1.3 ton safe need to be bolted down NSW ?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

1.3 ton safe need to be bolted down NSW ?

Post by OnTheBus » 19 Oct 2021, 6:54 pm

Hi all,

I am in NSW and have acquired my A B and H licenses.
I own zero firearms at the moment.
I have been given a beautiful M.G Dyke and sons double door ex-bank safe
It is rated for category A,B,C,D and H

The external plate steel on the outside of either door is 10mm thick.

Behind the plate, steel is a mechanical re-locker in both leaves of the door.

The locking mechanism is a Ross 8 lever security lock.

The backing plate for the lock is 6mm thick hardened steel.

The floor, roof and walls of the safe are 10mm thick steel with a composite concrete core.

It weighs 1270kgs.

Fire rating of 120 minutes @ 700C

It has a Cash Insurance Rating (CIR) of $45,000.

It is sitting on a concrete floor backed against a brick wall.
I want to store both rifles and handguns in this safe as half the safe is shelved. Are we allowed to store both firearm types together?
Also the safe has no bolt holes, would the fact it is 1.3 ton negate the need for bolting down?
A thief would need a crane to budge it.
Thankyou.
OnTheBus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 1.3 ton safe need to be bolted down NSW ?

Post by Apollo » 19 Oct 2021, 7:09 pm

Why don't you ring FAR or your local Licencing Inspector.

It would seem it by far exceeds all requirements, yet alone how are you going to put that in your spare room against the wall.

I'd hate to try and open it if you forgot the combination.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Oct 2021, 7:38 pm

Better idea would be to ask the firearms compliance section to come inspect your storage facility,,,, and ask them to show you how to bolt it down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you'll pardon the pun,,,,, I'd say that is a good "pick up". Your very lucky.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 19 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm

Be Aware...On The Bus...!!

First two posts, one a 1.5 Ton then a 1.3 Ton Safe.. Same question.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Oct 2021, 8:58 pm

G'day OnTheBus, your regs up there are the same as ours, 150Kg and under when empty needs to be fixed, but over that, no.

Edit: 10 000 apologies, didn't notice the Cat H part of your query!!! A & B, 150kg OK, but Cat H must be bolted. for my money I would loctite a bolt head inside the safe and tell the copper to try and move it to prove it was bolted! (facetious, that.Would actually have a bolt or 2)
Last edited by No1Mk3 on 19 Oct 2021, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 19 Oct 2021, 8:59 pm

Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 19 Oct 2021, 9:10 pm

The final answer should be to send NSW FAR an email and get a reply you can print and hold. Just to clarify the Cat H Requirement...

Maybe it could be exempt for that size/weight safe...

Best to ask those that know...not a forum.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Oct 2021, 11:39 pm

My safe weighs 240kg and because it has Pistols in it the regs say bolt it down.
I dont think there is an upper limit to the requirement best to ring your local police ask to speak to the firearms officer they will be the ones who will inspect it. dont be surprised if they tell you you have to bolt it in .
How long have you had your A/B that normally takes 2-3 months then H normally takes anything up to 13-15- months and you never bought a Rifle in 11-12 months sounds strange you must have your reasons.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 20 Oct 2021, 6:34 am

I would definitely screw it down with a few tek screws. Someone could easily take a few roof sheets off, smash a hole in the ceiling and use the crane they hired to lift it out and load it onto the flat bed truck waiting round the corner.
:)
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2021, 8:22 am

I think my second safe is a six rifle model cheapy from Bunnings. I had trouble transporting and moving that into position
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 20 Oct 2021, 10:44 am

How would you get it inside a house is the first question. It would be more easier to build a house around the safe than move the safe into the house. Ok that was a joke cuz you said its already there.

But here is a question. Are the hings outside or inside, that could be the first reason it fails.

After that everything else would be funny and peace of cake.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Oct 2021, 3:00 pm

Glue 4 fake bolt heads to the floor of your safe . An inspector is not going to bring a D9 Dozer into your home to test It’s ridgity.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 20 Oct 2021, 11:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:Glue 4 fake bolt heads to the floor of your safe . An inspector is not going to bring a D9 Dozer into your home to test It’s ridgity.

Yep, that. Make sure they're all right in the bloody corners so you can't get a spanner on them.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by No1_49er » 21 Oct 2021, 6:03 am

boingk wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Glue 4 fake bolt heads to the floor of your safe . An inspector is not going to bring a D9 Dozer into your home to test It’s ridgity.

Yep, that. Make sure they're all right in the bloody corners so you can't get a spanner on them.

"boingk", this might be a silly question, but if the person doing the inspection can't get a spanner on it, "how the f^ck were they put there in the first place?"
As a point of interest, the hinges on my "safe storage" containers (all of them) are external. But, if the doors are closed and the hinges were cut off, it is still impossible to open the door.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2021, 5:45 pm

No1_49er wrote:As a point of interest, the hinges on my "safe storage" containers (all of them) are external. But, if the doors are closed and the hinges were cut off, it is still impossible to open the door.

This is a simple point that seems to evade a lot of people. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 24 Oct 2021, 4:44 pm

Mine is flush on the front no Hinge showing
I had to wait till I saw a mate 1 off His safes is 8 ton door is near on 10 inch thick its out of some bank in Sydney ITS fing huge Its in a purpose built building on his block young copper came to do inspection of his collection and told him realy I could fail this safe it has no dyna bolts in it he just asked for his boss to come out all sorted
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 25 Oct 2021, 7:53 am

The law allows for a commissioner exemption. QLD had a process for applying for A commissioners exemption so I imagine NSW will be the same.

Get your evidence together and submit your case on how you meet or exceed the minimum requirements.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment