Zeroing and Ballistics Calculators

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Zeroing and Ballistics Calculators

Post by Aliqua » 11 Apr 2020, 11:53 am

Hello,

Just about to pickup my first rifle/scope and want to zero it in at the most appropriate distance (my setup is in my signature). For a .308 would you sight in at 100m or 200m?

Secondly, what smartphone apps are people in this community using for ballistic calculators? I'm having issues with the Hornady BC not returning ANY 'come up' result when I input the information (create 'favourites') yet the generic BC calculator works. I can't use the 4DOF because I'm shooing Hornady 165gr SST and they are not in the list... I printed the drop chart from Hornady for an analogue table, but the use of apps would allow me to record all my shots and work from there. I've been looking online for alternatives but wanted to hear from the community what your thoughts are.

Thank-you in advance. Looking forward to your replies.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Zeroing and Ballistics Calculators

Post by bladeracer » 11 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm

Aliqua wrote:Hello,

Just about to pickup my first rifle/scope and want to zero it in at the most appropriate distance (my setup is in my signature). For a .308 would you sight in at 100m or 200m?

Secondly, what smartphone apps are people in this community using for ballistic calculators? I'm having issues with the Hornady BC not returning ANY 'come up' result when I input the information (create 'favourites') yet the generic BC calculator works. I can't use the 4DOF because I'm shooing Hornady 165gr SST and they are not in the list... I printed the drop chart from Hornady for an analogue table, but the use of apps would allow me to record all my shots and work from there. I've been looking online for alternatives but wanted to hear from the community what your thoughts are.

Thank-you in advance. Looking forward to your replies.

I don't use an app, I use this - http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... -chart.php
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Apr 2020, 12:05 pm

I zero my 308 for 200m and has worked well. Balistic apps I use strelock have found it to be one of the easier ones to use.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 11 Apr 2020, 12:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:I don't use an app, I use this - http://www.shooterscalculator.com/balli ... -chart.php

Thanks - I'll have a look at it!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 12 Apr 2020, 9:35 am

What is the information on the box Hornady have the MV and drops at several distances. Give us the MV and I or someone else can print you a drop sheet for a 100 zero or 200 zero
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Aliqua » 12 Apr 2020, 9:38 am

Thanks sungazer! I jumped on hornady website and printed it off this morning:) it's weird the website calculator works but the app doesn't.

Really appreciate the offer though!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 12 Apr 2020, 10:03 am

I have had a lot of success with the Zeiss app. It’s free and very simple to use, and has been very accurate for me.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment