Can a Bore Snake damage the Rifle Bore?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Can a Bore Snake damage the Rifle Bore?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Feb 2020, 10:27 am

FWIW, henryusa.com has disassembly and cleaning videos.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Feb 2020, 10:32 am

bladeracer wrote:I'm waiting on a new borescope, 5mm so I can finally look through my .223" bores as well.

It would be great to see one of your smoking reviews Blade... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2020, 12:09 pm

sungazer wrote:Look at it another way Oldbloke do you think a bore snake can actually clean a rifle very well? Running a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times may make the shooter feel better about themselves but that is about all it is doing. Failing to clean out all that carbon is the biggest problem. When you continue to shoot over the carbon it becomes harder and it embeds itself into the steel, then when it does start to get moved on by the continues shooting bits of your barrel steel go along with it.
Now that there are good cheap bore scopes available more people will be able to see what is happening in the barrel.

1. Certainly not as good as the traditional methods. Mmmm certainly didnt intend to suggest it.

2. Not convenced tthat compression automatically makes it harder. Eg greater ability to grind/errode metal. But it will be pushed into the tiny pores of the steel.

Consider slate, highly compressed over millions of years, put still soft. But i may be corrected.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 09 Feb 2020, 1:35 pm

The newish bore scope that is for sale on Amazon is not a US scope although they would like to think so. It is from China a company called Teslong. You can buy it directly from them $50 US they have a couple of new models out now as well a wifi and a hard shaft rather than the flexi. I have the Flexible and it will fit down 22 barrel. Very good.

I have found from experience that carbon that has been shot over on another session is much harder to remove. If it is done just after shooting while on a warm barrel it comes off and clean much easier. Carbon rings that form from not cleaning regularly are very hard to remove.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2020, 2:59 pm

"Carbon rings that form from not cleaning regularly are very hard to remove."

Fair enough. I would think that is likely to be true.
Im just saying might not be any more "abrasive".

Arardite is hard to remove, but its soft. They are different properties.

PS, in order to abrate or grind, not only must be harder than the material to be ground, it must also have sharpish edges. The smooth crystalline facet of a diamond will grind zilch. Only the edges will scratch or grind.it ss a sort of "point loading"
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 09 Feb 2020, 7:00 pm

How did republicland05 or whatever it was change his name? Either way I keep a snake for field use if needed as stated, dirt or dropped etc. Other then that I use traditional methods.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Potatoes » 09 Feb 2020, 7:12 pm

I reckon a bit of jb pastes on a boresnake would do an ok job of lapping a barrel.
Potatoes
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Feb 2020, 7:42 pm

:mrgreen: You might be onto something 'Taters'. Perfect for lapping all of those chatter marks in Howa barrels.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2020, 8:39 pm

Yep, I always take an old fashioned pull through hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 10 Feb 2020, 5:44 am

bladeracer wrote:I'm waiting on a new borescope, 5mm so I can finally look through my .223" bores as well.

I just bought the Teslong off ebay. Plugs into my laptop with windows 10. Worked straight out of the box.
I was horrified at the condition of my wifes .223 throat. Lots of pitting and erosion. Had a couple of thousand F class rounds through it. I had no idea it was so bad.Its not used for that now but, just hunting and plinking etc.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 10 Feb 2020, 7:32 am

About the only time I would think the use of a bore snake could be condoned is where there is real urgency to run some oil down either a rain soaked barrel particularly a chrome moly barrel, or having fired corrosive primed ammunition and not having ready access to the proper implements for prompt cleaning.
As for damage to bores; just about any implement in the hands of an uninformed 'enthusiast' can be misused to the detriment of a barrels' internal dimensional integrity.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 10 Feb 2020, 8:41 am

Still waiting for that lab test/experiment showing the damage over time......
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2020, 9:34 am

flutch wrote:Still waiting for that lab test/experiment showing the damage over time......

I think you have made your opinion clear :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 10 Feb 2020, 5:39 pm

I dont see why it is so hard to believe. Valve grinding paste is not what you would call really a sharp or large gritty substance. But it will quickly act as an abrasive on steel just like even 400 grit or even 800 grit wet and dry the 800 to the feel is nearly smooth. However it will take a thou of steel very quickly. Change your barrel by a thou and you are in all sorts of trouble.

In my 308 just 1000 rounds fired erodes about the last 3/4 of an inch at the muzzel crown by a thou reducing accuracy and the need for a trim and recrown.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2020, 7:16 pm

"Valve grinding paste is not what you would call really a sharp or large gritty substance."

Look at it under a 200x microscope.

Abrasives like carborundum or garnet are many times harder than steel. Im not so sure about the hardness of soot from burning gunpowder

Think of it like a knife. Sharp edge cuts, blunt smooth edge does very little. Not saying that the crud wont cause wear. Just would be sfa compared with a few thousands degrees when firing.

Anyway. Way off topic. And we have to agree to disagree.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2020, 7:30 pm

Here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scal ... l_hardness.

Must go. Waiting for mr pig and to drink
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 10 Feb 2020, 7:52 pm

Sorry about the late reply Lads
I have been super super busy over the past few days...

I would like to thank everyone who commented on this thread
It has been truly interesting to hear both sides of the arguments
It has opened up my mind a lot
So thank you everybody

And honestly, I kinda of understand both sides

Lads
I'm no expert in firearms at all
I'm new to the firearm world
However, I did use a bore snake 3x times on my henry lever action before I used it for the 1st time
And when I did use the bore snake
I truly got the feeling that it would have done a decent enough/potentially great job cleansing the bore
I had to pull so so hard onto the snake for it to come out of the barrel
I truly felt that it gave the bore such a fantastic scrub on the inside of it
Ridding it of any material that may have been left over in there
+ with the G96
I honestly felt that the bore snake did a good/potentially even a great job cleaning the barrel for me

I could be wrong but that's just the feeling that I got using the bore snake for the 1st time

But I also understand the other side of the argument, that over time, you could potentially damage the crown of the rifle if you dont pull the snake out of the barrel 100% straight/parallel with the barrel

I honestly do understand both sides of the argument

Regardless, this has been a great chat

It's always pleasant to hear both sides of the argument, it's informative, which is what EnoughGun is all about
I love discussing firearm matters with you Lads
:)
:drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Feb 2020, 9:13 am

Sorry about changing topic.

But thanks to those who mentioned the borescope brand.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Feb 2020, 10:54 am

this has been a funny thread

wasn't going to jump in but l will give my opinion

of course a boresnake can damage a rifle bore, you could never get all the grit from cleaning a bore out of the fibres in the snake
so you are pulling the grit over at least the muzzle but if the boresnake fits the bore you are pulling the crud over the bore as well ;)

boresnakes are so old school its funny they are still around, they keep the salesman happy :wtf:
they were good when there was nothing else in the days that we cleaned our rifles with boiling water and old sump oil :lol:
there is a better way to clean your rifle bores so why clean your bore with sh!t :lol: really

would you clean the outside of your rifle with the cruddy cloth you just cleaned your brushes with :unknown:
of course you wouldn't and even without the grit a rope will wear down steel, have a real good think about it :roll:

use a good quality 1 piece coated or carbon fiber cleaning rod and quality brushes, you will get years out of it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Feb 2020, 6:20 pm

Don't bring reasoned argument into it MM.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 12 Feb 2020, 10:10 am

SCJ429 wrote:Don't bring reasoned argument into it MM.

:D just some common sense really ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment