Home made red lenses

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Home made red lenses

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 12:07 pm

Super cheap have a lense paint
Attachments
913D459F-A2C7-49F2-9E88-546B44AA1DA3.jpeg
913D459F-A2C7-49F2-9E88-546B44AA1DA3.jpeg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Home made red lenses

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 12:22 pm

I have a pair of independent switched after market light bars on the front of my quad , full white if I’m heading home and don’t care , red filtered if I’m slowly cruising or no lights at all if I know the terrain and I’ need to be super sneaky ... the red one has a polycarbonate screen in front wrapped in red cellphane. I realised you can also turn projected white light red by useing a red Nikko pen on a clear filter ..a weeks hunting with the red cello is no prob and the same hunt a month later is probably fine too but after that I have been noticing that my low projected red light for seeing where I’m driving has been gradually whitening to the point where I’m no longer feel safe and I’m getting busted. I was thinking I had to buy new cellophane and re wrap it but my mate told me about red light die that can be purchased. It’s a spray can and is specific ly aimed at old cars whose tail lights are horribly faded. So I just tried it on a panel of clear corflute polycarbonate type product and it seems to work good. This particular shield covers a light bar on the front of my hilux. I just tape it over the light bar once I arrive at the property and remove it before I head home. Since it worked so well I’ll dig out the quad and paint up one of the shields as well. Once field tested I will repost it’s suceess or failure. I think if you were painting up a small disc for a torch filter it would make sense to do a light pass with the paint and then wait before successive passes with the spray can. Other wise runs or heavy spots would drastically stuff up the evenness of your projected red beam
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 May 2020, 5:00 pm

are the animals alarmed by it :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 7:01 pm

Yes MM it does look a little bit like some sort of flashing siren. I tested it with a very strong torch today and the light shining out the other side was somewhat red but whiter than I was comfortable with so I added more red paint and I will try it again. I have been helping someone built polycarbonate sheeting on pergola roofs lately so off cuts easy to come by. Clear , like coreflute and ten mm thick ..... I think I will make a few different shades of red filters so that out in the paddock I can choose the perfect one and discard the others .... I want enough light to see by at speeds between 5-30 kph but I don’t want any bright white in the light projected onto the track in front of me. I also don’t want any strong glow from the light bar as an animal is looking at it directly
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 7:14 pm

Yes MM it does look a little bit like some sort of flashing siren. I tested it with a very strong torch today and the light shining out the other side was somewhat red but whiter than I was comfortable with so I added more red paint and I will try it again. I have been helping someone built polycarbonate sheeting on pergola roofs lately so off cuts easy to come by. Clear , like coreflute and ten mm thick ..... I think I will make a few different shades of red filters so that out in the paddock I can choose the perfect one and discard the others .... I want enough light to see by at speeds between 5-30 kph but I don’t want any bright white in the light projected onto the track in front of me. I also don’t want any strong glow from the light bar as an animal is looking at it directly
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment