Red Shield safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Red Shield safe

Post by Shootermick » 11 May 2021, 2:27 pm

Anyone got a Red Shield 16 gun safe? It’s electronic with a key over ride. If so, do you like it? I’m looking for some more storage. Or what else in a similar size and price bracket would be worth looking at?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Red Shield safe

Post by Bottleshock » 11 May 2021, 4:46 pm

I have a Red Shield 12 gun safe with the ammo box above and don't have any complaints with it. It probably gets opened everyday for one reason or another and the original batteries are still going strong after a couple of years. It was my first "modern" safe (I had earlier inherited my ex-father in law's 1960's bank style safe which is now my Cat H storage)

My favourite safe is my Lockaway ABH. I really like the way the door cams into the frame making it virtually impossible to pry open.
Bottleshock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 12 May 2021, 5:24 pm

Bottleshock wrote:I have a Red Shield 12 gun safe with the ammo box above and don't have any complaints with it. It probably gets opened everyday for one reason or another and the original batteries are still going strong after a couple of years. It was my first "modern" safe (I had earlier inherited my ex-father in law's 1960's bank style safe which is now my Cat H storage)

My favourite safe is my Lockaway ABH. I really like the way the door cams into the frame making it virtually impossible to pry open.

Do you know if the Red Shield meets cat c requirements in Vic?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 May 2021, 6:07 pm

G'day Shootermick,
There are no more stringent requirements for Cat C here than Cat A/B other than the safe must be steel and not wood. As such, the Red Shield complies with Schedule 4, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 12 May 2021, 6:29 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Shootermick,
There are no more stringent requirements for Cat C here than Cat A/B other than the safe must be steel and not wood. As such, the Red Shield complies with Schedule 4, Cheers

Thanks No1. They told me that in the gun shop today too when I looked at one. But it’s good to hear that it’s correct and not just a salesman trying to make a sale.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bottleshock » 13 May 2021, 7:04 am

Shootermick, not sure about Vic however it doesn't meet Cat C in NSW due to it not having a 6mm thick door. The NSW regs are, as usual, all over the place. An A/B safe must be a minimum of 3mm all round. A C/D safe must have a minimum of 3mm thick walls and a minimum 6mm door and a Cat H must be a minimum 6mm all round.
Bottleshock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 13 May 2021, 7:42 pm

Bottleshock wrote:Shootermick, not sure about Vic however it doesn't meet Cat C in NSW due to it not having a 6mm thick door. The NSW regs are, as usual, all over the place. An A/B safe must be a minimum of 3mm all round. A C/D safe must have a minimum of 3mm thick walls and a minimum 6mm door and a Cat H must be a minimum 6mm all round.

There’s definitely a bit of a grey area here in Vic in regards to safe requirements. I’m thinking and hoping that No1 is correct though. I’m also considering a big Spika 33 gun safe, 240 kg, 6mm door, but $2100. A hell of a lot more than I want to spend but I’m pretty sure that with it and two smaller 12 gun safes already I’d never have to buy another one. But I could buy three Red Shield 16’s for that money. It could be some real overkill.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 May 2021, 5:24 am

Shootermick wrote:Anyone got a Red Shield 16 gun safe? It’s electronic with a key over ride. If so, do you like it? I’m looking for some more storage. Or what else in a similar size and price bracket would be worth looking at?

Just so you know it will probably only comfortably hold 9 maybe 10 firearms with scopes
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 May 2021, 6:46 am

G'day Shootermick,
I don't feel that there is any grey area, Schedule 4 of the Act simply says "not easily penetrable", no mention of thickness like in other States. If you would like piece of mind download a copy of the Firearms Act 1996 (v96) from Legislation.vic.gov.au and read Schedule 4 , para 2. It is not a bad idea to have the PDF for reference anyway, always good to have the actual Law to read rather than a post on a forum. As for space, be adventurous, I can stuff 25 rifles in a 14 gun safe!!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 14 May 2021, 8:48 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Shootermick,
I don't feel that there is any grey area, Schedule 4 of the Act simply says "not easily penetrable", no mention of thickness like in other States. If you would like piece of mind download a copy of the Firearms Act 1996 (v96) from Legislation.vic.gov.au and read Schedule 4 , para 2. It is not a bad idea to have the PDF for reference anyway, always good to have the actual Law to read rather than a post on a forum. As for space, be adventurous, I can stuff 25 rifles in a 14 gun safe!!

Thanks again. I will print out a copy of the legislation to have handy, that’s a good idea.
Now I just need to decide on my needs vs my finances.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment