Grass Suits ??

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Grass Suits ??

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Apr 2020, 5:31 pm

A few years back these were heavily advertised, and most gun shops had them for sale.
Now they seem to not be in vogue.

I used to look at them (on display) and think they'd be a nightmare for picking up all manner of seeds and burrs, not to mention a struggle just trying
to walk through bushland.

I've never tried one, don't know anyone else that has, and certainly don't know anyone that actually bought one.

Anyone here have any experience with them ????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Grass Suits ??

Post by sungazer » 14 Apr 2020, 5:34 pm

Do you mean like Gillie suits dont think that is the correct spelling, But you mean full on cammo sniper type suits?

I cant think of anything worse.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Aliqua » 14 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

I think it's a little overkill to be honest... for hunting anyway... I mean I'd want the advantage if what I was hunting shot back, but a baseball cap and some black/green clothes should be sufficient. Given the fact that most animals are noise sensitive...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it advised if not legally required that you wear Hi-Vis while hunting?

If a cop pulled you over with a rifle and a gilli suit I could almost bet youd be put on 'the list' haha!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 14 Apr 2020, 7:51 pm

If it's deer you're after, their eyesight is known to be unable to see colour. The colour receptors that we humans have do not exist in the deer anatomy. They do see contrast differences though, which is why many hunters are successful despite the fact that they wear very bright orange jackets. Some use camo' pattern orange, but it does still significantly reduce the chance of being shot by a fellow hunter who has failed to positively identify their target, which is why it is an absolute requirement in many (all?) hunting on public lands in the US States.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Apr 2020, 8:24 pm

No1_49er wrote:If it's deer you're after, their eyesight is known to be unable to see colour. The colour receptors that we humans have do not exist in the deer anatomy. They do see contrast differences though, which is why many hunters are successful despite the fact that they wear very bright orange jackets. Some use camo' pattern orange, but it does still significantly reduce the chance of being shot by a fellow hunter who has failed to positively identify their target, which is why it is an absolute requirement in many (all?) hunting on public lands in the US States.

One very good reason to be certain that you are the ONLY one to be hunting a property.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 14 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

I have a Ghillie suit, bought it 20 yrs back thinking forward.
Only time I used it was when a silly product supplier manager chap thought paint balling would be a good team building exercise for distributors.
Good exercise area with lots of trees and shadow and such, everyone else got bruised up a lot but I hardly got shot at all and the big furry suit stopped any balls before they could do harm.
Invisible and bulletproof was excellent, sort of like that old Arnie Predator movie.
Best part was allowing opponents to get really close, better bruises through their JG overalls.
If it were for real I would not go bush without one.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

Not required here. But orange head gear and vests are fast becoming popular.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Apr 2020, 8:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Not required here. But orange head gear and vests are fast becoming popular.

Might be a silly question,,,,,, but why oh why do we always follow and take on bloody Yankee customs, practices, and ideals ???

We are NOT sheep,,,,,,,,,,,,, we are AUSTRALIAN
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2020, 9:05 pm

I mainly just wear an orange or red cap if hunting with a mate. Animals dont see it but we do. And I prefer not to get shot.

Dont buy one of these. I did, has a strong bluish glow under a UV light. Was wondering why my success rate dropped.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camo-3D-Lea ... 4525439154
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Apr 2020, 10:07 pm

ghillie suits are pretty hot and cumbersome
l use camo myself but l assure you l do realise most of the camo patterns are for the human eye and look like a big predator blob to deer
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Apr 2020, 10:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I mainly just wear an orange or red cap if hunting with a mate. Animals dont see it but we do. And I prefer not to get shot.

Dont buy one of these. I did, has a strong bluish glow under a UV light. Was wondering why my success rate dropped.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camo-3D-Lea ... 4525439154

Thanks OB, who would think (normally) that would be what animals might be seeing.
I guess you get what you pay for.
Would that be made out of the same material that the Camo Nets are made of ???

I bought two large ones that I cover the front of my ute with when parked up waiting for dogs.
Haven't noticed a huge difference in success rates cos one night is successful, then you get a couple that isn't.

:unknown: :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JoeG » 14 Apr 2020, 10:23 pm

Just watched an old timer on one of these posts shooting dogs. He just had a 2.0 meter camo tarp tied between 2 trees. 1 minute to set up. He just sat behind that and howled in the dogs. Basic hide. I love the simplicity of the old timers. Bless him.
JoeG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Apr 2020, 10:36 pm

At an archery shop they sold what they called 3D SUITS it was basically netting with plastic leaves sewn into it it was helpful for breaking up the outline of the of the body but it was always getting caught in scrub when walking. I only used it bow hunting deer. Never needed it bow hunting pigs or rifle hunting deer. I gave up bowhunting deer because they are always too clever for me Now that I only do thermal hunting at night it’s just black shorts and black t shirt. Very simple .....Dj if I can find my 3 d suit u can have it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Apr 2020, 10:40 pm

Gras suit or not , hunting deer if you move when u are wearing it the game is over Those deer are in a league of their own
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 12:13 am

I guess you get what you pay for.
Would that be made out of the same material that the Camo Nets are made of ???

No i think its different. Some sort of sinthetic though.

Suggest you just check yours under some sort of UV light yourself. I use a bug zapper light.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 12:19 am

JoeG wrote:Just watched an old timer on one of these posts shooting dogs. He just had a 2.0 meter camo tarp tied between 2 trees. 1 minute to set up. He just sat behind that and howled in the dogs. Basic hide. I love the simplicity of the old timers. Bless him.

Yeh, that would be tom varney. He died 3 ot 4 yesrs ago

I wonder if you could use shade cloth?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 15 Apr 2020, 8:35 am

Nope. Grass suits don't suit me. I will always wear a bit of hi vis color. Like some other comments on this post, I don't want to get shot or shot at.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

To avoid the blob effect I highly regard the asat camp design
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 2:54 pm

Blr243 wrote: Now that I only do thermal hunting at night it’s just black shorts and black t shirt. Very simple .....Dj if I can find my 3 d suit u can have it

Heh,,,,,, you and me both.
Thanks for the offer on the suit,, but don't reckon it would suit the way I hunt nowadays,
And like you said/verified,,,,,, a nightmare walking through the scrub.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 2:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
No i think its different. Some sort of sinthetic though.

Suggest you just check yours under some sort of UV light yourself. I use a bug zapper light.

Yep thanks Mate, I was wondering if a bug zappa would do it.
I've got one of those big ones,,, I'll test it out on the netting and see how it goes.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 15 Apr 2020, 3:12 pm

We love em when we go out withe the bow - the leafy suit moves with the breeze and you can get really close - have to wash UV out before wash em and only use the non UV washing liquid. Have also got in close with a red checked flanno so go figure!!
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 3:55 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:We love em when we go out withe the bow - the leafy suit moves with the breeze and you can get really close - have to wash UV out before wash em and only use the non UV washing liquid. Have also got in close with a red checked flanno so go figure!!

Yeh, I've come to the conclusion cammo helps but is over rated. Movement and smell, or lack of them is IMO more important.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 15 Apr 2020, 4:23 pm

Wise old Indian said White man walk a lot see small, Indian walk small see a lot. There is a lot of truth to that as well. I have walked up to animals so close without seeing them only to have them make a last minute bolt when your not looking.

Best Guillie suit I reckon would be made of Kangaroo Skin they just blend into the bush around me.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2020, 5:17 pm

The one i bought was like a poncho. Idea was waiting rather than walking. The beauty of a poncho is u can wear anything under it. I still like the idea. Next time will just make my own.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm

best Guillie suit I reckon would be made of Kangaroo Skin....... my first impression of that statement was that it seemed to be a lot of effort and a little bit crazy and it would be if somebody dressed up and started to hop around, but sungazer is correct, we mostly only see Roos by shape or movement. Colour wise they blend in extremely well with long grass and/or eucalyptus Forrest
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 15 Apr 2020, 7:27 pm

Dont get me wrong... they're impressive!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2020, 8:10 pm

sungazer wrote:Wise old Indian said White man walk a lot see small, Indian walk small see a lot. There is a lot of truth to that as well..

Yep, one of the elders told me,,
White fella silly,,,,,, he builds big fire,, uses lots of wood,, stands a long way out from the fire,, and only warms one side.
but,,,,,,,,,,,,
Black fella,,,,, builds two little fires,, uses only small amount of wood,, sits in between fires,, and warms both sides at once.

:thumbsup: :clap:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

Very true DJ. why am I only learning that now that I’m fifty .......as nice as a fire is I never light them not even in winter ... I’m too scared of them not being extinguished properly and coming alive again if the wind blows up while I’m out hunting in the paddock s and burning down the house they let me camp in. I think the manager likes the fact that I never light a fire ..... aliquas photo of the bloke at full draw in the thick brush reminds me of the time I tried to shoot a cat with my bow at moonie ....I carry cig lighters to monitor wind direction. I will mostly put lighter back in my pocket but sometimes I will jam it temporarily in my mouth ....but I forgot it was in my mouth , and as I released my bow string the lighter was ripped from my mouth and flung thru the air towards the cat ....cat got away unscathed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 15 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

They do work very well, but only if used properly, being obvious, moving, smelling, being noisy, etc etc are all still going to 100% give you away ghillie suit or no ghillie suit.

I have used them very successfully when bow hunting, but for most rifle hunting they're very much overkill
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment