How long will my gong last???

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

How long will my gong last???

Post by flashman » 14 Nov 2020, 7:16 am

Hi all picked up a gong yesterday along with a heap of raw components ,primer , powders ,ect ,the gong in question is a Black Carbon ,Bisalloy /500 ,150mm by 12mm thick ,i say for 22lr any range good 223 and 308 w ..?.............just wondering if anyone got .if so how did it perform.....thanks
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: How long will my gong last???

Post by Ziege » 14 Nov 2020, 8:25 am

a 223 at 100m+ wont kill it, bigger fast calibres will however. but even in saying so I have a crappy mild steel gong made from some scrap that is only 3/8" steel and its been shot hundreds of times with 223 I'd say maybe after 900+ shots it might die. but at the moment only holes it has is when I do dumb things like hit it with the 300 or 270 but then a welder takes care of those holes almost immeditately.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 14 Nov 2020, 8:45 am

Thanks ziege ,thought of making my own out of scrap metal too ,but for the price not bad ,should have grabbed 2and experimented ...
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Nov 2020, 11:58 am

G'day flashman,
12mm thick 500 rated steel will take 223 all day long and will outlast you. I know the owners of Black Carbon and they rate the 12mm gongs for 4500f/lb of energy using copper jacketed lead. Don't use armour piercing SS109 or solids and you will never wear it out. I have been shooting one with 303. 308, 8mm 30-06 and 243 for a couple of years and it is still good, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by kneelo » 14 Nov 2020, 10:13 pm

I picked up a piece of 20mm gr250 plate from work. I havent tested it out yet but any idea how it will stand up to a 6.5 creedmoor?
kneelo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 15 Nov 2020, 8:48 am

Thanks all that`s good to hear ,next question is do you paint them white or leave as is Iv just add some stick on targets to give me a center point .
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 15 Nov 2020, 2:39 pm

The sticker will likely fly off with the first hit.
I just use an orange rattle can of dulux enamel paint to touch up hits.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 15 Nov 2020, 5:26 pm

I set up a bisalloy plate and shot it with my 7mm Rem Mag at 30 metres with a Winchester fail safe and it made a slight bulge.At 100 metres the .243s were not even marking it.A shooting buddy turned up with it from the workshop where he is a boiler maker.It was 200 mm round and 10 mm thick.I am going to the farm tomorrow I will take a picture
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flashman » 15 Nov 2020, 7:22 pm

Yes pics please rattle can good thinking, quick and easy.
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 15 Nov 2020, 7:32 pm

years if your a bad shot
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 16 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm

LOL mine will last for ever................ :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 17 Nov 2020, 12:48 am

A good enamel paint will help absorb some of the lead dust as well.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bello » 15 Dec 2020, 4:14 pm

Hi Guys
I bought from an auction, some of those aluminum tube, gal coloured frames, they use on those road signs, the ones that say workmen ahead, etc. Got them for a song, NEW. I got various size ones for my different size gongs I made from scrap steel.
I use cheap Bunnings white spray paint to paint them, and I made a 100mm round template that I spray red for the center of the gong.
When they are hit by bullets they lose the paint, so I tried oil based house paint which seems to stick better. I am going to try some caliper paint a guy gave me next time I am out to see if they resist bullet strikes any better.

Can't use stickers as they just fall off.
One of my gong I was shooting with 223 up to 308, no problems. When hit with the 300 win mag soft points, it went straight through.

A mate had a bisalloy gong he was shooting with different calibers. No problems, even with the 300 win mag.
Then he tried some PPU soft point 300 win mag rounds, they went straight through. They must have some tough game over in Europe :lol:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2020, 6:57 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Guys
I bought from an auction, some of those aluminum tube, gal coloured frames, they use on those road signs, the ones that say workmen ahead, etc. Got them for a song, NEW. I got various size ones for my different size gongs I made from scrap steel.
I use cheap Bunnings white spray paint to paint them, and I made a 100mm round template that I spray red for the center of the gong.
When they are hit by bullets they lose the paint, so I tried oil based house paint which seems to stick better. I am going to try some caliper paint a guy gave me next time I am out to see if they resist bullet strikes any better.

Can't use stickers as they just fall off.
One of my gong I was shooting with 223 up to 308, no problems. When hit with the 300 win mag soft points, it went straight through.

A mate had a bisalloy gong he was shooting with different calibers. No problems, even with the 300 win mag.
Then he tried some PPU soft point 300 win mag rounds, they went straight through. They must have some tough game over in Europe :lol:

I keep some cans of paint handy but I prefer not to paint them, more realistic trying to make out the rusty colour against a field background.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Dec 2020, 8:19 am

Use flat black or white undercoat paint, it dries quick and sticks to the metal. Spray-marker type paint works best but 'aint cheap.
Avoid gloss enamel, it gives you a bad sight picture due to reflections and touch ups tend to run and not cover up the metal.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Farmerpete » 16 Dec 2020, 5:12 pm

Why not paint it white cover it in packing tape then paint it black, i do that with paper and its just as good as splatter targets could work on lead too
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2020, 6:18 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Why not paint it white cover it in packing tape then paint it black, i do that with paper and its just as good as splatter targets could work on lead too

Because one bullet hitting the steel is probably going to blow the tape off.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 21 Dec 2020, 9:47 am

This is one of my newer gongs
5 mm mild steel. Painted with oil based undercoat (White) and red primer for the 100mm centre.
The frame a thin tube. Light to carry and put in place.
Hopefully we don't go into lockdown again over Christmas and this one will get a workout up to 500meters all going well.
I will weld some chain to the back of the target and then tie wire that chain to the frame. Makes it easier to change the damaged targets out in the field.
Attachments
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg (44.96 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 22 Dec 2020, 6:24 am

Well ur wright been banging away with 22lr,22mag,223rem all good so far ,see what u mean with spray paint but all up a good investment ,beat2 mild steel..... :thumbsup: .
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Dec 2020, 1:20 pm

I have a Black Carbon gong.....I've molested it with a 50BMG and a .416 Barrett, Only the .416 made a mark @100yds using 395gr brass VLD projectiles launched in excess of 3000fps. If Bisalloy 500 can take this then it'll outlast you and your grandkids....
https://youtu.be/fS4uHSa-s-c
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 22 Dec 2020, 1:44 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have a Black Carbon gong.....I've molested it with a 50BMG and a .416 Barrett, Only the .416 made a mark @100yds using 395gr brass VLD projectiles launched in excess of 3000fps. If Bisalloy 500 can take this then it'll outlast you and your grandkids....
https://youtu.be/fS4uHSa-s-c

You obviously need to step up to a 300 wm using PPU soft points then. :) Thats where the power is goes straight though them see previous posts. :lol:
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by flashman » 24 Dec 2020, 6:48 am

Well il be buggered ,that's a 416 Barrett , my will last for ever............. :clap:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment