Maximum dB Earmuffs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Maximum dB Earmuffs

Post by Aliqua » 02 May 2020, 1:49 pm

Found some class 5 30db earmuffs today and the packaging said maximum 101dB? Does that mean they have no protection over 101 or is that saying that because a rifle (160db minus the 30 = 130dB) is still too loud and therefore additional earplugs should be worn?

Appreciate any clarification.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Maximum dB Earmuffs

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2020, 3:56 pm

I dont recall seeing that before. Odd.
Can you upload picks of the muffs and all the labeling, including what you mention.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 02 May 2020, 6:38 pm

I bought them for work but then saw the dB limit and thought they'd also be good for range... just wanted some clarification. I'm happy to wear earbuds aswell for shooting (160dB), but just wanted your thoughts... they're from a trade store, not a sporting brand... but have the A/NZ standards...
Attachments
20200502_180537.jpg
20200502_180537.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2650 times
20200502_180554.jpg
20200502_180554.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2650 times
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2020, 7:54 pm

Hi Aliqua,
Thanks for the pics

I would ignore the statement about 101db. May be some overseas requirement or a marketing thing.

What matters is 31db ( class 5 ) will reduce (attenuate) noise to the ear by that much. On average.

As centrefires are often about 160db, yes, certainly at the range wear additional ear plugs and ensure you fit them correctly. This is were most people stuff up.

A fair bit of good info in this thread. Look after y o ur hearing.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1971
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 02 May 2020, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification. 31dB for 29$ - cant complain :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 03 May 2020, 8:40 am

The ratings deal only with continuous noise.
So what the 101 db rating means is you can work presumably a normal work day in a 101db background noise environment and not exceed an approved level of exposure in that time provided the earmuffs fit correctly.
Firearms have an impulse noise and it is extremely difficult to measure with any sort of meaningful reliability.
I would suggest that, irrespective of any ratings, when exposed to repeated firearms noise you wear both ear plugs and earmuffs.
Unless of course you only value your hearing at $29.
I know from personal experience. I was once blessed with youth and it's attendant ignorance like so many others.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2020, 12:05 pm

"So what the 101 db rating means is you can work presumably a normal work day in a 101db background noise environment and not exceed an approved level of exposure in that time provided the earmuffs fit correctly."

101 less 31 = 70db. AU exposure standard is 85db. So strictly speaking i dont think the statement above is correct.

Regarding $29 muffs. Experience has taught me that like many things you get what u pay for. They will be OK but they will not last very long. And you will not realise it is happening. Buy better ones.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 03 May 2020, 7:57 pm

Yea I have some good ones also -- and some class 5 buds. It was more clarification on the actual 'limit'. I'd never seen it before. Like I said, I mainly bought them for work anyway.

Thanks for the clarification guys! :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment