Should I take the legs of my new safe?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Should I take the legs of my new safe?

Post by Hatter » 30 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm

I've just had my new safe arrive, got the 155kg Spika one.

Now that it's arrived I see that it has short legs on it which weren't in any of the pictures I'd seen or in the one I'd seen in store.

Should I take them off? Seems like it would make it easy to stick something under there and wheel it away?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Should I take the legs of my new safe?

Post by ebr love » 31 Jul 2013, 9:41 am

Don't bother mate.

A random burger isn't going to have a push trolley in his backpack ;)
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 31 Jul 2013, 9:51 am

Don't know if you've tried to move it yet, but the legs make it harder to work with a trolley because you can't get the bottom of it flush with the trolley.

The trolleys tipped half way back before you're touching the safe and you lose your leverage.

Keep 'em on.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Atter » 01 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

Unless someone comes to your house prepared to take away the safe, I wouldn't worry.

Most break ins are just random or opportunistic, if (touch wood) you did get broken into, chances are they wouldn't be prepared to open/remove it.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 01 Aug 2013, 11:45 am

If you're worried, you could always take them off and bolt the safe down for some extra piece of mind (assuming the floor is suitable), but to be honest I wouldn't worry.

Like Atter said, a random thief isn't going to just pop your 150kg safe on his shoulder and stroll away with it.

And you're meeting the legal storage requirements so if they did get stolen you're covered there too.

Either way, you should be fine.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hatter » 01 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

Thanks all.

I won't bother. We moved it into position inside where it is going to live and it was through a narrow doorway and a round a corner and all that.

Pain in the ass to move lol. Don't see a thief getting it out after what it took us to get it in.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment