Best gun oil you use

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Best gun oil you use

Post by rob » 19 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

What is the best gun oil your have used or using for metal part, action etc.

Do you use one oil for the barrel and another oil for the bolt?

Thanks.
rob
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: best gun oil you use

Post by Ken » 19 Mar 2014, 1:46 pm

Bore Tech oils for me.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: best gun oil you use

Post by Monty » 19 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

rob wrote:Do you use one oil for the barrel and another oil for the bolt?

Yes, two different products.

For your barrel, action, and general surfaces all you need to do is preserve the metal and protect against corrosion. Plenty of oils will do this, whatever your preference is...

You're bolt contains moving parts which need lubrication and is directly subjected to high pressure. For this you need more than a preservative oil... You need an appropriate grease (or equivalent).

Castrol Moly is a popular one, Inox is another. Frog lube...

Opinions will vary, but when you're shopping make sure it's suitable for the bolt, as gun oils made for preservation likely won't be.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Re: Best gun oil you use

Post by Apollo » 19 Mar 2014, 3:59 pm

As a general lubricant and to apply a fine smear to bolt internal parts I use Tetra Gun Lubricant which is a Fluoropolmer Penetrating Lubricant and Bore Conditioner. I always run a patch coated with this down my bore after cleaning. Remember to dry patch it out.

To protect barrels, actions, woodwork and stocks etc I use Inox sprayed on a cotton cloth and keep the cloth until it gathers a bit too much crud. The Inox I use is Food Grade Approved, what that means dunno but I suppose I can eat it...!!! Smells nice, leaves a nice sheen on everything.

Do not put any heavy oil or grease in your bolt internals, light gun lube like Tetra and then only a smear.

Bolt Lugs need special attention. To avoid gawling bolt lugs use a High Pressure rated Grease behind the lugs and keep them lubricated. The likes of Bore Tech Extreme Grease, Pro-Shot Premium Grease or even really any high pressure grease, moly, silicon but needs to be high pressure rated.

The things I don't like are Rem Oil & WD40 plus anything else that imitates those products. In my view they don't work to provide any long term protection.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 19 Mar 2014, 9:08 pm

I use sweets oil in the bore(shake well and heat under armpit) or if just for a few days some inox. All oils should be patched out before use to avoid damaging the bore.

Wynns supreme red grease for the bolt lugs - you must have grease on the cocking piece and cam as well as the lugs. And for the pivot pins in shotguns. But most NLGi2 greases are okay.

Linseed oil ONLY for woodwork unless it is varnished then it doesn't matter.

Rem oil or any of the brand gun oils will do the job, the only disadvantage with WD40 is it dries out and leaves a film behind that hardens, this can build up on parts a bit but is good for longer term storage if resprayed occaisonally.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 19 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

Linseed Oil... Raw or Boiled...???? There is a major difference.

One left on a rag and put away will self ignite...

Linceed Oil is for Cricket Bats.... Put it roughly, Natural Treated Timber.

Very few Gun Stocks are treated that way these days.

Keep the Linseed Oil away from your guns....!!!! Especially metal parts.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2014, 9:22 am

Apollo wrote:Linseed Oil... Raw or Boiled...???? There is a major difference.

One left on a rag and put away will self ignite...

Linceed Oil is for Cricket Bats.... Put it roughly, Natural Treated Timber.

Very few Gun Stocks are treated that way these days.

Keep the Linseed Oil away from your guns....!!!! Especially metal parts.

I will agree that it need to be boiled linseed oil, other than that you are generally incorrect.

Boiled, good for any wooden stock unless it is varnished(and I include tru oil, danish oil etc as varnish- but I often wipe them down with it anyway.) and for what it is worth I stripped the factory finish off my silver pigeon and refinished it in linseed oil, much nicer. Linseed oil does build up a residue on metal but it also dries off to a hard finish on wood.

I have seen too many oil damaged stocks to ever use mineral oil on them.

I have a stock that has ONLY been linseed oiled since 1865(and many others over 100 years old) and it is in perfect nick.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Spooner » 21 Mar 2014, 7:55 am

I'm using Tetra for the wipe down stuff. Bore Tech for the thick bolt stuff.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by rob » 21 Mar 2014, 4:35 pm

Thanks for all the reply and all the tips
rob
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ade » 26 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

Hoppes number nine.
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by FourFingersof Death » 26 Mar 2014, 10:32 pm

I have usedall of them and had problems with water getting into my garage, very damp and some of the rifles got rust on them. Since converting to FrogLube, no problems. We had a huge storm last year and I was away for a few days, when I got back, there had been 75mm of water through the garage and there was a lot of moisture in the safes, but no rust on the guns. The handguns on the bottom shelf were actually wet,but no rust. http://froglube.com/
FourFingersof Death
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 27 Mar 2014, 11:50 am

I've just ordered a cleaning pack of the Frog Lube stuff as my Bore Tech's ran out.

Fingers crossed it lives up to it's rep, a lot of people swearing by it these days.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 28 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

Check out this test. Find something that has similar properties to the better oils, and get a "borestore" :)

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 29 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

Plenty of oils and grease should be used, but remember t patch out the barrel before use and the chamber should be bone dry..... lube in the chamber during discharge is a no no.... confirmed by his shooting highness P.O.A.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 30 Mar 2014, 9:38 am

I was at my local a few weeks ago (or months now? I forget) and some bloke was in their with this new rifle he'd just wrecked.

He went straight out with it, shooting without having removed the grease and all the crap it ships with in the barrel.

Added a nice little bulge to his new barrel...
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by beerhog » 30 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

My favorite general purpose oil is lanox.
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by beerhog » 30 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

My favorite general purpose oil is lanox.
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 30 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

I just bought some eezox from Canada lol. Will see how that goes :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by jastreb » 04 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

von_klitzing wrote:I just bought some eezox from Canada lol. Will see how that goes :)

Have been using eezox for a year and a half. Love it. There is a youtube video on how to properly apply it. The way I understand it, it soaks up in the metal and leaves a dry finish.

The idea is to degrease the metals as much as you can, apply it well and generously, leave it overnnight and next day wipe it dry. You can repeat this process again, next day and after day you dont need to worry so much any more. Just re-apply every 6 months or so again.

I juts wish I could get the aerosol version imported here. Would be so much easier to get it into the hard to reach places.
Steyr Pro Varmint .243 [Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50]
Tikka T3 Super Varmint [Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP]
Anschutz 1712 FWT .22 [Tasco 6-24 x44 Target]
Diana Mod54 AirKing .177 [Tasco 3-9 x50]
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm

I've been using Singer Sewing Machine Oil for years for the bore, exterior metalwork, bolt etc, I also use grease for the bolt lugs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 04 Jul 2014, 7:04 pm

I always use lanolin spray on for storage . It leaves a sticky residue but it totally stops rust in my experience and the residue comes off if you re-apply and wipe it off . I'm sure that it's not the best but it works for me and it's pretty cheap :D just my 2c
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 04 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm

jastreb wrote:
von_klitzing wrote:I just bought some eezox from Canada lol. Will see how that goes :)

Have been using eezox for a year and a half. Love it. There is a youtube video on how to properly apply it. The way I understand it, it soaks up in the metal and leaves a dry finish.

The idea is to degrease the metals as much as you can, apply it well and generously, leave it overnnight and next day wipe it dry. You can repeat this process again, next day and after day you dont need to worry so much any more. Just re-apply every 6 months or so again.

I juts wish I could get the aerosol version imported here. Would be so much easier to get it into the hard to reach places.

I live in Far north QLD and EVERYTHING RUSTS! I've been using Eezox the last couple of months and it's worked as it should. I recommend it. Also, it smells strangely really nice... I have kind of subconsciously linked that smell with my rifles now, as I did with burnt cordite in my military days. When I see my rifles, part of the expectation is to smell Eezox now lol. Weirdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbw0vRjH2s
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jul 2014, 8:09 pm

I use g96 on blued metal surfaces, Molly grease on the cam lobe and bolt lugs ( very sparingly ) linseed oil on the raw stock on the 12 gauge , light machine oil to preserve the barrel and lube the bolt. I have used zinc oxide grease on some parts when I think there is going to be a increased chance of getting very dusty as it won't attract contaminants as readily.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm

I just use a light lubricating oil to prevent rust and grease on areas of high pressure such as bolt lugs and shot gun pins.

Regarding Boiled Linseed oil. Under the right circumstances it will spontaneously ignite. As it dries out it generates heat and if it is soaked on an easily ignited material, say rags or paper a fire can start after just a few hours. particularly if they are in an enclosed area that retains heat.

Here is a link to a youtube video with some additional info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EreqG0_PLQ
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 05 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm

Inox MX3 for everything except the bolt lugs and cocking cam which I use a very light smear of Magnalube G or Lubex Green grease
Last edited by Varmtr on 06 May 2016, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by nords » 05 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:It leaves a sticky residue but it totally stops rust in my experience and the residue comes off if you re-apply and wipe it off . I'm sure that it's not the best but it works for me and it's pretty cheap

Better than one that runs off and leaves your metal unprotected.

If it ain't broke...
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by jastreb » 11 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

von_klitzing wrote:I live in Far north QLD and EVERYTHING RUSTS! I've been using Eezox the last couple of months and it's worked as it should. I recommend it. Also, it smells strangely really nice... I have kind of subconsciously linked that smell with my rifles now, as I did with burnt cordite in my military days. When I see my rifles, part of the expectation is to smell Eezox now lol. Weirdo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbw0vRjH2s

lol. Can't believe you mentioned the smell. Yes I find it pleasant too. Reason I find it funny is that one day last week when the family was away I took the chance to make myself comfy in front of tv in lounge room and reapply eezox to all my toys. I normally do it in my man cave which is removed from the main house.

It was all packed away before they came back, but the wife noted the smell and was upset with me. She said I am never allowed to use it in the house again. At which point I mentioned me putting up with that sh!t nailpolish remover and other chemicals she uses daily for years. .......It has now been 8 days, 6 hours and 18 mins.. still no sex. :|
Steyr Pro Varmint .243 [Burris Eliminator III 4-16x50]
Tikka T3 Super Varmint [Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP]
Anschutz 1712 FWT .22 [Tasco 6-24 x44 Target]
Diana Mod54 AirKing .177 [Tasco 3-9 x50]
jastreb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rossi » 14 Jul 2014, 8:33 pm

I use G96 for absolutely everything. Blued surfaces, bolts, you name it. Been doing so for two years and I can't fault it.

However for bores I use Butch's bore shine but I usually follow it up with G96 to leave a protective layer in the bore after I clean out the copper, lead and powder fouling.
Rossi
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jul 2014, 9:19 pm

jastreb wrote:It was all packed away before they came back, but the wife noted the smell and was upset with me. She said I am never allowed to use it in the house again. At which point I mentioned me putting up with that sh!t nailpolish remover and other chemicals she uses daily for years.

Ha ha.

I'm aaaaalways pushing my partner down the other end of the couch when she breaks that stuff out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 14 Jul 2014, 9:20 pm

jastreb wrote:I normally do it in my man cave which is removed from the main house.

Best room in the house ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment