I survived the week end

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

I survived the week end

Post by Blr243 » 12 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

Took my new 308 rifle down to dads farm ...showed my nephew how to do a bit of shooting and some important safety lessons ....I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is too shoot, Very comfortable and manageable no problem at all I think I’m going to love it ...prob won’t even need the recoil pad ....saw a couple of bunnies but left them alone. My father is 75 but still goes hard tree clearing , chainsaws and tractors .....but he rushes into everything full steam ...I told him that I will never understood how he has not managed to kill himself so many years in steep country .....I assisted and came away unscathed with just minor bruising
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: I survived the week end

Post by marksman » 13 Jul 2020, 9:29 am

well done and l''ll bet you had a ball :thumbsup:

good to hear the rifle went through its paces ok, l was actually thinking that 130gr interlocks may work ok in it as you wouldn't be trying for 400m shots
l've set them up for my young bloke to practice off the bench in a 308 winny featherweight and they are very mild to shoot but l shot a couple of fallow with it/them earlier in the year at under 100 and they just fell over, bang flop but if you are happy with what you are using that will do

at 75 l would expect your dad comes from the "go hard, give it all you have got and never say die era" all you can do is give him some room and keep out of his way, my uncle was the same, he would push you out of the way to dress out the deer you just shot, at 83yrs young and he would get real cranky if you wanted to take a photo of him doing it

its a good thing to be teaching the young firearm safety, they dont learn it off the xbox or playstation and if they go to a range and get screamed at by the RO all they learn is the RO screams, it just builds walls, but to have someone talk you through it you can see the excitement in their eyes while they learn

l'm glad to hear it went well :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: I survived the week end

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2020, 6:44 pm

We intended starting practice with my 22 mag to ease him into it as he not handled or shot a rifle before .....But I checked the bore for obstruction first just in case and I found a small column of dried mud in the end of the barrel. So bloody good thing I checked. I will always check in future ....maybe it picked up the mud from inside the bag i don’t know
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment