Rifle mounted torch

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Rifle mounted torch

Post by InisBineest » 13 Oct 2021, 7:31 pm

Can anyone recommend a good (non Olight*) rifle mounted torch that is under 300g, and has a decent throw out to 100-250m and a runtime of 1.5-3 hours?
I'm also not after massive peak brightness. I had the Javalot Pro with a nice 2100 lumens, but i never used it at that level. I stuck to Level 2 at 600 lumens and it was more than sufficient. (it was a little heavy and chunky on the rifle though, hence i sold it... may have been a mistake but we'll see)

*Nothing against olight, i'm a big fan of theirs and looking at the Warrior x Turbo and the Odin Turbo atm, but i'm familiar with olight torches, not so much other brands:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rifle mounted torch

Post by deye243 » 13 Oct 2021, 8:11 pm

Convoy c8 it will do what you need easily you can get them off eBay or AliExpress about $35 a pop I have six of them one in particular has been used every night for up to 8 hours for the last 4 years and still just as good as the day I bought it 18 650 is the power
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 13 Oct 2021, 10:30 pm

Nice, I see they have reasonbly priced remote switches as well... cheers for the tip!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 13 Oct 2021, 11:03 pm

I have the acebeam w 30. Comes with red filter. Still super powerful when filtered. More punch than Anything else I have ever seen. Don’t know the weight. $420 is the sad part of this little tale
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 Oct 2021, 7:11 am

I like the one deye243 recommends ! Wonder if it comes with a red led version?
One thing I'd recommend over anything else is make sure its not too big and heavy.....like mine..... :(
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 14 Oct 2021, 12:56 pm

bigpete wrote:I like the one deye243 recommends ! Wonder if it comes with a red led version?
One thing I'd recommend over anything else is make sure its not too big and heavy.....like mine..... :(

There is a Version where the host looks identical I'm not sure of the LED if it's an L2 or not but it also comes in green and red these are not convoy products so not sure of the quality , convoy makes exceptionally good value stuff been using it for more than 6 years virtually indestructible never had a problem with the LEDs either.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Flashli ... 56-20017-0
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 16 Oct 2021, 7:26 am

I bought a Z Visions JP 303 from Foxdog Outfitters here in Australia. I was looking for something with multiple colours, focusable beam and intensity control. They sell a quick detach windage and elevation adjustable scope mount that mounts via a scope ring/pic rail adapter.
This thing is great! the red LED is awesome. They have smaller models if weight and size are higher priority for you.
I highly recommend it!!

https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zvison-1
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by InisBineest » 16 Oct 2021, 8:14 am

I like the look of the Acebeam w10 but it is a bit out of my budget. It's a step down but I think I'm going to grab a second hand Odin Turbo to mount and save for a hand held spotter seperatlely. Keep the weight of the rifle itself down so I don't have to spot with the muzzle pointed anywhere I don't want it to be.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 16 Oct 2021, 7:11 pm

If out alone walking at night i use my led lenser headlight to shoot out to about 100m, see the animal then move the light about 20 degrees to the left on your forehead for a right hand shooter this puts the beam right on line for when your eye comes down to the scope, shot heaps of rabbits and foxes like this , i use the red filter find this very effective out to about 80m
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by stihl88 » 04 Apr 2024, 7:09 pm

Just mounted this Z-Bolt Blazer LEP (laser driven) torch to my latest build, while only 650 lumens it's candela is off the charts at 315k when compared to equivalent high powered WMT's at about 50k candela, , runtime is about 130mins on a single 18650 battery.

It will reach out to a kilometer with minimal spread but if it's spread you're after then the you'll want to pair it with the additional quick flip diffuser cap. I chose the 40° diffuser which is perfect for lighting the place up at close range giving tremendous spread...
Z-Bolt Blazer 1.jpg
Z-Bolt Blazer 1.jpg (356.34 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Z-Bolt Blazer 3.jpg
Z-Bolt Blazer 3.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 153 times

It's mounted to a Bobro engineering QD mount which not only enables quickly release from the firearm to carry in person but will also allow you to adjust and lock it in as close to the frame as possible.

It's riding the 18350 cell body at the moment but is quickly interchangeable with it's 18650 body for greater runtime (approx 130 minutes).

The tailcap has been fitted with the Surefire dual function switch as i run the WML with dual (override) switch for rapid full power WMT + WML deployment.

Also, running Nods i can quickly change out the head for the IR torch for lighting the place up in complete darkness.

This thing's a beast and will roast your eyeballs if you're not careful! :crazy:
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 05 Apr 2024, 6:27 am

Over the years, I've been through a number of hunting lights, and have wavered between mounted and freehand ones.
One thing I know, is that you can NEVER have too many decent torches in the car when out at night...
We had a Lightforce 30w handheld rechargeable spotlight for some years; not a huge amount of light from the 30w bulb, but surprising how far it would reach.
For some years, I often used a LED-Lenser P17 torch, which only had a 200 lumen output, but had some option for focussing, and that was adequate for 50-75 metres most times.

I currently have a couple of Rail-Mount lights that run the 18650 batteries; One is some sort of Wolf-Eyes model which doesnt seem to be made any more, and one Hard-Korr model (KT-6).
Both have a barrel around the 25mm dia, and maybe 7-9 inches in total length(KT-6 is about 7 inches total).
Both have a Picatinny mount QD-style ring clamped to the barrel of the torch, so they can be mounted/removed in a few seconds.
Both are around 1000 lumens, which gives an hour or two run-time, though I note both get quite warm if running for longer than about 15-20 minutes.
Both have around a 44mm/1.5" diameter on the reflector, which likely reduces how far they can throw the beam, but makes them compact to fit neatly against the forestock/barrel.
Both mount to my rifles much the same as the setup stihl88 shows, though I really like that mount setup he's got.
The Wolf-Eyes has a tail-cap that allows for a remote switch, wheras the KT-6 simply has a button at the rear of the body.
I rarely use a remote switch when shooting; for my situation, it usually isnt much help.

So, for my type of shooting, having a torch mounted to the stock works okay most of the time, and the rifle/torch remains reasonable compact.
If I was doing more night shooting from a rest, I might either look at a separate spotlight, or possibly a scope-mounted torch(though last one isnt my preference).

I like that Z-Bolt Blazer setup that stihl88 shows; it would be a neater setup mounting than the rings I use on mine to get the same result.
I havent seen many torches that have mounting holes tapped and ready to go like that Z-Light..

My preference is for a light that doesnt mount to the scope, as I find the whole assembly too bulky/cumbersome for walking around.
My Ruger 10/22 has a rail mounted on each side of the front of the stock, and I find that great for night walk-arounds for pokking the odd bunny/cat/toad/etc.
My CTR .223 also has a little short section of rail that replaces the front QD mount(Vanguard??), so I can either mount a bipod or a light.

I hope this helps.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 05 Apr 2024, 7:27 am

I have several Zeus models, can't beat them for the price.

https://www.zeusindustrial.com/Zeus%20Q5%20Tactical.htm
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment