steel edge. This is a recognized problem since bore snakes were first issued in the military. If you use a muzzle or bore guide you are less likely to do damage.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tank » 08 Feb 2020, 9:30 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Here is what Dan Lilja says about cleaning a rimfire barrel, you may note he does not mention using a bore snake.

https://riflebarrels.com/support/22-rim ... intenance/

Limited use of a boresnake using it in the manor described by the OP.....won’t hurt a blessed thing SJ.

You can quote whoever you like. It’s a 22 rim fire.....it doesn’t need the same level of care as a centre fire (particularly if you’re using waxed lead bullets....as previously stated).

The OP WILL NOT hurt his 22 with a bore snake. (If he uses it as suggested by Hoppes). End of story.

Kind regards,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Feb 2020, 10:05 pm

Tank wrote:
The OP WILL NOT hurt his 22 with a bore snake. (If he uses it as suggested by Hoppes). End of story.

Kind regards,
Tank.

You can write it in capitals but it is still untrue, you can cause damage. You can also damage your barrel with a cleaning rod if you drag it down the side of your chamber. The nature of a rope is that is is very difficult to pull it through the breach and out the muzzle with it parallel to the bore axis. This off centre rubbing erodes the chamber and crown over time. If your expectation of accuracy is to place you bullet within a couple of inches of your aiming point at 50 metres then you will probably not notice any detrimental effects for a long time.

I have no interest in changing your cleaning routine, you are obviously happy with it. I was answering the OP question, the decision is up to him how he proceeds.

Warm regards,

CJ.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment