Ring not big enough, advice ??

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ring not big enough, advice ??

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2020, 5:34 pm

After several weeks waiting for the new IR Torch to be delivered from "MR CHINAMAN", it arrived today.
When ordering it I read the spiel regarding dimensions.
It stated that the body tube was 30mm,,,, and it could be mounted using "any 30mm scope ring"

Well I unpack the torch, and try to mount it.
Uh Oh,,,,,,,, :wtf: ,,,,,,, there is no way it would fit.

I get the verniers out and the ring measures 29.65mm (just right to clamp on a 30mm tube)

I measure the IR torch that's supposed to be 30mm, and it comes up at 31.29mm :x :problem:

Due to it's inherent shape, I can't just bung it in the lathe and try to relieve it.
Apart from going out and buying another set of rings (split in neat halves) instead of the 1/3 / 2/3 type, any suggestions ???

And just to annoy me even more, I see now that one of the two supplied rechargeable batteries (been on charger now for 5 hrs) is showing no sign of accepting any charge whatsoever whereas the first one was done in two hours and is fully charged.

Dammmmm you Mr Chinaman. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Ring not big enough, advice ??

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2020, 6:07 pm

Mr chinaman can deliver really good 18650 liths for next to nothing sometimes. And sometimes not ... I have more than I need on a hunt in case some fail. For the rings , aggressive sandpaper on a stick In a drill. , or die grinder , hang on a minute , it does need to be done right if you want that illuminator pointing in the right direction
Last edited by Blr243 on 16 Nov 2020, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 16 Nov 2020, 6:26 pm

You have a lathe.
Assuming you have a four jaw can you clamp the rings to the tool post and place a boring bar in the chuck?
Actually if you have a 4 jaw just use that.
Failing that use a reamer or file. Allow won't take long.
Make or buy a drill bit and drill them out.
Maybe you could stretch them depending on the metal.
Just buy a cheap set of 34mm rings and shim or bush them.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2020, 7:10 pm

Lawrence I’m impressed. I have a couple of lathes and have experimented with boring bars but I never thought about putting a boring bar in the chuck before ....and your reamer idea prompted my memory that I have a set of large adjustable reamers ....I’m catching up with dj in a couple of days so if I have a suitable reamer he can borrow it. I’ll check when I get home. I’m at the pub haveing a steak
Last edited by Blr243 on 16 Nov 2020, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 16 Nov 2020, 7:16 pm

Blr243 wrote:Lawrence I’m impressed. I have a couple of lathes and have experimented with boring bars but I never thought about putting a boring bar in the chuck before ....and your reamer idea prompted my memory that I have a set of large adjustable readers ....I’m catching up with dj in a couple of days so if I have a suitable reamer he can borrow it. I’ll check when I get home. I’m at the pub haveing a steak

Thanks BLR243
I can but try.
Hope you enjoy the steak :drinks:
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 16 Nov 2020, 7:38 pm

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 Nov 2020, 7:55 pm

Turns out the largest adj reamer I have is roughly one inch. I thought I had some in the 30/32/35/38 range but either I can’t find them or perhaps I only thought of purchaseing them .....they will probably show themselves after the task is sorted , always the way
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2020, 8:34 pm

Thanks fellas,,
I have reamers, but only up to 1" in both fixed tapered and adjustable.

And, Womble,, the torch came with one of those monstrosities,, but is useless trying to fit it to a scope that has 45mm diameter tube at its
narrowest point,, with not enough length to fit it either.

I think I'll have to buy a set of 34 mm rings and turn up an aluminium bush and then slit one side so it'll clamp. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2020, 9:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks fellas,,
I have reamers, but only up to 1" in both fixed tapered and adjustable.

And, Womble,, the torch came with one of those monstrosities,, but is useless trying to fit it to a scope that has 45mm diameter tube at its
narrowest point,, with not enough length to fit it either.

I think I'll have to buy a set of 34 mm rings and shim it using a coke can. :clap: :clap: :clap: :allegedly: :thumbsup:

I fixed it for you. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2020, 9:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
I think I'll have to buy a set of 34 mm rings and shim it using a coke can. :clap: :clap: :clap: :allegedly: :thumbsup:

I fixed it for you. Lol[/quote]

Or that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Nov 2020, 10:15 pm

Constipation is not an issue to be taken lightly, it can result in...hang on...wrong forum.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2020, 4:57 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Constipation is not an issue to be taken lightly, it can result in...hang on...wrong forum.

Obviously we (forum) aren't giving you the sh!ts Tassie. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Nov 2020, 12:38 am

My ring is big enough ? Lol.
Wish my missus quoted this thread topic too me...
“Honey, my ring isn’t big enough, any ideas”?
“Well yeah, a couple”....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Nov 2020, 10:49 pm

Well, Mr China man replied,,,,
First up he says, please kindly send photo of packaging, and items cause concern, Do not worry we investigate and fix for you.

So I send pics of packaging,,, pic of digital vernier over torch tube showing the measurement,,, and the battery in the charger that won't charge.
Plus, a more detailed description of the issues.

He replies and says,,,, All things close checked before posting, and that I have misunderstanding of torch that is not ordinary torch. Must be used with NV goggles or camera.
Please be sure to push button and turn on torch in dark.
Where pointed is where NV goggles will see.

NO BLOODY MENTION OF THE ACTUAL PROBLEMS THAT I MESSAGED HIM ABOUT.
It's truly amazing how well he understood my first message,,,,,, but then all of a sudden me no understand.

I gave the mongrel negative feed back for his incompetance,, and for trying to treat me like an idiot.
And, as per usual,, Evilbay are of no bloody help.
Any would be buyers looking to buy CHINEE ,,,,,,,,,,,,, be aware.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 19 Nov 2020, 12:14 am

wet and dry on a 30mm bar and hone/linish it out
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 19 Nov 2020, 9:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:My ring is big enough ? Lol.
Wish my missus quoted this thread topic too me...
“Honey, my ring isn’t big enough, any ideas”?
“Well yeah, a couple”....

very very funny TT :lol: :lol: :lol:

and DJ it is a toss of a coin with ebay but l would put in a complaint that the torch is not what was advertised, by ebay rules you will be entitled to a refund
l have done it myself when having trouble with an ebay seller who kept changing the goal posts and ended up with the item and a refund
the item was crap though :thumbsdown:
worth a try :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Nov 2020, 2:18 pm

marksman wrote:
and DJ it is a toss of a coin with ebay but l would put in a complaint that the torch is not what was advertised, by ebay rules you will be entitled to a refund
l have done it myself when having trouble with an ebay seller who kept changing the goal posts and ended up with the item and a refund
the item was crap though :thumbsdown:
worth a try :drinks:

Yeah Mate,, been there and done that.
Ebay said because it was posted from outside Aus they could not be of assistance.
I'll simply work on a (very meaty 30mm ring) that I've got spare until it fits,,,,, then buy one battery,,,,, and I should be set.

The hassle is worth it to enable me to give him NEGATIVE feedback along with a warning to other prospective buyers.

I'm no Einstein by any means,,,,, but resent being treated like a brain dead mongoloid maggot with hemorrhoids.

:D :D :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Dec 2020, 11:50 am

So I’m digging around in the shed today and I found those big adjustable reamers I thought I had. ...finding them after the need no longer exists. Always the way
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Dec 2020, 10:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:So I’m digging around in the shed today and I found those big adjustable reamers I thought I had. ...finding them after the need no longer exists. Always the way

It's OK Mate,,, I managed to machine one of a pair to do the job.
Now I've listed the whole kit for sale,,,, including the "special" oversize wheel that clamps onto the focus knob that makes it easier to adjust.

What was your query re welding ????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Dec 2020, 7:21 am

It was in regards to trying to weld the hub to the axle. My axle spline stripped on my quad Parts are un available for months. I need my quad running again because I’m goin on a trip prior to x mas. I know welding cast can be a bugger. Was not sure if my hub is cast or not. Anyway the big 35 mm nut that threads onto the axle is proper steel. So I ended up welding the hub and the nut and the axl together and it went fine ...so the real test will be when I start cruising the paddocks to see if my welding is up to scratch it’s 30000 acres I have to cover. I much rather not have a windscreen in front of me when I’m thermal scanning so better in the quad than in the Ute
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Dec 2020, 11:08 am

Blr243 wrote:It was in regards to trying to weld the hub to the axle. My axle spline stripped on my quad Parts are un available for months. I need my quad running again because I’m goin on a trip prior to x mas. I know welding cast can be a bugger. Was not sure if my hub is cast or not. Anyway the big 35 mm nut that threads onto the axle is proper steel. So I ended up welding the hub and the nut and the axl together and it went fine ...so the real test will be when I start cruising the paddocks to see if my welding is up to scratch it’s 30000 acres I have to cover. I much rather not have a windscreen in front of me when I’m thermal scanning so better in the quad than in the Ute

Sounds good,,,,,,, so long as you put thought into it (before) welding it,, in regard to getting it apart again when the new parts arrive.

I hope the resultant heat input hasn't stuffed any internal seals, which could also give you a headache.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Dec 2020, 11:44 am

There were no internal seals on there. Maybe they disintegrated and fell off. Just stuffed spline on the axle and stuffed spline on the hub. Loose worn and sloppy When the covid parts Eventually arrive from overseas I will just grind the axle off so it can be removed and the shop will fit my new axle and hubs for me ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment