Light for picatinny rail

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Light for picatinny rail

Post by Pitdog85 » 05 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

hi guys can anyone help me with the maze of options out there for rifle lights. All the websites i find overwhelming and none seem to have what im looking for. I would like a light that attaches to the front picatinny rail where my bipod would normally attach with the same quick release option like my atlas bipod has. Does such a light exist?

I dont need a light that will shine 600 metres it will mostly be used on my rimfire but i absolutely do not want chinese junk and am happy to pay for decent quality. Looking for something that is not huge and heavy that will weigh the rifle down either. Basically looking for a high quality slim light with quick release that attaches to picatinny rail with run time being more important than the ability to shine out to 1000metres.

thanks
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Light for picatinny rail

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2021, 12:21 pm

Pitdog85 wrote:hi guys can anyone help me with the maze of options out there for rifle lights. All the websites i find overwhelming and none seem to have what im looking for. I would like a light that attaches to the front picatinny rail where my bipod would normally attach with the same quick release option like my atlas bipod has. Does such a light exist?

I dont need a light that will shine 600 metres it will mostly be used on my rimfire but i absolutely do not want chinese junk and am happy to pay for decent quality. Looking for something that is not huge and heavy that will weigh the rifle down either. Basically looking for a high quality slim light with quick release that attaches to picatinny rail with run time being more important than the ability to shine out to 1000metres.

thanks

No idea about specific lights, but I use QD mounts for lights and lasers, both of which are available in the common scope tube diameters. If you're using a light with an odd shape or size I would just buy some QD rings and modify one to fit your light. They come in a variety of heights and designs and are not expensive.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/381964448147

As for run time, spare batteries makes it irrelevant. Grab a dozen 18650's or whatever you run and take a few with you. They don't last forever so it always worth having spares.

Even decent quality stuff often comes out of the same factories in China...you just pay a lot more for a label saying "hihg qatilty produc" :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 05 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

I'm not ashamed to say I'm an Olight fan. Might be worth having a look at some of their weapon mounted lights, (Odin line) or even something like the M2R and buy a cheap qd mount for it
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 05 Nov 2021, 11:55 pm

Here in the USA a lot of the pros in the tactical geardo world use Surefire lights. Surefire is more expensive but I have a light from them that is now 7 years old and still trucking along, very durable. I think a lot of US agencies and military use Surefire lights.

The other brand of weapon light is Streamlight, which I understand a lot of cops use and it's very popular and well regarded with people out there. I have not got one yet but maybe I will for evaluation. Their TLR-1 is probably one of the most popular weapon lights out there.

Both of these brands are oriented to the tactical geardo crowd so are equipped with quick detach levers, etc.

I have two Olight weapon lights. Olight has been very aggressive with their marketing and product releases. I got the rechargeable ones and the thing I found is they will discharge over time if left for months, so I have to make sure they stay charged up. They seem pretty solid construction and all. When I shot with them I didn't see any failures. Personally I think Surefire has a better beam than Olight.

If price was no object I'd probably go Surefire.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 06 Nov 2021, 2:05 am

deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 08 Nov 2021, 8:34 pm

Z visions JP 303 from foxdog outfitters. It's awesome. great mounting system too.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Nov 2021, 3:03 am

MtnMan wrote:Z visions JP 303 from foxdog outfitters. It's awesome. great mounting system too.

They look the goods. Even the cheapest rim fire version has everything you need. Including remote switch and battery charger. Neat unit. https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zvison-1

Pitdog, you dont want to mount it on the forend rail because of the angle of the beam relative to barrel.
There’s a mount on that site that can adjust windage and elevation for the light beam, you can find them cheaper on eBay.
Mounted of the scope is probably the best way. Or if you have a rail on the top you can get offset mounts.
Getting it in a case or bag presents problems. And it takes up a fair bit of real estate in your safe.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 09 Nov 2021, 2:01 pm

cheers for the heads up on that foxdog gear that looks pretty good??

Mate can you elborate on the light under the rail not working well is this because their is then not enough light to see through the scope due to the light not being in line with the scope/barrel? I have never used a rifle mounted light only ever shot at day time. I was kinda reluctant to mount a light to my expensive scopes didnt want to damage the scope tube at all.
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by womble » 09 Nov 2021, 4:03 pm

I guess it depends on the rifle stock, but typically they’d taper up towards the end where i assume the rail is for the bipod.
For a flood light that would be ok, but if you were to zoom out to a distance the beam might not align with the barrel enough to centre on your cross hairs through the scope.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm

womble wrote:I guess it depends on the rifle stock, but typically they’d taper up towards the end where i assume the rail is for the bipod.
For a flood light that would be ok, but if you were to zoom out to a distance the beam might not align with the barrel enough to centre on your cross hairs through the scope.

Use an adjustable torch mount in that case.
https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zviso ... orch-mount
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 10 Nov 2021, 6:13 am

Lightforce pred 9x will go straight on a pic rail....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pitdog85 » 10 Nov 2021, 6:41 am

Damn you guys are on the ball. That light force light looks great too!!! Anyone care to comment on the quality of all these lights/brands are there any that are considered the staple among night shooters?

Edit looked up some of the reviews for that lightforce light gunna give that one a miss.
Pitdog85
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by womble » 11 Nov 2021, 3:45 am

brinny wrote:Lightforce pred 9x will go straight on a pic rail....

I dont think you can get them anymore. Might be a hard to find item.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment