Electronic Earmuffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic Earmuffs

Post by Aliqua » 18 Apr 2020, 4:38 pm

Do you guys who shoot down at the range use electronic earmuffs? I've used them before in confined/indoor ranges, but for outside what are your thoughts?

One feature I like is the fact you can clearly hear people near you talking/giving instruction.

I was looking at Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Folding Earmuffs (125$).
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Electronic Earmuffs

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Apr 2020, 4:57 pm

I’ve got some impact pros from Howard Leight - they are absolutely fantastic. Amplifying quiet noises takes a long time to get used too - ie, when you’d shoot a large centre, the muffs will isolate the noise and you’ll hear a bang but not loud, then when the echo returns, the muffs will amplify the echo, giving you a bit of a weird sensation...not to mention the wind can mess up your directional sense, as muffs might amplify a blown tree behind you - but in front, you can see it’s still - so your brain thinks, wtf...at least for a while.

I cannot use them hunting. I’ve tried but I just cannot get used to them..I doubt I could get used to any electronic set as I Simply need to have all my natural senses on alert.... But - for range / sighting in ? Absolutely brilliant.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm

I tried them hunting but impossible so In the interest of shooting more pigs I just go back to the old tried and true Aussie method of gradually destroying my hearing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 18 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

I use the Howard leights at the range. You can usually find them for about $85 online. For hunting I use the good old hikock45s.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 18 Apr 2020, 6:42 pm

Thanks guys - yeah I used electronic in the indoor ranges and they were good because there was only the shot, or the instructor talking but I didnt know how they worked outdoors.

I'm only going to shoot range for a little while so I dont mind the odd sounds - I'll either be sitting or prone so I should be fine :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 18 Apr 2020, 8:18 pm

After owning and using many different types of earmuffs, electronic and other, my preference now is for the SportEAR Ghost Stryke variety. They are in-ear rather than over-ear, the two ear modules being connected by a thin flat cable that includes two inline modules that house the USB re-charged battery and the control unit. I have used them for a full day at the range without the need for a recharge.
The beauty of them is that being in-ear, they do not get in the way of the stock, whatever position you might hold the rifle/shotgun in.
As an aside, and to the best of my recollection the specifications don't claim it, but I have found them to be "waterproof".
How do I know? Being that they are so small, and having been put into a pocket for safekeeping, they were consigned to a load of laundry. Exited the wash cycle and "found" amongst everything else - they'd had a good spin-dry. Doesn't seem to have affected them at all, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 18 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

Been next to many operating 105mm Howitzers and also shot thousands of rds through L1A1 and LIA2 SLR rifles, all without any form of hearing protection
Now I avoid places like burger joints with their s**ty piped [audio interfering] background music and I when that is unavoidable I get direct with young folk who look at their feet whilst mumbling prescribed buy more talk.

I realised quite a while back that i had began to lip read to fill in the gaps, by the same token I expect anyone dealing with me to look at me whilst conversing rather than staring at some damn keypad.

That rant finished.

Howard Leight 'muffs are crap, they are as good as $15 Bunnings hobby PPE gear and when they quickly fail you have paid maybe $80 ?.

I use good quality ' muffs and also earplugs at the range, it was explained to me once by a champion that perceived recoil is not just reaction of the rifle against the body but also noise generated.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Apr 2020, 9:47 pm

MontyShooter wrote:I use the Howard leights at the range. You can usually find them for about $85 online. For hunting I use the good old hillocks.

I dont know what "hikock45s" are...so i googled it & some retired old American youtube God appeared... :?
here...this is what came up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DeKpU3 ... dex=2&t=0s

At the start of the 2 very short clips of his that i watched, he seemed surprised :o that there was a camera there--sorry--that we were there already watching him at such a convenient time for him to have a chat (seemingly complain...?...) & exude his God-like being-ness about everything everyone asks him... :unknown: ...then he abruptly finished with dictating to us that, "thats all he has to say about that"...!!!
Clearly he's a winner fighting of an assault & battery attempt on him by the tree in the begining of the second clip......!! :huh:

Thats how it is in Gods section of you tube i guess... :huh:

Anyway...is there any similarity to this, & the hikock45s you speak of...?...the crap above is a piss take on this guy--sorry God--that appeared when i googled it, but im interested to know what this hearing protection is you use for hunting... :unknown:

:) :drinks:
Last edited by Stix on 18 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Apr 2020, 9:50 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Been next to many operating 105mm Howitzers and also shot thousands of rds through L1A1 and LIA2 SLR rifles, all without any form of hearing protection
Now I avoid places like burger joints with their s**ty piped [audio interfering] background music and I when that is unavoidable I get direct with young folk who look at their feet whilst mumbling prescribed buy more talk.

I realised quite a while back that i had began to lip read to fill in the gaps, by the same token I expect anyone dealing with me to look at me whilst conversing rather than staring at some damn keypad.

That rant finished.

Howard Leight 'muffs are crap, they are as good as $15 Bunnings hobby PPE gear and when they quickly fail you have paid maybe $80 ?.

I use good quality ' muffs and also earplugs at the range, it was explained to me once by a champion that perceived recoil is not just reaction of the rifle against the body but also noise generated.

WTF would you need to hear conversation when shooting ? the wogs that infest Eagle Park talk brainless $hit, get in the "zone" and the less distractions the better.

As someone who is asked to constantly use $15 Bunnings ear muffs at work - I can say, that any comparison between the electronic HL’s and bunnings 3m or similar $15 crap is absolute horse s**t. Perhaps the recoil from that howitzer, did a little more than damage your ears lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2020, 9:54 pm

Been done to death.

Is this a good Hearing Protection Option? • Enough Gun
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13217

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8277
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Apr 2020, 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You crack me up Tassie...!!

Well, i said it in an recent thread about muffs...ive got a few pairs of semi decent "rated" ones, & the latest i bought--the cheapest nastiest from Bunnings are by far the best...& the best thing is, the cup thingo/bit that seals against your skin doesnt constantly come off like it does on the "good" pair...

I havent been able to find them again in the green shed, so i think they were a one-off buy in to fill a supply shortage...
They cost me $12 from memory & in comparison to the good ones i have, should be worth at least $60...

And Tiger...im with you on that...no Howitzers for me, but growing up shooting in the ages of no jearing protection, & playing in live bands for the first 15 or so years of my adult life, once, maybe twice a week, & sometimes twice a night has taken its toll...
Im a carpenter & now my circ saw & sometimes cordless drill even hurt my ears when they're humming along...now when i work, just like when im out shooting, i have ear plugs around my neck as part of my clothing...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aliqua » 18 Apr 2020, 10:06 pm

Thanks for the suggestions will consider all options when I get to the range and see what works for me. I definitely would double up too. I use demo saws almost every week and I have to say the big green shed stock isn't fantastic.. Thanks OB will check out those threads.

So I found some class 5 slc80 26db buds at B's (20$ for a 200 pack) they'd be good under a set of earmuffs? - just not that good on their own given I'll be shooting a 308...
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 19 Apr 2020, 7:13 am

Mate i have a pair of the sports... honestly unless you are running a 22lr or user the buds don't bother. A friend bought them being told they were awesome... chucked them in his never to be used pile..... if only he asked me.

I have heard of you use the gel cushion they seal better. Anyway with the buds on inside the Howard you can bearly hear others speak

Hey Peltors, many people recommend then highly. From BRT
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by poid » 19 Apr 2020, 8:50 am

No1_49er wrote:After owning and using many different types of earmuffs, electronic and other, my preference now is for the SportEAR Ghost Stryke variety.

I use these when outdoors taking the odd shot, and when that the range or firing a lot I chuck some Peltor muffs over the top of them for added protection. Like most of us I lost plenty of hearing when younger so I'm keen to keep what remains.

No1_49er, how are the mics on your Ghost Stryke? Mine get crackly once you get up to a loud conversation type of volume. They're pretty decent on the farm or in the bush where you don't get a lot of louder noises.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 19 Apr 2020, 8:59 am

I also have the 12 dollar Bunnings version that is super comfortable and seals real well If when I put them on I can hear less than I wood with any other pair I have tried in the last 40 years , then I don’t need ratings and specifications to tell me what to buy .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 19 Apr 2020, 11:58 am

Bought some of the Howard Leight Impact Sports, both me and the other half use them, I find I still need plugs under them, especially at the indoor pistol range, outdoor range isn't too bad without plugs under them, until you move awkwardly and they unseal from your head.

I find that I prefer my in-ear Surefire EP5 defender plugs, however communication is painful with them in. Maybe the other surefire models with the removable plug would be ideal, rather than having to remove the whole unit during a ceasefire or to chat to someone.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 19 Apr 2020, 2:56 pm

It's hard to know what to invest in.. I'm going to start cheap (class 5 plugs I mentioned before), shoot with them, then add earmuffs, see if they are comfy to shoot in, and work it out from there. You guys have provided a number of brands/models over the couple of available threads I'd like to check out - the electronic earbuds seem excellent just very expensive.

Thanks again!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Does anyone on here have any info/links to availability of good quality Electronic Ear Plugs ?????

They are readily available via evilbay from America,,, but I baulk at the duty payable and American ridiculous postage rates on top of initial purchase price.

Surely there are Australian suppliers ?? :unknown:

Even stuff from the UK has postage rates less than the Yanks.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 19 Apr 2020, 9:19 pm

Electronic .........i managed to get a pair of custom fitted AXIL SportEar plug made a few years ago at the Melbourne SHOT Expo
They are excellent - and i would say their are many other similar electronic custom fitted and semi-custom plugs out there. They amplify background noise and eliminate loud noises such as recoil blast.
However i dont use these at the range - they come into their own when i am out stalking but for the range i use electronic muffs in the form of SportEar M2's from memory.
Work very well also.
C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Apr 2020, 10:53 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Does anyone on here have any info/links to availability of good quality Electronic Ear Plugs ?????

Surely there are Australian suppliers ?? :unknown:

Don't panic ladies and gents,,,,,,,,, I found some Australian outlets that specialize in em.

So screw the yanks and their over rated and over priced postal charges.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment