Dynabolt v AnkaScrew

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Dynabolt v AnkaScrew

Post by firstguns » 11 Mar 2020, 8:42 pm

Maybe I'm just the least handy person around (also likely) but after a weekend of f***ing around with dynabolts, and one evening with ankascrews, I'm sold - I'm never touching another dynabolt as long as I live. As far as I'm concerned they can get consigned to the dustbin of history with bell bottom jeans and every Beetles album.

Like I said, maybe you're all just a million times better on tools than me, but Christ almighty dynabolts suck. If you're new, reading this, figuring out how to fix your safe in - buy AnkaScrews or similar concrete screws. Save yourself the pain.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Dynabolt v AnkaScrew

Post by straightshooter » 12 Mar 2020, 6:31 am

The most reliable fixing is a Loxin anchor simply because of it's design.
Dynabolts are fine at resisting shear forces but not linear forces. So to fix a safe, for instance, you need multiple anchors positioned at right angles in the structure.
Ankascrews can fail in certain types of masonry and cement unless they too have multiple anchors positioned at right angles in the structure.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 12 Mar 2020, 9:32 am

The trick to installing Dyna bolts is installing them while the safe is in place. I've seen so many people run into trouble installing the bolt then putting the safe on top of the bolts then putting the nut on??? Just drill your holes, hammer them in and crank em tight. I used chemset anchors last time and prefer them but they take 24 hours to set.
Last edited by yoshie on 12 Mar 2020, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Mar 2020, 9:44 am

I've had my arguments with dyna bolts as well - key is to getting the exact size drill bit AND getting the depth of hole exactly correct. When I discovered ankascrews I thought my xmas 's had all come as well - but the heads can be under so much stored tension, they either break completely or become missiles and fly off.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2020, 10:58 am

Yea i know...
Who would want bell bottoms & the beatles when you can pound your ears with unintelligable street gansta rap & wear pants like these half way down your arse... :lol:
images (40).jpg
images (40).jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 13701 times

:unknown:
:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 12 Mar 2020, 11:44 am

Just being devils advocate did you read the regulations on safe install where it say expandable bolts or similar .
Technaly AnkaScrew and are not similar as they are parallel
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

Nah you'd get away with that Pomemax...its about the resistance to them pulling out & shear... :thumbsup:
They are firearms regulations, not building regs...
:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 12 Mar 2020, 12:15 pm

Nah its a bout a copper being a dick it say expandabel in the safe install reg so if the cop is a dick even chemset would not cover you.
taken from NSW regs
Do I have to secure my receptacle to the premises?
Yes. If the receptacle used for storing the firearms weighs less than 150kg (when empty), the receptacle must be
secured to the structure of the building. The receptacle should be secured by way of expanding anchor bolts (or similar)
fixed internally through the base and/or back of the receptacle. The securing points should not be visible or accessible
externally from the receptacle.
* When mounted onto brick, stone or concrete, it should be attached by at least four (4) masonry anchors 90mm in
length and 10mm in diameter internally fitted through holes in the rear and/or base of the container, securing it to
the floor and/or wall. The receptacle should be mounted flush with the floor and/or wall.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Mar 2020, 12:56 pm

Huge difference between “must”, “should”, “shall...”

Should = preferred, but non mandatory - must on the other hand...

Every time I‘ve been inspected - cops tried to shake safe...they didn’t look at fixings.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2020, 2:22 pm

In concrete all6 8 10 12 mm ankascrews work fine but in brickwork that could be a shade brittle or crumbly , the small diameter ankasrews tend to b more reliable. The 12 mm Anna screw can strip out sometimes
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flutch » 12 Mar 2020, 6:55 pm

To all those who are carrying on about the regs,

One of my safes is installed with series 500 Tek screws to the back and Ramset plugs and screws to the lower, I simply declared it as suck and cited the reasons it was preferable to dynabolts,

I have been in construction almost my entire adult life as well as from a young teen till college, and I can tell you no matter how much you out in dynabolts they never get any less poxy, and they are far from the best method of fixing something securely to a hard surface (brick, cement, limestone etc), I would rate the Ramset plug and bolts over literally everything else for ease of use, 800 patios, decks and 240 steel frame houses and roughly 80 sheds don't lie, all built with 0 dynabolts and all perfectly secured and standing as the day they were built.

On the contrary I have had to replace a great number of dynabolts where vibrations from wind shear and other effects have loosened them and they have started to pull out, that and a lot of the time they never grab a hold of the host material correctly to begin with
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 13 Mar 2020, 11:53 am

funny that eh firstguns i said i was being the devils advocate .
the only people that thought the regs were not applicable to them were right they dont they are not in nsw
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Mar 2020, 3:23 pm

Even if i was in same state, i wasnt intentionally arguing with you pome... :)

I was just suggesting that if you got sanctioned, especially to the point of court, purely on the point of screw bolt vs dynabolt, you would have an easily defendable case...

It would be pretty fair to assume those rules were written with minimum definition & wording, based on the fact that stupid people will claim they dont know what a dynabolt was, or that it had to be tightened when installing their safe.

Dynabolts are very cheap, strong & efficient mechanical fixings, that if installed correctly in a sound foundation, will hold incredibly well.
Screw bolts are also efficient, but stupidly expensive for what they are in comparison to dynabolts...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rwd22 » 13 Mar 2020, 3:48 pm

I used ankascrews for the base of my safe too, after shifting workshops a few years ago and having to pin down every piece of equipment, I was sold on the ankascrews. I have a manual tube bender on a post fitted to the floor of the workshop with 4 ankascrews and even with years of 1 or 2 guys swinging on it daily, it hasn't moved at all, that sold me on the safe fixing.

As Yoshie said, it's amazing how many people drop in dynabolts, unthread the nut and try and position their items over the threads, I've seen too many disappear into overly deep holes, let alone the amount of ones that've ended up burred or cross threaded from the items dragging over the threads, then needing to be removed and replaced as the thread just spins in the sleeve.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by firstguns » 13 Mar 2020, 8:54 pm

RWD - guilty as charged. My garage floor now has too many dynabolts in it that aren't serving any purpose, because I knocked in the top of them while positioning the safe, or I was off by a couple of mm.

The bolts and bit I was using were too big for me to do in place - I thought of that, and tried to do it, but they didn't fit.

All I can say is, the dynabolts didn't co-operate, and the Ankascrews did. Know which one I'll be using, as an unskilled user.
firstguns
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rwd22 » 14 Mar 2020, 5:33 pm

firstguns wrote:RWD - guilty as charged. My garage floor now has too many dynabolts in it that aren't serving any purpose, because I knocked in the top of them while positioning the safe, or I was off by a couple of mm.

The bolts and bit I was using were too big for me to do in place - I thought of that, and tried to do it, but they didn't fit.

All I can say is, the dynabolts didn't co-operate, and the Ankascrews did. Know which one I'll be using, as an unskilled user.

We've all done it atleast once, I just actively avoid the bloody dynabolts these days, had many successful installs with them, but you always remember the ones that you had trouble with. Got fed up having argument with the boss over how he installed the bloody things, ankascrews solve all, managed to convert him now too.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 14 Mar 2020, 6:26 pm

Funny thing is I prefer them too most people when they drill for Dynablots dont drill the hole deep enough so when you have to remove you have to grind the things off
should say on the packet dill the hole deeper than you need they when you have to remove them just drive them down .
Stix i was just being devils advocate lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Mar 2020, 12:15 am

Having worked in the industry I wouldn't waste any time on dynabolts for even the smallest lightest job.

Chemset is the way to go my friend.

Failing them the old fashioned "Tiger Bolts" are bloody good. (if you can still get them these days)
They have the added advantage that once the sleeve is in the hole and flush with the surface,,, the bolt can be removed thus allowing cabinets or heavy machinery to be lifted/slid into position and then the bolts simply screwed back in place and tensioned up.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment