What solvent ???

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

What solvent ???

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2021, 7:56 pm

I have a ? brass/bronze bristle 30 cal brush and, it has "blue" copper crystal/powder showing over most of it.
Residue from Sweets 7.62

I try to wash it after every use with boiling water,,, but soons it dries ,,,,,, its back again.
I've tried soaking and rinsing it in Metho,,,,,,, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions how to clean it properly ?
I'm not a chemist
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: What solvent ???

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 8:14 pm

You wash it after using with copper solvent, is that what you mean?

A weak acid will likely remove like vinegar. Just leave it in for a few minutes so you aren't eating away the brass.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Oct 2021, 9:26 pm

disco stu wrote:You wash it after using with copper solvent, is that what you mean?

A weak acid will likely remove like vinegar. Just leave it in for a few minutes so you aren't eating away the brass.

Thanks Mate, I'll give that a try.
I thought there should be a simple answer, but had no idea myself.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 10 Oct 2021, 9:34 pm

I say that all from chemistry perspective. Your WAY more experienced than I am with cleaning rifles
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 11 Oct 2021, 6:32 am

Not a good idea to use a bronze brush with Sweets Solvent especially if it is bronze bristles with an iron core.
That is true to a lesser or greater extent with solvents whose main active ingredient is Ammonium Hydroxide.
The best results with Sweets can be had by using a Nylon brush and repeated agitation, ie; many strokes backwards and forwards with a well wetted Nylon brush.
If you use a patch instead of a brush the results aren't quite as good if there is any more than very light fouling.
So it seems from my experience.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Oct 2021, 11:38 am

Yeh, I also use a nylon brush with Sweets.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 11 Oct 2021, 12:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I have a ? brass/bronze bristle 30 cal brush and, it has "blue" copper crystal/powder showing over most of it.
Residue from Sweets 7.62

I try to wash it after every use with boiling water,,, but soons it dries ,,,,,, its back again.
I've tried soaking and rinsing it in Metho,,,,,,, but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions how to clean it properly ?
I'm not a chemist

Hot water and it clean. The reaction of the ammonia on the copper/brass is always going to happen. It won't affect the mechanical process of cleaning the barrel but obviously will consume some of the chemical required to dissolve the copper in the barrel.

If it annoys you I'd recommend getting a stiff nylon brush with an aluminium base. Stopped using Sweets and moved to KG12. Its less offensive on they eyes and chest and a far better copper cleaner.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2021, 2:42 pm

straightshooter wrote:Not a good idea to use a bronze brush with Sweets Solvent especially if it is bronze bristles with an iron core.
That is true to a lesser or greater extent with solvents whose main active ingredient is Ammonium Hydroxide.
The best results with Sweets can be had by using a Nylon brush and repeated agitation, ie; many strokes backwards and forwards with a well wetted Nylon brush.
If you use a patch instead of a brush the results aren't quite as good if there is any more than very light fouling.
So it seems from my experience.

Yeah thanks Mate ,,,,, for some reason I never even thought about getting a nylon bristled one.

But,,,, taking you at your word,,, "many strokes backwards and forwards" eh ?
I'll have to make sure I don't clean my rifles at night time when I might cast a shadow through the curtains. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

mchughcb wrote: Stopped using Sweets and moved to KG12. Its less offensive on they eyes and chest and a far better copper cleaner.

That eats certain stuff too doesn't it ?
I seem to remember reading some situation where it's not advisable.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Oct 2021, 5:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yeh, I also use a nylon brush with Sweets.

same here :thumbsup:

i still use some bronze brushes , i just give them a swirl on the end of a short brass cleaning rod in a bottle of metho . the metho goes a nice blue colour after a while and the bronze brushes stay clean . it's interesting to see how much blue powder has built up in that jar after a few years :P

better that than in my barrel :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Oct 2021, 8:04 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
mchughcb wrote: Stopped using Sweets and moved to KG12. Its less offensive on they eyes and chest and a far better copper cleaner.

I haven't had any problems but I'm pretty careful with what I use. I also used to avoid dropping sweets anywhere except in the barrel.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 12 Oct 2021, 6:24 am

Die Judicii wrote:.......
But,,,, taking you at your word,,, "many strokes backwards and forwards" eh ?
I'll have to make sure I don't clean my rifles at night time when I might cast a shadow through the curtains. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What an observer lurking outside your window thinks they are seeing is entirely their own business.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 18 Oct 2021, 9:14 am

Die Judicii wrote:

I cleaned a few 30 cals this weekend. KG1, followed by a nylon brush and KG12. Then finally with some JB borepaste. I've got a hawkeye borescope and the carbon and copper was out and the barrel was back to clean steely metal finish. I have used sweets for many decades but its not even close to KG12.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2021, 11:50 am

McHughCB,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for that, next time I'm needing cleaning stuff I'll give it a go.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 18 Oct 2021, 12:38 pm

Did you end up getting the brush clean?
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm

disco stu wrote:Did you end up getting the brush clean?

Sort of,,, I soaked it in Metho again,, and this time I can only see faint traces of blue in the spiral.
But before I try the vinegar I might try an old worn out bronze bristle brush,,, in case it does eat it.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Oct 2021, 4:43 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
disco stu wrote:Did you end up getting the brush clean?

Sort of,,, I soaked it in Metho again,, and this time I can only see faint traces of blue in the spiral.
But before I try the vinegar I might try an old worn out bronze bristle brush,,, in case it does eat it.
Cheers, :thumbsup:

it will ne no different to putting a penny in vinegar for a few hours.

I have just used hot soapy water. But that was while it was "fresh". Nylon brushes now.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 18 Oct 2021, 5:43 pm

Don't use a bronze brush with sweets. Not needed.
Sweets is big on copper but not so much on powder.
Use whatever to get rid of the powder with your brush if you want.
Just use a patch for the sweets then dry patch then oil.
Personally rarely use a brush anymore.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 18 Oct 2021, 7:07 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Don't use a bronze brush with sweets. Not needed.

I used to do that when I was shooting fullbore. However since then I have spent many hours with a professional gunsmith who used to use sweets before he changed to KG12. The secret with sweets is to work it with the nylon brush until it starts aerating. You will see what I mean when it works up to a lather, that's when the copper is getting dissolved. This guy would check every barrel before he started with a hawkeye borescope and would let me look and I'd watch him turn a black, then copper the clean steel barrel through each part of the process.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 18 Oct 2021, 7:45 pm

mchughcb wrote:
LawrenceA wrote:Don't use a bronze brush with sweets. Not needed.

I used to do that when I was shooting fullbore. However since then I have spent many hours with a professional gunsmith who used to use sweets before he changed to KG12. The secret with sweets is to work it with the nylon brush until it starts aerating. You will see what I mean when it works up to a lather, that's when the copper is getting dissolved. This guy would check every barrel before he started with a hawkeye borescope and would let me look and I'd watch him turn a black, then copper the clean steel barrel through each part of the process.

Yeah that could work better. It does work to a lather with a brush.
Dunno.

I do know that I only get a really blue patch from my 7mm mag and then only 1.
After that no real copper at all.
Also dont leave sweets sit too long. A few minutes is really enough
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 18 Oct 2021, 8:42 pm

Die Judicii wrote:McHughCB,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for that, next time I'm needing cleaning stuff I'll give it a go.

I made this real time video a while ago to show if you put enough, even without using a brush it would dissolve the copper before your eyes. Sometimes I just make a coffee, come back and its all done, no scrubbing required, although if you use a bit less with tough nylon brush it will scratch the top of the copper, expose more fresh copper and work faster if you can be bothered scrubing.

https://youtu.be/soFJxb4zJ78
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment