Grass Suits ??

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Grass Suits ??

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 2:54 pm

Blr243 wrote: Now that I only do thermal hunting at night it’s just black shorts and black t shirt. Very simple .....Dj if I can find my 3 d suit u can have it

Heh,,,,,, you and me both.
Thanks for the offer on the suit,, but don't reckon it would suit the way I hunt nowadays,
And like you said/verified,,,,,, a nightmare walking through the scrub.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 2:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No i think its different. Some sort of sinthetic though.

Suggest you just check yours under some sort of UV light yourself. I use a bug zapper light.

Yep thanks Mate, I was wondering if a bug zappa would do it.
I've got one of those big ones,,, I'll test it out on the netting and see how it goes.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 15 Apr 2020, 3:12 pm

We love em when we go out withe the bow - the leafy suit moves with the breeze and you can get really close - have to wash UV out before wash em and only use the non UV washing liquid. Have also got in close with a red checked flanno so go figure!!
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 3:55 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:We love em when we go out withe the bow - the leafy suit moves with the breeze and you can get really close - have to wash UV out before wash em and only use the non UV washing liquid. Have also got in close with a red checked flanno so go figure!!

Yeh, I've come to the conclusion cammo helps but is over rated. Movement and smell, or lack of them is IMO more important.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2020, 4:23 pm

Wise old Indian said White man walk a lot see small, Indian walk small see a lot. There is a lot of truth to that as well. I have walked up to animals so close without seeing them only to have them make a last minute bolt when your not looking.

Best Guillie suit I reckon would be made of Kangaroo Skin they just blend into the bush around me.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 5:17 pm

The one i bought was like a poncho. Idea was waiting rather than walking. The beauty of a poncho is u can wear anything under it. I still like the idea. Next time will just make my own.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm

best Guillie suit I reckon would be made of Kangaroo Skin....... my first impression of that statement was that it seemed to be a lot of effort and a little bit crazy and it would be if somebody dressed up and started to hop around, but sungazer is correct, we mostly only see Roos by shape or movement. Colour wise they blend in extremely well with long grass and/or eucalyptus Forrest
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 15 Apr 2020, 7:27 pm

Dont get me wrong... they're impressive!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 8:10 pm

sungazer wrote:Wise old Indian said White man walk a lot see small, Indian walk small see a lot. There is a lot of truth to that as well..

Yep, one of the elders told me,,
White fella silly,,,,,, he builds big fire,, uses lots of wood,, stands a long way out from the fire,, and only warms one side.
but,,,,,,,,,,,,
Black fella,,,,, builds two little fires,, uses only small amount of wood,, sits in between fires,, and warms both sides at once.

:thumbsup: :clap:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

Very true DJ. why am I only learning that now that I’m fifty .......as nice as a fire is I never light them not even in winter ... I’m too scared of them not being extinguished properly and coming alive again if the wind blows up while I’m out hunting in the paddock s and burning down the house they let me camp in. I think the manager likes the fact that I never light a fire ..... aliquas photo of the bloke at full draw in the thick brush reminds me of the time I tried to shoot a cat with my bow at moonie ....I carry cig lighters to monitor wind direction. I will mostly put lighter back in my pocket but sometimes I will jam it temporarily in my mouth ....but I forgot it was in my mouth , and as I released my bow string the lighter was ripped from my mouth and flung thru the air towards the cat ....cat got away unscathed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 15 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

They do work very well, but only if used properly, being obvious, moving, smelling, being noisy, etc etc are all still going to 100% give you away ghillie suit or no ghillie suit.

I have used them very successfully when bow hunting, but for most rifle hunting they're very much overkill
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment