ching sling

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

ching sling

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2020, 7:57 pm

just thought i'd put up a photo of the ching sling l have just finished making as l could not find one for sale anywhere
l have to say it is without doubt the most solid sling l have ever used :thumbsup:

here's a link to show how they work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-oHZQ2smpA

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: ching sling

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Oct 2020, 8:04 pm

Is that a winchester 70?
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 29 Oct 2020, 8:12 pm

yes, a featherweight :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 29 Oct 2020, 8:32 pm

And, if you want a real Ching Sling, have a look at this and see how it's really made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLISJXm42Lk
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Oct 2020, 10:03 pm

marksman wrote:yes, a featherweight :thumbsup:

A man of culture I see ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by keenstalking22 » 29 Oct 2020, 10:49 pm

Seriously whats with random stuff like ching clings being unobtanium in australia
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by No1_49er » 30 Oct 2020, 4:44 am

keenstalking22 wrote:Seriously whats with random stuff like ching clings being unobtanium in australia

Seriously??
Take a look at what it is, and make your own, just as OP did.
Or would that be too hard?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Oct 2020, 6:41 am

marksman wrote:yes, a featherweight :thumbsup:

forget about the sling ;) , what scope and caliber is the chinwester 70 :P (big rich , confirmed winchester 70 nut .... :crazy: :lol: )
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Oct 2020, 8:11 pm

she is an old mod 70 xtr featherweight made in new haven chambered in 308 with a leupold vx3 2.5-8x36 BR
the ching sling was an idea in2anity put up, very glad he shared :drinks:

l've had the rifle for awhile now and bought it for my daughter to use when walking up deer, something she could carry and shoot being smaller in stature
but l have used it more than her :lol: l dont even know l'm carrying it, the sling is IMHO a huge improvement for a steady hold
l settled on 130gr hornady sp bullets that l've shot a few fallow with so far,
l'm not as steady as l once was off the shoulder off hand so l thought l'd give it a go and make one as l cannot find one in Australia or the US for sale
as No1 said they are not hard to make but a bit tricky in making the measurements from a photo, l will put a link to what l made my ching sling off
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/l ... aar.47328/
being the first one l've made this one is a bit rough but is as steady as so will do the job, its very quick to get into as you bring the rifle up it slide's on
here's a photo of the daughter holding the rifle with the sling although the sling isn't adjusted to her

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 31 Oct 2020, 6:56 am

great old rifle MM . she's a push feed ? the CRF are highly regarded but i think the push feeds are better accuracy . i love mine . i got two push feeds 222,358 , and one CRF 6.5x55 . at the moment ....... :D i've often thought about getting a 2.5-8 loopy on my CRF , but without a set back front scope mount i think i would have to crawl up the stock too much for the right eye relief

good to hear your daughters being raised right too mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Oct 2020, 9:17 am

Well done :thumbsup:

Personally, I refuse to use any sling that's not made from leather with metal fasteners.

Screw that webbing junk with plastic buckles, its a disaster waiting to happen
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 04 Nov 2020, 11:12 am

Wow...great job marksman...!! :clap:
Doesnt look at all rough from the pics... :thumbsup:

Did you already have the leather working gear or you buy it...?

Gonna have to give that one a crack i think...!! :)
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Nov 2020, 11:19 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Well done :thumbsup:

Personally, I refuse to use any sling that's not made from leather with metal fasteners.

Literally just had a plastic adjuster fail on my Adler while climbing a small ridge. Reflex’s are still decent - stopped it hitting ground...just. I’m a convert now...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 04 Nov 2020, 12:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Well done :thumbsup:

Literally just had a plastic adjuster fail on my Adler while climbing a small ridge. Reflex’s are still decent - stopped it hitting ground...just. I’m a convert now...

Lucky you...the first ding on my 7-08 came from that...out on a goat hunt & the sling broke at the forend...hit a rock then jammed the muzzle in the dirt filling the first quarter inch of bore with dirt...OUCH,,,!!!
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Nov 2020, 12:56 pm

Crap mate, they would suck. But - mine are tools...I do love well present firearms but keeping them pristine is next to impossible, as I use them - snd I imagine yourself in prob similar situation.

It’s one reason I don’t mind synthetic stocks - yeah, they are plastic and a bit s**t but wood marks do darn easily in the field...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 09 Nov 2020, 10:05 am

Well done marksman - looks legit. You just need to get your daughter to thread her arm through the loop before the wrap. See how she feels dropping her elbow onto the hip something more like this https://www.texasguntalk.com/attachment ... jpg.56307/
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2020, 10:46 am

Skinna wrote:Wow...great job marksman...!! :clap:
Doesnt look at all rough from the pics... :thumbsup:

Did you already have the leather working gear or you buy it...?

Gonna have to give that one a crack i think...!! :)

cheers Skinna
it did work out ok and l have tried it out when shooting bunnies at night with the pard, it is a big improvement than without
all l needed to make the sling was the leather strap, 6mm screw studs, a cutting wheel, a hole cutter, masking tape, pen, ruler and screwdriver
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leather-Hid ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20PCS-Belt- ... 1cedaf75be

"You just need to get your daughter to thread her arm through the loop before the wrap"
l hear you in2anity :thumbsup: she is a lot smaller than l am and the sling was set for me at that time, l did have a go myself threading my arm through while out with the pard and it is a better way to use the sling :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment