Simple to use ballistic calculator please

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Simple to use ballistic calculator please

Post by Blr243 » 16 Feb 2020, 12:48 pm

Discussions on another section of this forum relating to the accuracy of information obtained from calculators / charts has prompted my interest in useing one for the purpose of a guide slightly for projectile choice but mostly to help me work out my trajectory at different ranges With my 243 and my 87 v max , any feral pig is just history out to two hundred. But I have been missing some of my long range foxes and it’s time for me to lift my game While I find my thermal effective and a ton of fun , The reticle from a thermal that sits on a hot object in the distance does not give the same precise aiming that a good glass scope does on a target that is illuminated by a good spotlight This business of aiming dead on all the time on a fox is not working 100 per cent of the time. Please, suggest your preferred ballistic calculator for me and keep in mind if possible that I really only want to be entering figures like weight speed bc to keep it simple ... and I love a chart with 25 m intervals so I can see where my group is going to land at given distances. My local Ssaa range has targets at 25 , 50 100 200 I think so I can confirm real world before my next trip out bush ..... it’s likely your input will contribute to the longevity of our precious native species if can send some foxes and cats on a one way journey to the great chicken coop in the sky
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: Simple to use ballistic calculator please

Post by marksman » 16 Feb 2020, 2:30 pm

probably one of the easiest free ones to use l have seen is point blank http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/200 ... -software/

l dont get into kestrels and phone apps not to say they are no good its just not how l do it
l've seen to many disappointed shooters who use them and do not connect when the shot is taken
l use recorded dope and find it very good after verifying in the real world, l practice out to 800 and would not hesitate to shoot an animal at that distance

if you wanted the cadillac of ballistic calculators then the applied ballistics program is the one l would recommend
there system has been proven to work on first shot hits at 2400yds and in many competitions it is one of the favourites for long distance shooters
it works https://appliedballisticsllc.com/

you need to remember we do not live in a vacuum and all data must be verified and and confirmed again when changes are made
apps or ballistic programs are a starting point to get you on target, then you use your actual real world data to 'true' your software to match your actual real world results. it would be silly to just blindly believe it but it can be fun to see your efforts work out when the freezer is full :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 16 Feb 2020, 2:33 pm

Mate ifv you have a phone, strelok is a good one, otherwise i have used the hornady app, it's free had two types of calculators the simple basic one and the 4dof quite easy to use once you spend 5 minutes to work it out. Had a dial that you can spin to increase or decrease the distance
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 16 Feb 2020, 4:18 pm

Mate I just use this one. Pretty simple. Just the basic info.
Attachments
574175CE-DFED-4709-9964-EDD685CEF024.jpeg
574175CE-DFED-4709-9964-EDD685CEF024.jpeg (399.86 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2020, 4:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Discussions on another section of this forum relating to the accuracy of information obtained from calculators / charts has prompted my interest in useing one for the purpose of a guide slightly for projectile choice but mostly to help me work out my trajectory at different ranges With my 243 and my 87 v max , any feral pig is just history out to two hundred. But I have been missing some of my long range foxes and it’s time for me to lift my game While I find my thermal effective and a ton of fun , The reticle from a thermal that sits on a hot object in the distance does not give the same precise aiming that a good glass scope does on a target that is illuminated by a good spotlight This business of aiming dead on all the time on a fox is not working 100 per cent of the time. Please, suggest your preferred ballistic calculator for me and keep in mind if possible that I really only want to be entering figures like weight speed bc to keep it simple ... and I love a chart with 25 m intervals so I can see where my group is going to land at given distances. My local Ssaa range has targets at 25 , 50 100 200 I think so I can confirm real world before my next trip out bush ..... it’s likely your input will contribute to the longevity of our precious native species if can send some foxes and cats on a one way journey to the great chicken coop in the sky

I mainly find myself using JBM.
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 17 Feb 2020, 7:09 am

I mate put me onto iStrelok which i've found to be great, he uses it with great success when shooting 300 & 500 Fly comps so i figured if it's good enough for that it's good enough for me.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 17 Feb 2020, 7:54 am

I use strelok aswell. It can be a bit of a pain to wrap your head around, but I sought of just use it as a guide really. I unfortunately don't have a chronograph yet so for example with my .222, I would shoot at 50, 100 and 200m and compare to the app, usually it comes out pretty dang close too.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Feb 2020, 1:17 pm

Thanks men. We did. We talked about b c and traj without getting all rattled well done
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Feb 2020, 7:57 pm

SBC have a simple one - and as a side, they have just about every scope / reticle combination so you can look at what a xx size target will look like at xx range.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment