muzzlebrakes for tikka t3x hunter

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

muzzlebrakes for tikka t3x hunter

Post by mickb » 11 Dec 2021, 10:15 pm

A friend of mine is chasing a muzzle brake for a tikka hunter in 270win Are there any good aftermarket or custom maker options out there? He would be happy with clamp types or adaptors or threading the barrel, whatever works these days. I am a bit out of the loop with brakes these days.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: muzzlebrakes for tikka t3x hunter

Post by deye243 » 11 Dec 2021, 11:59 pm

On a 270 Winchester he might need earplugs as well as he muffs I'd say it's going to be noisy
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2021, 6:20 am

why exactly does your friend want a muzzle brake for a 270 ? if it's recoil , i believe limbsaver do a pre-fitted bolt on pad for tikka t3's . muzzle brakes aren't pleasant for those around the shooter :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bello » 12 Dec 2021, 8:23 am

Hi Mate
I have used 2 types of muzzle breaks
1. The Terminator 3 muzzle break which has side ports.
2. The Grizzly radial muzzle break.

The Terminator muzzle break
PROS: This is my opinion:
reduces the recoil better than the grizzly break.
It vents the gasses to the sides of the rifle.
Is a screw on break

CONS: On some rifles it may be wider then the barrel (This may aesthetically bother some people)

The Grizzly muzzle break
PROS: Reduces recoil

CONS:
Muzzle breaks Increase noise, VERY noticeably to the shooter and any one beside them.

I find the Terminator break was better in my situations, it vented to the sides, so if I was in the prone position (Lying on the ground) taking a shot, it didn't kick up as much dust and I could keep an eye on my target/prey.
The Grizzly break is radial, so if in the prone position, it kicks up a lot more dust/sand.

A muzzle break may also alter the point of impact of a projectile, so if you fit one, you may have to sight in your rifle again.
With my higher caliber, big kicking rifles, I find that at the range, I can take more shot without getting knocked around by recoil as much. Make larger rifles more manageable.
I also found it a useful tool when teaching my kids about firearms, they weren't scared of the larger calibers.

As a side note, in my hunting situations, I find they are good BUT, when hunting, I only ever take one shot before everything runs off, so I make
my first shot count, and I find I don't notice the recoil.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 12 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm

Thanks, I will take a look. I have used brakes on 375H&H and 460 wby( as in the old factory standard pendleton dekicker which was almost useless) but that was 20 years ago and have never been up to date on brakes for smaller calibres. I think the tikka hunters in 270 only have 16mm muzzle outer diameter too. I will check into those brands, may even flick an email to Alan swan or another gunsmith to get an opinion.

Regards the other comments as to why use a brake, I thought only US forums answered questions with questions lol. I was actually expecting someone to say if you cant handle the recoil of a 270, why not get a 243. Ill just tell the guy to use a bow and arrow and do away with kick and noise altogether. :roll: ;) :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 12 Dec 2021, 4:28 pm

mickb wrote:Thanks, I will take a look. I have used brakes on 375H&H and 460 wby( as in the old factory standard pendleton dekicker which was almost useless) but that was 20 years ago and have never been up to date on brakes for smaller calibres. I think the tikka hunters in 270 only have 16mm muzzle outer diameter too. I will check into those brands, may even flick an email to Alan swan or another gunsmith to get an opinion.

Regards the other comments as to why use a brake, I thought only US forums answered questions with questions lol. I was actually expecting someone to say if you cant handle the recoil of a 270, why not get a 243. Ill just tell the guy to use a bow and arrow and do away with kick and noise altogether. :roll: ;) :lol:

Compound bow hurts my shoulders more than the Mosin Nagant :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by olly_2001 » 18 Mar 2022, 6:10 am

Check Waters Rifleman. Has a good selection of brakes and very helpful
Brno 22, Anschutz 22WMR, Tikka 223 Rem / 243W, Sako 300 WSM, Montana ASR 300WSM,
Barnard 223 Rem / 284W 7mm F-Class
olly_2001
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment