Tripod ball head recommendations?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Tripod ball head recommendations?

Post by bcr83 » 12 Jun 2020, 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I've got a a good manfrotto tripod here that I use with my DSLR camera, I'd like to buy a ball head to use with my chassis rifle (can out an arca Swiss adaptor on it)

Can anyone recommended a quality , high load capacity ball head to mount to the tripod?

I know RRS and Leofoto make good ones but they are all over $350... Looking for something a bit cheaper than can support 15+ kgs

Thanks in advance
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Tripod ball head recommendations?

Post by Bugman » 12 Jun 2020, 5:46 pm

Manfrotto, Benro are a couple that come to mind. Depends on the weight of your firearm as most ball heads are designed for SLR and medium format cameras.
Me thinks that most probably, you may have spend a bit to get what you want/need for this exercise. Try Dragon Image in Sydney Photo Equipment Store, Fotogenic at Silverwater, to mention just a few pro suppliers that may have what you want.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

I have an older style joystick head...havent seen it in years & cant remember the model.
Just had a quick search & cant see its made anymoire

It would hold my Tikka walk-about outfit i rekon, but i doubt it would hold 15 kg's on an angle though...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Jun 2020, 1:26 am

Would one of these work for you?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bog-dea ... ing-tripod

I have just ordered one for myself. I plan on using it as part of my fox calling set up.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bcr83 » 15 Jun 2020, 1:17 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:Would one of these work for you?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bog-dea ... ing-tripod

I have just ordered one for myself. I plan on using it as part of my fox calling set up.

This looks awesome but expensive once converted to aud and shipped? Thinking about 300 bucks??

I've got a top end tripod just need the head for it. I'll see if they do something separate. Really liking the look of that though :cry:
bcr83
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 15 Jun 2020, 2:09 pm

these tripods are not as easy to shoot from as you may think
the one Bruiser has put up looks the ducks nuts, l have the older version and although l have done alright using the bog pod it really is not for long range shooting
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 Jun 2020, 6:52 pm

I am still waiting for the Bogpod, but according to Fedex it should be here yesterday. So hopefully it will arrive by the end of the week. The price landed here was $255. I may have got it a bit cheaper from Cabelas as they had a cheaper (but much slower) freight option. Once I get it and start using it in the field, I will post a review. My plan is to use when fox calling. It isnt super lightweight, but it should be feasible to walk with it to close the gap on foxes when we using my Pard nv007. Well, that’s the theory. I will see how it goes in practice.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 23 Jun 2020, 10:32 pm

it looks more sturdy than the original one l have
l found l needed to put the legs on mine out as far as they can go to be really sturdy but l still wasn't 100% happy
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 Jun 2020, 7:21 pm

marksman wrote:it looks more sturdy than the original one l have
l found l needed to put the legs on mine out as far as they can go to be really sturdy but l still wasn't 100% happy

The bloody thing still hasn’t arrived. It will be very interesting to see how it works in the field. If it doesn’t provide a stable platform it will be a dud. Having said that, what drew me to it was the favourable user reviews. Time will tell. Hopefully I wont have wasted $255.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment