Powabeam spot light remote handles

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Powabeam spot light remote handles

Post by GQshayne » 23 Feb 2020, 9:50 pm

Has anyone used one of these? I did a bit of googling to look for a review, and was surprised to find nothing. They make two types, and this is the "budget" version.

Opinions???

https://www.powabeam.com.au/spotlight-remote-std.html
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Powabeam spot light remote handles

Post by Roo farmer » 23 Feb 2020, 10:05 pm

I've never used one of them exactly.

I have a couple of these:

https://www.powabeam.com.au/quick-folding-remote.html

They're not great.

I'm pretty sure that there are no decent spotlight control handles available anywhere in Australia.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9879

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=11253
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by marksman » 23 Feb 2020, 10:17 pm

l have the older version of what Roo farmer put up and it does the job for me although l do see the problems with them and l have polished the ball joint and do lubricate the ball joint, l use lenses off the lightforce lights that l fit on with some self tappers
l will put up a photo tomorrow :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 24 Feb 2020, 7:31 pm

Thanks fellas. I did not find the other threads with my googling.

Not very promising though is it? Might have to put my thinking cap on. :drinks:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 24 Feb 2020, 8:04 pm

GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 24 Feb 2020, 8:13 pm

GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Feb 2020, 3:26 pm

l have the old D shaped handle with the off on switch combined in the handle, l cant see where the switch is on the one from e-bay you put up
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spotlight-Hand ... 0667.m2042
l've had mine for years and l paid $195 for the handle complete
as l said earlier though l did smooth out the knuckle ball joint and lubed it so it worked better
the wiring goes through the shaft in the roof mount and l made up a wiring setup that fit the cigarette lighter, it came in useful for something :unknown:
it is a big light and is a bugger when travelling from one farm to the next, when not in use l take it off,
farmers do not trust cars with spotlights they dont know, they think poachers that keep them up at night
here are some pics to show the 9" lightforce lenses fitted into the 9" powerbeam lights
the red lense needs the hole in the middle to let out a pencil beam that does not worry the animals so l have found

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 25 Feb 2020, 7:29 pm

I didn't give much thought to wiring or handles. Wiring I will just do myself anyway, with an Anderson plug or something. I do heaps of electrical. Same with the handle I can just make one.

My main concern is what is noted above my other members - how smooth it is, whether it holds its position or not, or lock nuts come undone etc. The one that claims it is made for pro's would have to work well you would think.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 25 Feb 2020, 9:38 pm

GQshayne wrote:I didn't give much thought to wiring or handles. Wiring I will just do myself anyway, with an Anderson plug or something. I do heaps of electrical. Same with the handle I can just make one.

My main concern is what is noted above my other members - how smooth it is, whether it holds its position or not, or lock nuts come undone etc. The one that claims it is made for pro's would have to work well you would think.

I don't know why they insist on having handles that are made to have a switch and wires on them. I have a 50 amp Anderson connector on the tray, activated by a switch on the dashboard and a relay at the battery. You only need the switch a couple of times a night, it doesn't need to be on the handle. I've seen some people with wires strung from the cigarette lighter up to the handle, I can't imagine a worse way to do it than that.

You would think they could make some sort of quick lock system, or some sort of spring loaded swivel that is loose when you have the weight of your arm hanging on the handle, but locks solid as soon as you let go. But no, they just keep turning out the same rubbish that they always have.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2020, 10:39 pm

When I used to spot of my quad I wood operate the quad steering with my right hand and I had the spotlight handle mounted on my roof rack so that my left hand could operate it Then as I used my right hand to operate the rifle on a rest I wood move the light with my left hand so it was on the target as I was just about to shoot .... but the problem was having to take my hand of the rifle so I could turn the locking ring so the beam stayed put while I took the shot ..... so I rigged up a lever and a cable that ran from the locking ring to a foot operated pedal. That way all I had to do when the light was in position was push down firm with my pedal then take my left hand of the handle and take the shot. But now with a thermal scope my spotting and shooting system is all on the rifle so spotlight just sits in the shed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2020, 10:44 pm

Before I had the cable and foot pedal I had a ten inch rod attached to the locking ring. It’s so much quicker to hit a lever and push it rather than grip a ring and twist it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2020, 10:53 pm

This was back at Cunnamulla years ago when the Roos were super thick. Most I shot in a night was about 70. Imagine if I shot 20 times that amount ( 1400 per night / impossible). And imagine if I did that every night for an entire year , Then after one year the roo population would be down only one per cent ... that’s what I tell the anti roo shooting community. Millions of Roos are here to stay regardless of any policy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Feb 2020, 9:27 am

"I don't know why they insist on having handles that are made to have a switch and wires on them"

l like it, very easy to turn the light on and off at your thumb while using the handle, several situations that you need to
l dont have the light on at all times and will turn it off to stop the animals from bolting or to go onto another animal in a different place
you can still use an anderson plug for connection to power to the cigy lighter keeping the power in the cab,
mine is connected to a spring type lead, like the old telephone cords and it doesn't get in the way, the power is where l can get to it and out of the weather
l had to smooth the ball joint to get my handle setup to be smooth and l can adjust the lock ring so that it will stay put by itself without me having to tighten it when ready to shoot, how frustrating would that be, the 9" light is pretty heavy and is grabby without lube,
its not perfect but it works good enough for me on my own, l dont have any problems with it
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 26 Feb 2020, 7:29 pm

Roo farmer wrote:I don't know why they insist on having handles that are made to have a switch and wires on them. I have a 50 amp Anderson connector on the tray, activated by a switch on the dashboard and a relay at the battery. You only need the switch a couple of times a night, it doesn't need to be on the handle. I've seen some people with wires strung from the cigarette lighter up to the handle, I can't imagine a worse way to do it than that.

You would think they could make some sort of quick lock system, or some sort of spring loaded swivel that is loose when you have the weight of your arm hanging on the handle, but locks solid as soon as you let go. But no, they just keep turning out the same rubbish that they always have.

You do not see any advantages in the ones I put links up for?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 27 Feb 2020, 4:55 am

GQshayne wrote:You do not see any advantages in the ones I put links up for?

They look like they have a similar type of tension/locking method to me? Maybe I'm missing something?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 27 Feb 2020, 7:28 pm

Agreed the basic design is the same, but perhaps the quality may be better. Details make a difference.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment