The Vault is built, now I'm chasing storeage rack idea's

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

The Vault is built, now I'm chasing storeage rack idea's

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 Aug 2020, 4:34 pm

If you remember, in February I was chasing ideas and opinions on how to build a vault in the new shed I was getting built.
Well 6 months later I've got the new shed and vault built.

Now I'm looking for idea's on storeage racks/cupboards.
I'm an absolute novice with timber but I'd like to do it all myself.

What's everyone's ideas on best way to make storeage racks? If anyone has photos that would be appreciated

Inside measures 2.6x2.6m and 2.4m high
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: The Vault is built, now I'm chasing storeage rack idea's

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2020, 5:18 pm

I dont know one end of a hammer from the other so I'm also interested to see what the fellas suggest.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2020, 5:34 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:If you remember, in February I was chasing ideas and opinions on how to build a vault in the new shed I was getting built.

What's everyone's ideas on best way to make storeage racks? If anyone has photos that would be appreciated

Just for firearms? I would just hang them on the walls. If you start storing other stuff in there does it still pass as a gun safe?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2020, 8:23 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:If you remember, in February I was chasing ideas and opinions on how to build a vault in the new shed I was getting built.

make steel racks out of RHS box tube and use a combination of marine carpet and foam rubber from clarks rubber to line the racks with to hold the firearms vertically . visit a few gun shops for rack ideas cooter . i would have the racks bolted to the walls and floor as well .

half ya bloody luck having a walk in safe mate :D :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by boingk » 04 Aug 2020, 9:00 pm

I'd go a box section on the bottom lined with automotive boot carpet or similar, then a rack composed of a single hardwood post with V notches in it for the top. Kinda like this:

Simple, works nicely, and you can easily see what is there. The pegboard up top in that picture is a nice touch, too. You could use it for small shelving units to carry whatever you'd like, or simply a rack for further firearms.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2020, 9:06 pm

awesome setup
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 Aug 2020, 9:08 pm

Yeah Blade just firearms in the vault. In time I will build a mezzanine floor in the rest of the bay that the vault is in, then close in underneath to make a mancave/reloading room.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 04 Aug 2020, 9:12 pm

boingk wrote:I'd go a box section on the bottom lined with automotive boot carpet or similar, then a rack composed of a single hardwood post with V notches in it for the top. Kinda like this:

Simple, works nicely, and you can easily see what is there. The pegboard up top in that picture is a nice touch, too. You could use it for small shelving units to carry whatever you'd like, or simply a rack for further firearms.

- boingk

Thats a good one cheers boingk
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2020, 9:14 pm

If there’s room and to add some nostalgia - I’d live to see a heap of the old 3 x 5 dog ear wooden gun racks that used to sit over the fire place - I’ve seen some from timber, deer antlers, etc you could tailor up a wall - this wAll is my xxxx and sitting in xxxx then this wall over here, well....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 04 Aug 2020, 9:57 pm

Twin slot track shelving. It’s available at Bunnings.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 04 Aug 2020, 10:03 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If there’s room and to add some nostalgia - I’d live to see a heap of the old 3 x 5 dog ear wooden gun racks that used to sit over the fire place - I’ve seen some from timber, deer antlers, etc you could tailor up a wall - this wAll is my xxxx and sitting in xxxx then this wall over here, well....

Do you have a pic Tassie? I think I know what you mean but cant picture it exactly.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2020, 11:01 pm

Like this - we used to build these in high school.
Attachments
385B3E89-E503-464D-8073-A2A06B498D01.jpeg
385B3E89-E503-464D-8073-A2A06B498D01.jpeg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 05 Aug 2020, 6:02 am

TassieTiger wrote:Like this - we used to build these in high school.

Yeah they are cool tassie. I've been planning on building one of these opposite the door so you look straight at it as you open the door
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2020, 11:05 am

boingk wrote:I'd go a box section on the bottom lined with automotive boot carpet or similar, then a rack composed of a single hardwood post with V notches in it for the top. Kinda like this:

- boingk

yup, great setup . that's the gun room i'd like :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2020, 11:08 am

TassieTiger wrote:Like this - we used to build these in high school.

that'd look good on the wall taz , near the fireplace, while i'm sittin' in me rockin' chair , sippin' bourbon whiskey ......... :lol:

:thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 05 Aug 2020, 2:26 pm

As with what boingk posted, here is a small section of that style of rack that a youtuber did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSa0T6nqfME

He does also have a retrofit video on his channel
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 06 Aug 2020, 3:20 pm

Cheers newguy I find pegboard never makes a room look great though, kind of looks cheap or something
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Aug 2020, 3:29 pm

G'day Kelsey Cooter,
If you want the "Classy Look" mate, line the walls with some of these! These are actually DIY from a downloadable PDF I found some time back when I had dreams of having a gun room, before 1996 stuffed that idea, Cheers
Attachments
Cabinet PDF .jpg
Cabinet PDF .jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 6700 times
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 07 Aug 2020, 9:48 am

Wow No1 that looks so good. We have a huge problem with dust here where I am. So I've been seriously wondering if I will need to put the okd girls behind glass
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 07 Aug 2020, 11:00 am

In a vault wouldnt dust be a rarity?

I may just be overly new but I thought that (some) dust wouldnt be a major issue to the functionality to the guns if you plan on cleaning them before and after every use. Only to the presentation of how good they look when in storage.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Aug 2020, 11:57 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Wow No1 that looks so good. We have a huge problem with dust here where I am. So I've been seriously wondering if I will need to put the okd girls behind glass

Mate...I cannot emphasise this enough, Ive got a couple sheds that were not wrapped when built and when ever it gets windy, the dust drives me absolutely crazy.
My reloading room is built within one of these sheds and I thought I’d sealed The room reasonably well with ply, insulation and foam - but nope - a good wind and the sandy area where I live and fark me...I have an anger problem.
I plan on lining the sheds now with a forticon, over lapping plastic (Not 100% worked out how) - if your area is like mine, I strongly suggest you entertain a similar idea if you can...nothing worse than cleaning everything and then the next day...arghhhhh !!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 08 Aug 2020, 1:10 pm

we can store fire arms like this in australia?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Aug 2020, 1:16 pm

G'day cracker,
No, LRD knocked back cabinets like this due to the glass window, even though a cabinet maker in Sydney offered these with security glass back in '97. Tassie is looking to place rifles in a secure vault, just needs ideas on how to set up a rack system. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 08 Aug 2020, 3:37 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day cracker,
No, LRD knocked back cabinets like this due to the glass window, even though a cabinet maker in Sydney offered these with security glass back in '97. Tassie is looking to place rifles in a secure vault, just needs ideas on how to set up a rack system. Cheers.

but you can store them in a vault you could walk into... you could vault a room in your house easy enough.... or build in something in a garage
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Aug 2020, 4:21 pm

G'day cracker,
Yes, in a vault you could have them. Tassie has built walk-in safe in his new shed and intends to set out his guns in a nice manner. I have a friend near Bendigo has done the same with some small tilt panels left over from a job, made a 3m x 4.4m room in his garage and lined it with display cases from a large jewellers shop that was going out of business and a couple of cabinets he picked up from Greys Auctions. 2 arm chairs, small coffee table, bottle of port, great way to spend an evening talking guns. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 08 Aug 2020, 7:27 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day cracker,
Yes, in a vault you could have them. Tassie has built walk-in safe in his new shed and intends to set out his guns in a nice manner. I have a friend near Bendigo has done the same with some small tilt panels left over from a job, made a 3m x 4.4m room in his garage and lined it with display cases from a large jewellers shop that was going out of business and a couple of cabinets he picked up from Greys Auctions. 2 arm chairs, small coffee table, bottle of port, great way to spend an evening talking guns. Cheers.

mad, 100% im bricking up my study window.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Aug 2020, 7:35 pm

cracker wrote:we can store fire arms like this in australia?

If Police accept the structure as a vault you can.
But you can't use your vault as a general storage or secure room - unless you keep your firearms in gun safes inside the vault. If you want to keep your firearms on display the vault has to be treated like a gun safe. Nobody else has access, no ammunition in there, etc.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 09 Aug 2020, 12:56 am

bladeracer wrote:
cracker wrote:we can store fire arms like this in australia?

If Police accept the structure as a vault you can.
But you can't use your vault as a general storage or secure room - unless you keep your firearms in gun safes inside the vault. If you want to keep your firearms on display the vault has to be treated like a gun safe. Nobody else has access, no ammunition in there, etc.

Hell yes we can. Read the legislation. A 'strong room' is just a firmly locked, strongly constructed room. There's more to it than that but only slightly. Knowing your legislation ("rights" as the Yanks would say) is the first step to enjoying this hobby. The info I provide here is specific to NSW, check for your local regs.

If you want ammunition inside the strongroom you need to have it secured safely in a locked receptacle, or in a seperate area from firearms. This can be an adjacent room, a cupboard or preferably a metal safe such as can be purchased relatively cheaply from Bunnings and the like. Pick your size and shelving arrangements and away you go.

FWIW, my ideal arrangement would be a room about 2.3m wide by 4m long with a single door on one of the short ends in the middle of the wall. Behind the door as it opens is a shelving unit for odds and ends. Next to that along the wall toward the centre of the room is a metal cabinet about 1m wide, 35cm deep and at least 1.5m tall. This would be for ammunition, powder and primers. Anything that will readily go 'boom' if mistreated.

Opposite the shelf and cabinet would be a reloading table with rack system on the wall. Draw into that what you will. I like space for a laptop on the table adjacent to the main loading area so I can easily access data, or wind down after with a show etc.

The rest of the room, basically the other 2/3rds of it in other words, would be firearms locked to a rack system.

Overall it's a relatively modest space, something many people could recreate in a shed, spare room, disused bathroom or even a small home extension. I'd strongly recommend looking at the last paragraph of the NSW Police Dealer Safe Storage Guide which details vaults and strongrooms, as well as the Collectors guide which details recommendations for storage of collections. Consult your local Police, too, and ask for the licensing seargeant. Failing that get someone who at least is able to reference the relevant legislation and speak to you about it.

After construction remember here that presentation is everything. If it is neat, tidy and ticks the main points you will fly through a final inspection. Strong walls, tick. No or grated windows, tick. Heavy door with multipoint lock, tick. Clean and well presented rack system, tick. Ammunition and components locked away, tick. If the room is shoddy/dirty, incomplete or you have components left lying around (like in a powder hopper, spent brass etc) then you'll fail an inspection in an instant.

So keep it neat and professional. Tick.

One last tip. Think about lighting and presentation. Seriously. Cops are just ordinary people with a bit of training. Many have only received the training they got at the academy, often on run-down or simply dirty and old ranges. Likewise, a safe is a big grey metal box with a safe loading device next to it - chips in the paint from having countless rounds ejected after sitting in a chamber for 12+ hours without being so much as leaving the holster.

My point? Give 'em a show.

Put spotlights on those fahrkers. Make the good stuff stand out. Have tiered lighting with a time delay, so when you open the room the overhead spots come on in banks away from the door in 1 second blocks, or even the rifles themselves and then a fade up on the main lighting. If you're building the room anyway it's only another small step... plus you'll feel like a goddamn king every time you step in there.

At least, that's how I'll do it. Just my two cents.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 09 Aug 2020, 9:45 pm

Yeah I totally agree about keeping it neat and professional. I already feel like a king by just opening the vault door haha

In my situation I had to start from scratch wether it was going to be a strong room or a vault, so I went with the vault because I thought if I'm going to spend this much on building it, I don't want to still have to put my guns in lockable racks or safes in the room just so my reloading and cleaning tables can be in there.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 09 Aug 2020, 9:51 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Mate...I cannot emphasise this enough, Ive got a couple sheds that were not wrapped when built and when ever it gets windy, the dust drives me absolutely crazy.
My reloading room is built within one of these sheds and I thought I’d sealed The room reasonably well with ply, insulation and foam - but nope - a good wind and the sandy area where I live and fark me...I have an anger problem.
I plan on lining the sheds now with a forticon, over lapping plastic (Not 100% worked out how) - if your area is like mine, I strongly suggest you entertain a similar idea if you can...nothing worse than cleaning everything and then the next day...arghhhhh !!!!

Yeah I've got 2 roller doors on the north side of the shed so I'm expecting dust is gunna be an issue. Once I build the reloading room/mancave in the bay the vault is in, the vault door will open into the mancave, so I'm hoping that will also help me stop the dust from getting in the vault
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment