Making my 4 wheeler quieter

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Making my 4 wheeler quieter

Post by Blr243 » 09 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm

16 yrs old 250 cc runs very well ., nothing wrong with the existing muffler. I have never thought of it as noisy. But I have recently discovered I can make it quieter. Do I replace the muffler , or add a muffler silencer or have two mufflers one after the other. Or add a big car muffler. I’m handy with metal work, sheet bending and welding I don’t Care what it costs I don’t care what it looks like. I just want my thermal hunting at night to be more sneaky .....calling all rev heads for advice.....what would you do ? .......nb ..... this is not for poaching I just want to be able to see animals in my binos before they can hear me. Then partially approach on bike , then final stalk on foot
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Making my 4 wheeler quieter

Post by Tiger650 » 09 Apr 2021, 9:46 pm

Air cooled ?
If so you could look at additional fin blocks, these are basically hard plastic blocks fitted tight between cooling fins to dampen mechanical noise, used to see them on aircooled Yamaha 2 strokes and such.
Exhausts are engineering for Engineers and Juju for ordinary blokes, high frequency can be attenuated fairly easily with straight through glass pack mufflers [hot dogs] but low frequency needs the science.
Wizardry apparently involves a dead end tee off the pipe of such a length that energy pulse diverted down that branch bounces back out of phase with natural exhaust frequency, ie rebounds back into the main exhaust between exhaust gas discharge cycles.
Good theory for diesel generators and such that run at constant RPMs but NFI if it would work through the rev range of your engine.
Silicone tube [high quality engine coolant hose] will handle hot exhaust after a muffler [not straight off the exhaust port] and may deaden things.
You could try sparging water spray into the exhaust, water absorbs heat [energy] as it vapourises.
Or you could rat a muffler off a small late model car at the Wreckers and try adding that, may work miracles and may not.
I was looking at quietening a 5.5 KVA diesel genny a few years back, Exhaust Control Industries in Melbourne quoted $1300.00 odd for a super critical residential muffler, that for a 190cc Yanmar.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 10 Apr 2021, 1:20 am

turn it into a tesla lol
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 6:08 am

Yes tiger it’s air cooled. And thanks for the ideas, very technicaj info/ knowledge
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2021, 9:39 am

I think an additional sausage dog might be a good option.
Too much back pressure will likely lower performance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 10 Apr 2021, 10:46 am

:P Im tempted to say leave it switched off & push it...but that would be silly because your huffing puffing & swearing at me would probably make more noise than the bike... :P
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2021, 11:50 am

Push bike. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 2:38 pm

I have condsidered an electric bike or tricycle , I once had a pushbike on top of my Ute as I sat on the edge of a paddock thermal scanning .......normally I would just walk from there once a mob was spotted. ..the idea was if I spotted A mob in a different location ( wind direction wise) I could jump on the bike and madly pedal along the track and cover ground so much quicker with less effort. It worked once so the idea was not a complete failure ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 10 Apr 2021, 3:05 pm

My new Polaris buggy is super noisey, so i did this to try and quieten it down....
I added a baffled hot dog to it....does cut the bark down a bit but still up there with being to loud....

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 10 Apr 2021, 7:35 pm

I have given this a lot of thought over the years. In my experience, the worst culprits are 4 stroke engines, either single or twin cylinder. The obvious example is that a bike or quad is noisier than a 4wd. We have all experienced that. Without question, in my experience a nicely muffled two stroke engine is much better for hunting.

Out in the field I have seen numerous instances of a two stroke engine that I could see approaching but not hear, and yet a four stroke was easily heard. As mentioned above, it is the frequency of the sound that makes the difference. A four stroke single or twin is hard to make quiet.

I have been hunting with a mate on a YZ125, and another on an XR Honda. The difference in noise heard when you cannot see them was simply amazing. The Honda was easy to pinpoint from somewhere out of sight. The YZ could be coming right at you and yet you could not hear it.

As for the 4 stroke problem, on a twin I would be looking at the collector to try and change the phasing. Forget performance if you are more concerned with noise. If it is a single, which as a 250 is likely, then a bigger muffler will help, but it will be an uphill battle I think.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

Lots of research I think, and listening to different peoples opinions , hopefully at the end of the day I’ll b able to make a successful decision
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 5:52 pm

Come to think of it, postie bikes are pretty quiet. Four stroke I think?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Apr 2021, 5:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Come to think of it, postie bikes are pretty quiet. Four stroke I think?

Honda CT 110, :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 12 Apr 2021, 5:34 am

When I was younger, some adventurous people with very loud exhausts would get EPA noise notices.

The options were go back to stock muffler, put an additional hotdog muffler or stuff the exhaust with steel wool. All worked pretty well to bring noise back to legal levels.

Let me know if the steel wool works on your 250cc single cylinder
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by 8x57 » 12 Apr 2021, 2:59 pm

I put a silent rider on my Yamaha kodiak 450 reasonable easy to attach, seems to be working well able to lurk up a bit closer to the beasties
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Apr 2021, 8:13 pm

Weld a washer over the end
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2021, 9:03 pm

bigpete wrote:Weld a washer over the end

That will help. Worth a try but increasing back pressure will likely effect performance. How much? Who knows.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2021, 3:52 am

A new 250 street bike is pretty quiet. Has to be for them to sell them and meet epa standards. Bikes like 250 ninjas, those green ones, Kawasaki’s. I think they’re a single.
So all the kids who buy them, learner riders, take the original muffler of and put something noisier on there. Little gayass fake carbon fibre wrapped cans.
I’d be looking for the original mufflers on late model 250-500 street bikes. Gumtree perhaps. They won’t be expensive because who buys them. Factory, stock, oem muffler.
(This is going to look totally ridiculous btw and we will need photos)

That would be a dramatic improvement for a 16 year old thumper, don’t think theres much else you can do.
Possibly wrap manifold and pipe in exhaust heat wrap. Some guys with big air cooled cruisers do that to stop burning their legs because of course they ride in shorts.
I’m thinking in your area that would trap damp and cause rust pretty quickly though.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 13 Apr 2021, 4:17 am

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2021, 6:18 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:Weld a washer over the end

That will help. Worth a try but increasing back pressure will likely effect performance. How much? Who knows.

It DOES work....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2021, 1:50 pm

Big Pete do u mean fit a washer with smaller diameter than existing hole at end of my exhaust?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Apr 2021, 2:13 pm

Do not like the washer idea, excessive back pressure is never a good thing, can coke up plugs and also cause hot running.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Apr 2021, 6:48 pm

100_5460.JPG
100_5460.JPG (583.01 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
100_5462.JPG
100_5462.JPG (451.07 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
100_5461.JPG
100_5461.JPG (660.66 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
100_5460.JPG
100_5460.JPG (583.01 KiB) Viewed 4826 times
I made my own 2nd muffler as per pics,, and added it to the existing one.
It is packed from one end to the other with fine stainless steel mesh, that is folded zig zag fashion and slid/pushed into the RHS.
Being a 650 yamaha Grizzly it originally had quite a thumping sound to it,,, but now is much quieter.
Added benefit is definitely no chance of a spark to start a bushfire anymore.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2021, 7:05 pm

Dj. Steel rhs 75 by 75. 89 by 89. Or 100 by 100 ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Apr 2021, 7:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:Dj. Steel rhs 75 by 75. 89 by 89. Or 100 by 100 ?

Doesn't really matter what size Mate.
Whatever you can get hold of,,,, and find room for it to fit etc.
The bigger and longer, and number of baffles or (folds) the better.
I think by memory I squeezed about 4 or 5 meters of mesh into the RHS.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Apr 2021, 7:35 pm

Blr243 wrote:Dj. Steel rhs 75 by 75. 89 by 89. Or 100 by 100 ?

Doesn't really matter what size Mate.
Whatever you can get hold of,,,, and find room for it to fit etc.
The bigger and longer, and number of baffles or (folds) the better.
I think by memory I squeezed about 4 or 5 meters of mesh into the RHS.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Apr 2021, 8:02 pm

Mind,,,,,,,,, if you over do it with baffles etc and create too much back pressure,,, you'll soon know about it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 13 Apr 2021, 8:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:Big Pete do u mean fit a washer with smaller diameter than existing hole at end of my exhaust?

Yup
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2021, 8:22 pm

The idea is to:
Cool & slow down the exhaust

Giving it a box to expand in and forcing it to change direction helps to achieve that. Baffles force it to change direction, therefore slow down.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2021, 8:28 pm

You get the idea.

Resized_20210413_202613.jpeg
Resized_20210413_202613.jpeg (290.58 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment