Bore snake vs cleaning rod

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Bore snake vs cleaning rod

Post by Lsfan » 04 Oct 2021, 8:46 am

I have yet to use a bore snake, but the impression I get is that they would be less harmful to your barrel.

Does anyone use them exclusively and are they effective with copper solvent?

Also if you apply a copper solvent, then pull the snake through, would you then need to use a different snake with cleaning oil afterwards?

My concern would be using the same snake and potentially never getting the copper solvent out properly but rather inadvertently reapplying each time you pull it through. Unlike patches were you keep swapping ad disposing.

Please let me know of your experiences with this.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bore snake vs cleaning rod

Post by MontyShooter » 04 Oct 2021, 8:51 am

I only use a bore snake on rifles that won't take a rod from the action end. Like a lever action. The snake has brass bristles so does a decent job. I just patch out from the muzzle end being careful not to tag the crown.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 04 Oct 2021, 9:00 am

All old/ long time shooters I have seen (including comp/pro) don't use bore snake
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Oct 2021, 9:07 am

cz515 wrote:All old/ long time shooters I have seen (including comp/pro) don't use bore snake

As an old time shooter, I'll Second That :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 04 Oct 2021, 9:09 am

MontyShooter wrote:I only use a bore snake on rifles that won't take a rod from the action end. Like a lever action. The snake has brass bristles so does a decent job. I just patch out from the muzzle end being careful not to tag the crown.

The other benefit I see of snakes is the cost. You can get them for $10. A rod is at least $30, plus a guide for at least $30 too.

My concern with the snakes is how to fully remove copper solvent.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 9:35 am

cz515 wrote:All old/ long time shooters I have seen (including comp/pro) don't use bore snake

As an oldbloke and a bit old school too I'll concure.
I don't even use them when I go away, just take an old fashion DIY pull through.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Oct 2021, 9:37 am

I must be the odd one out. All the old shooters I've met use a snake or similar
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 04 Oct 2021, 3:57 pm

Love bore snakes. Too easy. Game changer.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 04 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

I use either, just depends on the situation.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 4:45 pm

bigpete wrote: I must be the odd one out. All the old shooters I've met use a snake or similar

Yeess, we know. :lol: :lol: . Just joking. :)

Bore snakes have their place. But I don't think they can replace a decent cleaning kit with brushes etc. It's an old argument.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Oct 2021, 4:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote: I must be the odd one out. All the old shooters I've met use a snake or similar

Yeess, we know. :lol: :lol: . Just joking. :)

Bore snakes have their place. But I don't think they can replace a decent cleaning kit with brushes etc. It's an old argument.

Took you long enough lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm

I couldn't resist. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Oct 2021, 7:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Not to hijack and in all seriousness, I heard an opinion expressed long ago, that not all bores are concentric with the action. In a case like that, would not a bore guide lead to rifling and/or leade damage? This question and the advice of a smith has led me to persist with using a rod alone, with no guide. Is it in the interests of the OP to deal with this subject here?
As for "things on strings" that are pulled toward the muzzle, the inherent dangers of these were stressed by the gun-writers of my distant youth. Those people warned of muzzle/crown wear from the cord and that frightened me off for life. Needless to say, the risk must be greater if the rifle is not held in a vice,
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 04 Oct 2021, 8:31 pm

Some barrels can be screwed a bit crooked into the receiver. But I doubt it will affect a bore guide
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 8:36 pm

animalpest wrote:Some barrels can be screwed a bit crooked into the receiver. But I doubt it will affect a bore guide

Agree. Just manufacturers tolerances. Perhaps a few thousandth of an inch.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 04 Oct 2021, 9:04 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Not to hijack and in all seriousness, I heard an opinion expressed long ago, that not all bores are concentric with the action. In a case like that, would not a bore guide lead to rifling and/or leade damage? This question and the advice of a smith has led me to persist with using a rod alone, with no guide. Is it in the interests of the OP to deal with this subject here?
As for "things on strings" that are pulled toward the muzzle, the inherent dangers of these were stressed by the gun-writers of my distant youth. Those people warned of muzzle/crown wear from the cord and that frightened me off for life. Needless to say, the risk must be greater if the rifle is not held in a vice,

I'm only a novice but something made of nylon or whatever being pulled from the muzzle end sounds less harmful than something brass or other metal being pushed through the muzzle.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ThePlinkster » 04 Oct 2021, 9:13 pm

I'm not an expert on firearms
I'm just a recreational occasional target shooter
But I generally use cleaning rods to clean my bolt action rifles
However
For pump/lever action, I then just use a bore snake
I haven't noticed issues with either
However
Now that I think about it
I think that the bore snake would probably be less harmful
In the sense that, it's hard to imagine a peace of cloth damaging the metal barrel of your rifle
(The bore snake being made of cloth)
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2021, 9:36 pm

Yep, I agree. Many will not.

However a bore snake dragged out against the crown would eventually do damage if it is dirty due to abrasion. For example been dropped in dust/dirt/sand. And because they are typically a woven type of cord they would hold thet dirt very well.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 05 Oct 2021, 2:05 pm

A bore snake (or pull through if you like) is better than nothing, but not much better.
Many years ago I had a fall from my motorbike and the rifle I had slung over my shoulder fell muzzle first into some mud and was well and truly plugged up.
Try fixing that with a pull through.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2021, 2:44 pm

straightshooter wrote:A bore snake (or pull through if you like) is better than nothing, but not much better.
Many years ago I had a fall from my motorbike and the rifle I had slung over my shoulder fell muzzle first into some mud and was well and truly plugged up.

Thin stick then pull through. (several times) LOL

Just keep in mind, its a lump of steel, not your dick or you GF's pussy.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ThePlinkster » 05 Oct 2021, 3:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just keep in mind, its a lump of steel, not your dick or you GF's pussy.

That quote though :lol:
Words of wisdom
:thumbsup:
ThePlinkster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

Lsfan wrote:I'm only a novice but something made of nylon or whatever being pulled from the muzzle end sounds less harmful than something brass or other metal being pushed through the muzzle.

The problem is that piece of cloth has just been pulled through a bore full of carbon and other crud so you've basically turned it into emery cloth.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 05 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

Ok they way we should look at this is its your gun do what you will.
I find both have a place and time and all the rest is just an opinion some not base in fact some just sprouting what they have read and agree with some going of what the gun shops wish to sell you at the time get a few of each and try for your self see what works for you .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 05 Oct 2021, 7:22 pm

All valid points. I suppose if my gun fell in the mud then yes I would have to consider something else but typically I only have it for range use.

So far I have made the effort to get a rod and bore guide for each rifle and so I thought I'd try something different.

I can see bladeracers point about pulling carbon and crud through, but the same could be said about a patch. Yes you swap patches and use several of them when cleaning but the the surface area of a snake must be hundreds X a patch. Just my thoughts.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 05 Oct 2021, 9:03 pm

this old argument, there was some guys did some actual testing of the boresnake wearing out the barrel nonsense, they set out to prove it does it, and they proved otherwise, if I wasnt about to go on a 5hr drive I would scour google for it for reference, the biggest danger I can see with a boresnake is using a worn out old perished one and lodging it in the barrel, aside from that I use them and not once have they damaged my rifles.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 05 Oct 2021, 9:05 pm

Lsfan wrote:All valid points. I suppose if my gun fell in the mud then yes I would have to consider something else but typically I only have it for range use.

So far I have made the effort to get a rod and bore guide for each rifle and so I thought I'd try something different.

I can see bladeracers point about pulling carbon and crud through, but the same could be said about a patch. Yes you swap patches and use several of them when cleaning but the the surface area of a snake must be hundreds X a patch. Just my thoughts.

carbon schmarbon, its getting rammed through at 2000+fps on most rifles every time you fire it. if it was going to cut the rifling or corona of the crown it would do it then as well as when cleaning.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2021, 12:26 am

ZaineB wrote:
Lsfan wrote:All valid points. I suppose if my gun fell in the mud then yes I would have to consider something else but typically I only have it for range use.

carbon schmarbon, its getting rammed through at 2000+fps on most rifles every time you fire it. if it was going to cut the rifling or corona of the crown it would do it then as well as when cleaning.

I've said same many times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 06 Oct 2021, 8:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:
straightshooter wrote:A bore snake (or pull through if you like) is better than nothing, but not much better.

Thin stick then pull through. (several times) LOL

Just keep in mind, its a lump of steel, not your dick or you GF's pussy.

Oldbloke
Your comment has me scratching my head.
In a situation as I described what are the prospects of finding a thin twig to fit in a 22 caliber bore, reasonably straight and perhaps 30" long that would withstand the force required to remove such a plug?
The object, of course, being the removal of the obstruction from the barrel.
Unless your intent was to poke the plug deeper into the barrel but I am unable to fathom how that would remedy the situation and allow the use of a pull through.
I think a not overly well considered comment which is something of a departure from your usual standard of commentary.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2021, 1:19 pm

Straight shooter. My thought was that most likely a plug of mud would only be at most 2" or 3" deep.
Obviously if it's say 6" a stick would not work for a rifle. But perhaps for a 12g.

Edit: if you had a 3k or 4k rifle you might think differently also.

Edit: I've been hunting on and off 45 years. Never had a plug of crap in 12g or rifle. IMO it's just a compromise or risk you take. Pack pull through or rod, which to take? Mmmmm
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 06 Oct 2021, 1:28 pm

Used a bit of old fencing wire to tap out a stuck case once when miles away from my vehicle. Didn't affect the rifle
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment