Bench Rests

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bench Rests

Post by Aliqua » 20 May 2020, 6:58 pm

Good Evening,

I bought some front and rear bags last week not thinking clearly, as my 308 had an AR grip. Thus it doesnt really sit well.

I have a harris bipod which I'll be shooting off, but I would also like a bench rest to really lock the rifle in while I'm trying to sight in at the various lengths.

I know there are a variety of designs and prices but just looking at some options maybe used by benchrest shooters here.

It doesn't have to double up as a cleaning vice or anything - this is really just for solid locking in during sighting and cannot be too light as it's going to be holding onto a 308.

Thanks in advance guys!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Bench Rests

Post by TassieTiger » 20 May 2020, 9:33 pm

I started with one of these -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sale-Xhunte ... Sw1VRevS-3

But now use a Caldwell rock Rest front and large rear Bag (kits $300).

The MTM ones are okay - far from pro - but okay to mess around on and Hold / clean rifles - they run about $80...all plastic though...

There’s a decent thread here on building cheap shooting tables using Bunnings things - vice fable $18 and some marine ply. Some ppl went a little further than others lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Aliqua » 20 May 2020, 9:51 pm

I'll try and find it.. I would prefer something that is going to give me the best results while sighting in... maximises the chances of accuracy when it's set up properly and I'm just using my bipod :)

Do you think that ebay link product is more than adequate for sighting in at variable distances and expecting very good results or spend a little extra on something like the Caldwell? Remembering I dont want to shoot from it full time?
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2020, 10:12 pm

You can get a three inch fore end adapter that bolts to where the front sling swivel goes from Brownells. This would allow you to sit the front of the rifle on the front rest that bench rest shooters use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2020, 12:18 am

Rests are for isolating problems or testing ammo. Zero the firearm in the same way you intend to shoot it for real. If you shoot prone with a sling then zero the rifle the same way.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2020, 12:27 am

Here is one of several options.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8826&start=18

But 3 legs is better than 4
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 21 May 2020, 8:55 am

bladeracer wrote:Rests are for isolating problems or testing ammo. Zero the firearm in the same way you intend to shoot it for real. If you shoot prone with a sling then zero the rifle the same way.

I can understand and agree - but isn't it better to have a perfectly still crosshairs if you are trying to sight in at an extended distance like 200m? The variances at each distance are magnified at larger distances?

I want to eventually zero in as accurately as possible at 200 and then as you said prone and sling at any distance past that in bipod only and shoot at longer distances eg upto 1km for arguement sake.

Perhaps there is a kind fellow at the range that will let me borrow theirs for a few mins? :)
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 May 2020, 11:00 am

recently l bought one of these rock br rests but l have always just used a set of bags to use off the bench and l am finding l shoot way more precise off simple bags
l suppose its what l am used to, who knows

when shooting using a bi-pod on a bench apparently its advisable to have something soft, carpet ect.. under the feet to help with the recoil management
to stop the jumping and dragging ect... l also push into the bipod just enough so l can let the rifle go and it wont fall down, doing this gives a little for backward movement of recoil
to be able to shoot straight and precise the rifle needs to be able to recoil straight back on the bags ect...
as has been said it is advisable to practice how you are going to use the rifle but when working up loads its more about the load than shooting in an awkward position prone down hill or off the shoulder
also using a setup that will inhibit recoil will usually shoot differently when not in that type of rest
l still say that bags are the best for testing the rifle and ammo, for me :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 May 2020, 11:37 am

I went from bags front and rear to that exact rest MM posted up and that helped me a lot - reverse of MM, so it’s individual.

That eBay rest allows you to dial the rifle in front and rear to a point where you only need touch the trigger - it holds the rifle front and rear - but, it interferes with recoil.

But if you are deadset on perfecting your accuracy at say 200m (oh boy - I see a rabbit hole here lol), then you need to do a few things externally to guarantee / rule out base errors.

Take a level with you when sighting In to make sure your scope is dead vertical On the target. Don’t trust eye, ground, other vertices. Draw a dead straight vertical line and shoot it. Also check scope correction - dial 30moa vertical and shoot again at same line - measure the vertical poi and check the calculations against distance, turret meadures, correction - some scopes will dial 31-32 inches, other 28-29. Did 30 moa vertical move your poi to left or right? Ive seen a 30moa move on a Leupold move 1 moa left when dialling in 30 moa up...what about windage - same rules...use a level, check and add tour own correction factor. You need to factor all this in...when you did test, did you shoot and measure speed to rule out ammunition anomalies ? What about eye position / your shooting position ? Was parralaxx perfect for test...was barrel hot / cold...etc etc etc etc and on and on...
Aliqua...I can tell by your questions mate - your screwed. Your going down the same whirlpool that pulls Most of us - hang on and enjoy the ride lol.

Have you been able to get out ? had some shots yet?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 May 2020, 12:01 pm

I would tend to agree with mm on this one.

Shooting hand loads is about the grouping while being consistant. You can only get consistant with practice (something most everyone been lacking lately). If you don't already have get a 22lr, practice there on it. My local shop have a really good cz452 for sale (used)

Bipods need to be loaded up. And the bags are good. I have moved away from bipod and have a front rest and reward bags. Once its setup things are predictable
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 May 2020, 1:54 pm

I recently got this new with the bag for $50. But u need to shop around, some want double that and extra for the bag.

It's a "SR 300 smart reloader rifle rest"

20200521_134943.jpg
20200521_134943.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 3560 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 21 May 2020, 6:43 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Have you been able to get out ? had some shots yet?

Not yet. I'm planning on next friday/monday.

Thanks for all of your input guys - something more to research. I think I'm going to try and return my unused bags and get something a bit taller.

Will have a look at these rests and see which ones the guys at the shops can source from the list provided. Thanks oldbloke for the link - will read more of it tonight!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 21 May 2020, 6:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I recently got this new with the bag for $50. But u need to shop around, some want double that and extra for the bag.

It's a "SR 300 smart reloader rifle rest"

20200521_134943.jpg

Very nice! Could be perfect - adding to the list!
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment