Air rifle pellet traps

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Air rifle pellet traps

Post by auriga3 » 29 Aug 2020, 3:51 pm

I am using a .22 cal air rifle at 30yds,the pellets are going through 3 pieces of rubber backed carpet inside the trap the pellets have flattened,has anyone any info on different backing for inside the trap? Thanks
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Air rifle pellet traps

Post by rc42 » 29 Aug 2020, 4:07 pm

Sheet steel will stop the pellets and leave them as flat lead discs in the catcher tray but the trap should be made of that already.

What else do you want the trap to do? be quieter? not damage the pellets so you can use them again?
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2020, 4:09 pm

auriga3 wrote:I am using a .22 cal air rifle at 30yds,the pellets are going through 3 pieces of rubber backed carpet inside the trap the pellets have flattened,has anyone any info on different backing for inside the trap? Thanks

I have a small Ebay pellet trap but the pellets blew the cap off, and have virtually punched through the steel backing. Mostly I shoot them into a cast iron bath with a sheet of 3mm MDF across it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 09 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm

Thanks bladeracer &rc42 i was hoping to make it a bit quieter,guesse a couple more bits of carpet might do it.I didnt think it would be possible to reuse the pellets again.
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2020, 6:46 pm

auriga3 wrote:Thanks bladeracer &rc42 i was hoping to make it a bit quieter,guesse a couple more bits of carpet might do it.I didnt think it would be possible to reuse the pellets again.

I did make a trap using pieces of 4x4 tyre tubes, and it is quite effective, but awkward due to them being curved. From memory I think about six-layers was enough to stop 1000fps .177" pellets. I need to get some thin sheet rubber.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 10 Sep 2020, 11:25 am

Have a look at archery targets, common ones are a hard foam material about 2 inches thick.
If you use that as a backing for paper targets the pellets won't make much noise and won't get through unless you are repeatedly hitting the same spot but the holes close up after a pellet enters so it will take a lot of shots and moving the target around will resolve that.
I use a piece of one of these in front of angled steel plate on a 22LR target frame that I made and the bullet hits are near silent at 25m.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Sep 2020, 12:57 pm

Attachments
20200910_114246.jpg
20200910_114246.jpg (322.35 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
20200910_114224.jpg
20200910_114224.jpg (275.69 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 21 Oct 2020, 2:43 pm

Thank you to everyone for the replies
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Oct 2020, 7:59 am

Yeah - 2 alloy coke cans in a row and a zincalume shed wall - WILL NOT - stop a 800fps .177 pellet (please don’t ask)...but roofing iron at 20m, angled down - will.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 22 Oct 2020, 9:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
auriga3 wrote:I am using a .22 cal air rifle at 30yds,the pellets are going through 3 pieces of rubber backed carpet inside the trap the pellets have flattened,has anyone any info on different backing for inside the trap? Thanks

I have a small Ebay pellet trap but the pellets blew the cap off, and have virtually punched through the steel backing. Mostly I shoot them into a cast iron bath with a sheet of 3mm MDF across it.

Why dont you try a big sheet of coreflute instead of the MDF-?-wouldnt be as messy getting the pellets...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2020, 11:31 am

Skinna wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Why dont you try a big sheet of coreflute instead of the MDF-?-wouldnt be as messy getting the pellets...

Because coreflute is plastic and not good for cows' tummies.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GojiraSteve » 03 Nov 2020, 4:10 pm

I built mine out of a galvanised tool box from bunnings (cant remember the dimensions, but around $25). Faced in with 20something mm MDF and a polarfleece blanket folded to size (maybe 20 layers?) and tacked into the back/base MDF board. Stand it up on one end for shooting and when done just lay it down on its "back" close the lid and pack 'er away next to the rest of the toolboxes.

Up to now I've just been fixing a piece of cardboard to the front with stick on reactive "splatter" targets. though seeing blade racer's duelling tree type set up I might have to install one.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment