Whip repairs - Se Qld

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Whip repairs - Se Qld

Post by snag » 12 Aug 2020, 7:09 pm

Does anyone know of a leatherworker who can do whip repairs in SE Qld (Sunshine Coast preferably)? My old stockie and I are no longer working the land, but I'd like to retire her in good nick for whoever gets her next. Specifically, the keepers perished and torn and I may as well have a new fall and cracker put on to replace my rough-and-ready campfire efforts. Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Whip repairs - Se Qld

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm

Falls and crackers are pretty straight forward to do.
I use to make my own crackers by twisting up just the right amount of bail twine.

I've only had to replace the fall on my stock whip once, however the knots that hold it are pretty much just a series of half hitches that use each strand of the whips plaits.
images (11) (3).jpeg
images (11) (3).jpeg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

images (11) (5).jpeg
images (11) (5).jpeg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

A light dose of neatsfoot oil will keep it from getting to hard.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 12 Aug 2020, 8:34 pm

I would give Horseland at Palmview a call. They might be able to put you onto someone.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 13 Aug 2020, 7:40 am

My brother in law apparently had an old whip repaired some years ago by someone I think, around Gympie. It was some ago and I have no other details.
Better get cracking ;)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment