Price increase, WTF ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Price increase, WTF ?

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Nov 2020, 12:17 pm

Was looking online last weekend (22 Nov) at an item I wanted that was advertised as being "On Special" from a large store here in Australia.
So, first thing Monday morn (23rd Nov) I rang and said I wanted to buy it.
Sales person tells me that the price had just gone up due to $130 increase by their importer, and that the next shipment isn't due till Jan/Feb 2021

So feeling like I had no choice, I paid for the item including the $130 increase on the advertised price.

On Wednesday 25th Nov I look at the same site/advert,,,,, and it's still advertised at the (pre price rise) amount.
So I ring the store and quiz the manager about it, and reminding him about consumer law,, and paying the advertised price.

He replied and said that their site and the advert is handled from "overseas" and that they are in the process of changing to a new site,, and he couldn't change anything or interfere.

It is now Sunday 29th November,, and the same advert and same original sale price is still current.
It makes me wonder that in the process of a week,, How many others have been sucked in ? :unknown:

Consumer protection people/office tells me that if a business has been quizzed/notified of such,, the business should rectify it ASAP.

Is a full week acceptable with the advert still not been updated ?? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Price increase, WTF ?

Post by cz515 » 29 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm

Any other shops have the same item in stock at old price?

I would call the ACCC or equvalent state based organisation in your state.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Nov 2020, 12:57 pm

Sounds a bit on the sketchy side to me mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Nov 2020, 2:20 pm

I would not have purchased. If u can cancel the order.

They must sell at the advertised price at the time of purchase. But I think they can refuse to sell. Believe it or not. Each state could vary.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 29 Nov 2020, 2:27 pm

The law gets a bit complex depending if the old price is shown.
Basically they are breaking the Trade practices act by having deceptive advertising.
But if they have a price tag on something then this is considered as " An invitation to treat" and as such they are not legally bound to sell for that price.
This changes if there are 2 prices on it but I cannot remember the details for sure but think the seller is then obliged to meet the lower price.

Anyway good luck
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 29 Nov 2020, 3:06 pm

Had a similar incident a little while ago. Did a bit more research, found out some "interesting info" so I further enquired to the said shop, armed with a lot of new info.
Guess what? Once caught out, they backtracked quickly, but not quick enough. I cancelled the order. If they bullshitted me then, what hope is there in the future, when dealing with them?
Eventually got the item elsewhere, after a bit of time, at a better price.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 29 Nov 2020, 3:09 pm

I enquired over the phone about a pair of glass carrying handles ( suction cup type) And was told they were 66 dollars each. I assumed that included gst. So I drive there to pick em up and they said 66 dollars plus gst. I bought them any way but I think it’s pathetic sales tactics. If u have to be sly to get people into your shop your not worth dealing with ...... I have always told someone exactly what I charge them no nasty surprises .....the economy is not that bad that we have to start behaving like animals
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Nov 2020, 5:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I enquired over the phone about a pair of glass carrying handles ( suction cup type) And was told they were 66 dollars each. I assumed that included gst. So I drive there to pick em up and they said 66 dollars plus gst. I bought them any way but I think it’s pathetic sales tactics. If u have to be sly to get people into your shop your not worth dealing with ...... I have always told someone exactly what I charge them no nasty surprises .....the economy is not that bad that we have to start behaving like animals

The law actually says that when a business supplies/quotes a price it must be gst inclusive unless they state at the same time that the price is "ex" gst.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Nov 2020, 6:50 pm

Thanks d j. I’ll remember that for next time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 29 Nov 2020, 6:58 pm

Blr243 wrote:I enquired over the phone about a pair of glass carrying handles ( suction cup type) And was told they were 66 dollars each. I assumed that included gst. So I drive there to pick em up and they said 66 dollars plus gst. I bought them any way but I think it’s pathetic sales tactics. If u have to be sly to get people into your shop your not worth dealing with ...... I have always told someone exactly what I charge them no nasty surprises .....the economy is not that bad that we have to start behaving like animals

Ffs that's s**t. As die said. The law states for consumers a business always has to advertise gst inclusive price. I have been known to throw woblies when tradies try to do that on work. Then some will try to say that quote was a cash price..... and i tell them to jam it. As they needed to specify when giving the quote that is a cash price or GST exclusive price.

When i am buying for the business from another business, i normally expect the price to be ex GST.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Nov 2020, 4:52 am

DJ - I reckon if you penned your complaint outlining the consumer law, I reckon that the manager would find in your favour because - if your willing to go to that length, you might also be willing to pen a letter to the AFCA and if found to have breached trade practices act = big fines...much easier to help you out than deal with an audit.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Dec 2020, 12:01 pm

Today I checked their site again,,, ( 01/12/2020),, well over a week since I ordered and paid in full, and chatted them about the advertised price.

It is still advertised for the pre price rise price.

So,,,,,,, I rang them yet again,, and their story hadn't changed.
So I told them to cancel it all, and refund me.

I contacted "Magnum Sports" in Sydney, and got the same item,,,, for the same price,,,, without any bullsh!t. (Praise where it is deserved)

Not only that but I will get it 4-5 weeks earlier than the Melbourne mob said they could.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Dec 2020, 12:44 pm

Must admit. Andrew and the boys at Magnum are pretty good. Good stuff.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Dec 2020, 12:47 pm

It’s strange - I’ve seen some firearm shop prices clearly taking advantage of known shortfalls and then others who are working with customers to gain a suitable outcome.
Ie one local shop is taking orders for powder from as many as possible so they can place a large order and bring price down...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2020, 1:54 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It’s strange - I’ve seen some firearm shop prices clearly taking advantage of known shortfalls and then others who are working with customers to gain a suitable outcome.
Ie one local shop is taking orders for powder from as many as possible so they can place a large order and bring price down...

What a top idea. I just wonder if their licence will allow in kgs?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Dec 2020, 1:56 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It’s strange - I’ve seen some firearm shop prices clearly taking advantage of known shortfalls and then others who are working with customers to gain a suitable outcome.

That would make good common sense.
Tis a pity more didn't follow those footsteps.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Dec 2020, 2:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

What a top idea. I just wonder if their licence will allow in kgs?

It’s the shop themselves OB - they are taking names to try snd counter the $75 per 500g we are currently paying.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment