Spotting Scope and Cataracts

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Spotting Scope and Cataracts

Post by Nails » 25 Dec 2020, 6:51 pm

Hi all, I recently bought a spotting scope with the intention of reading targets out to about 500 yards. The scope is a Bushnell Forge 20-60x80. I’ve been finding that at higher magnification (especially) the image is cloudy in the centre, like there’s a spec of dirt inside the scope, but with persistence I can usually make out the bullet holes (308 at 400yds) if I look into the eyepiece on an angle. I was tempted to return it as faulty, but first I had my 14yo son check the same target and he tells me the image is very clear. I have recently found that I have fast growing cataracts, so this is probably the reason for the cloudiness. I just wanted to ask if anyone has had this experience and if cataracts are the cause.
I’m also both long and short sighted but multifocal specs fix this.
Thanks
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Spotting Scope and Cataracts

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Dec 2020, 9:31 am

You should talk to your doctor about your vision, I am sure that you already have.

In regards to your Bushnell spotting scope, it is a low end optic made with budget glass. It is always going to be a challenge to make out details at longer ranges even more so if there is a little mirage. I find that when there are difficult conditions I can sometime get glimpses of the bullet holes by looking off to the side. I think you can see contrast better by using the receptors located around the edges of your eye.

I have been able to look through some excellent spotting scopes during competition and the quality of the glass in optics like Swaroski and Leika make it possible to see your bullet holes in difficult conditions. I cannot bring myself to spend the $4,000 to own one myself.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Nails » 28 Dec 2020, 12:15 pm

Thanks SCJ429
I realise the optic isn’t that great, I was tempted to get a Swaro but just couldn’t justify 3x the cost for the amount of use it would get. I have regular follow ups on the eyes and at some point will be getting the cataracts done. I was just hoping someone may have had experience with magnification and cataracts, its a question ask the doc next time.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 28 Dec 2020, 2:00 pm

Go and get a eye test at the Optometrists ....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Dec 2020, 7:59 pm

Sad but oh so true.
You get what you pay for.

Bushnell = :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment