Compensator/Blast shield for centrefire rifle

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Compensator/Blast shield for centrefire rifle

Post by matt4350 » 09 Sep 2021, 8:36 pm

Hay guys,

I was looking into stuff that might reduce concussion or redirect a little bit of sound on a centrefire rifle. I’ve seen comps (and brakes) with a blast shield ranging from about 40 bucks on fleabay, thru a few at gun stores around the 175-300 mark. I’m not after a brake, recoil isn’t a concern, but if I could make things a little more comfortable for myself and those around me (I intend to introduce my young fella to shooting soon) I could see the value.

Is there anyone about who has used a linear comp or a blast shield? I’m looking at the Hera Arms Gen 2, Lantac BMD, PWS CQB comp and the Aussie made MANAEL shield.

I’d be very grateful if someone who has used a similar device could give me some feedback.

Cheers!
matt4350
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Compensator/Blast shield for centrefire rifle

Post by InisBineest » 09 Sep 2021, 10:03 pm

I've just put one on my 308, but yet to test if it works as i'm stuck in locked down Vic. From what i hear though, even the most basic blast jacketed muzzle break seems to do the job. Their designs all seem to be reasonably similar.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 10 Sep 2021, 5:47 am

Hi Mate
I haven't used a blast shield.
I know you are NOT looking for a break.
But, I put one on my 308 when I wanted the kids to start getting into larger calibres, it tamed the recoil and the kids, even my smallest was ok with the recoil.
Now my most petite youngster has made my 300WM hers.

Do a search on youtube if you go down he path of a break, the Terminator stuff is pretty good compared to its opposition.
Just my 2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Sep 2021, 11:23 am

If you want to redirect the noise down field and away from the shooter, then just don't use a brake.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Sep 2021, 2:18 pm

matt4350 wrote:Hay guys,

I was looking into stuff that might reduce concussion or redirect a little bit of sound on a centrefire rifle. I’ve seen comps (and brakes) with a blast shield ranging from about 40 bucks on fleabay, thru a few at gun stores around the 175-300 mark. I’m not after a brake, recoil isn’t a concern, but if I could make things a little more comfortable for myself and those around me (I intend to introduce my young fella to shooting soon) I could see the value.

Is there anyone about who has used a linear comp or a blast shield? I’m looking at the Hera Arms Gen 2, Lantac BMD, PWS CQB comp and the Aussie made MANAEL shield.

I’d be very grateful if someone who has used a similar device could give me some feedback.

Cheers!

You could try a couple of sheets of MDF placed each side of the muzzle in a V at 45-degrees forward to each side and see if the difference is sufficient. If you wanted to try this at a range you'd probably want perspex so the RO can still see what you're doing. Just need a couple inch gap for the muzzle to poke through.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matt4350 » 10 Sep 2021, 11:48 pm

Thanks for you input, everyone. I was using a brake on a .308 with 18” barrel and getting ‘the look’ so this is what led to my posting. I’ve got no experience with other devices and it got me wondering how much difference they’d make compared to a clean (no brake) barrel. I did a bit more looking on the interwebs, most of what I’ve found indicates the devices I mentioned are for SBR (assuming they deal with the issue of powder still burning on projectile exit?), so perhaps it’s a pointless exercise with a compliant rifle barrel in this country.

I’ll continue looking into linear comps and see if I can identify some advantage.

Thanks again guys.
matt4350
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Sep 2021, 8:31 am

I might be getting old but about 10 or so shots in quick concession with the 338lapua and I feel like I have been smacked in the head by Mike Tyson.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 13 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I might be getting old but about 10 or so shots in quick concession with the 338lapua and I feel like I have been smacked in the head by Mike Tyson.

And $100 poorer.
I know the feeling.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment