American style gun rank for back of ute.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

American style gun rank for back of ute.

Post by Khan » 31 Jul 2013, 4:27 pm

Not to sound too bogan :D but I have 4X4 ute which I use for a little off-roading when hunting/camping etc.

I'm keen on the idea of having one of the american style gun racks for the back for when I'm on private property. After much googleing for something though I can't find anyone that sells the American style ones that you see in the back of pickups in movies etc.

Only stuff I can find is like the foam strips which stick on the side to lean your rifles up against when the cars parked.

Is there some problem with having these in Aus? Or just not enough demand maybe since we can't drive around with our guns on display like the yanks?
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: American style gun rank for back of ute.

Post by Khan » 31 Jul 2013, 4:28 pm

Not a great picture, but this is the kind of setup I'm talking about

Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by tarnagulla » 31 Jul 2013, 7:09 pm

Khan wrote:Not to sound too bogan :D but I have 4X4 ute which I use for a little off-roading when hunting/camping etc.

I'm keen on the idea of having one of the american style gun racks for the back for when I'm on private property. After much googleing for something though I can't find anyone that sells the American style ones that you see in the back of pickups in movies etc.

Only stuff I can find is like the foam strips which stick on the side to lean your rifles up against when the cars parked.

Is there some problem with having these in Aus? Or just not enough demand maybe since we can't drive around with our guns on display like the yanks?

You got it in one.... Driving around like that in most states here will land you in a world of pain.
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Vati » 31 Jul 2013, 7:58 pm

You're inviting a whole lot of "random" police stops with a rifle rack in your back window.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 31 Jul 2013, 8:10 pm

tarnagulla wrote:You got it in one.... Driving around like that in most states here will land you in a world of pain.

I'd only have the rifle there when driving on private property during a shoot.

Obviously wouldn't drive round the streets with anything racked on it.
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Khan » 31 Jul 2013, 8:11 pm

Vati wrote:You're inviting a whole lot of "random" police stops with a rifle rack in your back window.

I'll stick a plastic flower in there while I'm on the public roads to avoid suspicion :P
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Atter » 01 Aug 2013, 11:05 am

If the police run your licence/plates doesn't it come up for them that you have firearms licence anyway?

I thought I read that somewhere...?
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 01 Aug 2013, 11:36 am

Atter wrote:If the police run your licence/plates doesn't it come up for them that you have firearms licence anyway?

I thought I read that somewhere...?

That's after they've pulled you over though. If you're driving along minding your own business there is no reason that they should be running any of your information.

Any suggestions of firearms though may draw there attention, even when it's not deserved.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Khan » 16 Aug 2013, 10:57 am

Yelp wrote:Any suggestions of firearms though may draw there attention, even when it's not deserved.

I suppose that's unavoidable. Might stick up a fake gun rack of some sort to see if it draws and attention before I go through the effort of buying/installing a proper one. Tape on a plastic one or something, hmm...
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment