Electronic Ear Plugs

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Electronic Ear Plugs

Post by Macross » 13 Dec 2021, 8:44 am

I'm looking for some recommendations for decent electronic ear plugs. I have electronic muffs, and I find I am taking them off every opportunity I get due to them being uncomfortable after several hours.

I've seen a few different options, from $160'ish all the way up to $$$$. Wondered if anyone could recommend brands or models to check out. Would be willing to pay a bit more for some that actually work. Plenty of reviews on some models that sound like expensive garbage.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Electronic Ear Plugs

Post by No1_49er » 13 Dec 2021, 10:01 am

https://goaxil.com
Superb.
They don't get in the way when range shooting, and they're excellent in the bush as well.
I wouldn't use anything else now.

If I remember correctly, got mine from XHunter in Melbourne.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 13 Dec 2021, 10:25 am

I recall reading about some ear plugs that were "mechanical" (for want of a better term) rather than electronic. Came with a plug you put in if you know it will be noisy to reduce noise further.

So if you're out hunting you leave the plugs out. If you take a shot of will reduce noise by x amount. If at the range you put the plugs in and it will reduce noise by double the amount.

Meant to work by the higher pressure of the loud noises being blocked but still let quieter noises through like talking. Can't remember the name of them, but thought I would mention in case it was of interest
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Dec 2021, 10:28 am

I bought a set,,,,,, "Hearing Guard / Sound Gear"
Paid $492.00
They work pretty good, but don't have enough protection for continuous shooting.
That was acceptable for me because my hunting sometimes only involves one or two shots in an entire night.

Be very aware of the following though.

I don't use them any more because they are so tiny and fiddly,,, that if I dropped a plug itself or a battery in the dark while changing or fitting
them,,,,, I'd never find it again. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by geoff » 13 Dec 2021, 10:54 am

I have a set of CENS DX-5 which i got from Protec Hearing just under two years ago. They are the bees knees and I am a total convert, despite the price of circa $1200.

Depending on what you do for work, you might be able to get crafty and write them off as a tax deduction for PPE? If you wear ear pro at work you probably can. Speak to your accountant.

They are comfortable - I can wear them all day. I like the volume adjustability and I find they actually adjust down far enough for my liking, something I didnt like about the average electronic muffs. No interference with gun stocks.

The only downside is the battery life to be honest. I am regularly replacing the batteries in them, more often than I believe I should. They have been looked at by CENS and apparently they are fine, so it turns out they are battery hungry. I'll get a whole day shooting out of them, but if i only shoot for an hour or two, I take the battery out as its still basically brand new right, then put those same batteries in a week later and they'll be "dead". So theyre a "one session" battery regardless of how long the session is. I suspect this might be more closely related to the brand of batteries. But they're cheap anyway so i'm not really fussed about it.

Can't reccommend the CENS DX-5 enough.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 13 Dec 2021, 2:25 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 4:28 pm

pomemax wrote:CENS ProFlex DX5
cant beat them
https://www.earmold.com.au/cens-digital ... ns-dx5.htm

I don't think I could ever throw $1300 at something so easy to lose. If I were only going to use them at a range perhaps, but on the farm I'd lose one the first time I took them out.
Do they have a lanyard option?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 13 Dec 2021, 6:03 pm

Yep they do and I lost my first set with the lanyard as well
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2021, 6:59 pm

pomemax wrote:Yep they do and I lost my first set with the lanyard as well

That sounds like me :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 14 Dec 2021, 9:43 am

https://pacificears.com.au/product/etym ... pro-elite/

Etymotic also make the same products as the OTTO brand used by military overseas. The model with replaceable batteries is about $400+ and is not waterproof. The recharger case for the more expensive model does a lot of recharges before it needs to be topped up. Generic foam tips are available in various sizes for about $6 a pair.

Plenty of Youtube reviews for OTTO, etc.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 23 Dec 2021, 8:51 am

Hi Mate
I use the Peltor electronic earmuffs around the house when my wife is around...lol
No seriously, I use the Peltor electronic earmuffs when shooting and at the range. Good protection and can hear people talking.
I got mine through a place called "Absafe", they are on line. They currently have a special on shooting ear muffs.
You can reach them on 1300 ABSAFE (1300 227 233) or sales@absafe.com.au
This is the email I got
Hope it helps
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 23 Dec 2021, 8:53 am

I found this in my email in box
Hope it helps
3M PELTOR PROTAC SHOOTER HEADSET $185.90
he 3M PELTOR ProTac Shooter Headset is designed for use whilst sport shooting. It helps protect against harmful impact noise, whilst allowing ambient sounds to be heard at a level below 82dB. It increases your ability to communicate with others nearby, as well as increase your ability to hear lower audio sounds.
Level-dependent function for ambient listening helps to protect against harmful impact noise, while allowing ambient sounds to be heard at a level below 82 dB
Attenuating hearing protector to protect your hearing
3.5 mm listen only stereo input (limited to 82 dB) for connection to external devices (e.g. mobile phone, radio, two-way radio and iPod) and a voice guided menu system to avoid you having to take the headset off to change or check settings
Auto power off turns headset off after 4 hours of non-use, to save energy and a low-battery warning informs you when to change batteries
To reduce the corrosion caused by sweat the electronics are located in the outer part of the cup
Increases your ability to communicate with others nearby as well as your ability to hear lower sounds
Battery Life - 100 Hours
Battery Type - AA
Communication Type - Environmental listening
Connection Type - 3.5mm stereo plug
Features - High Attenuation, Impulse Noise Protection, Level Dependant Function
SLC80 Rating - 32 dB
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2021, 1:32 pm

Bello wrote:I found this in my email in box
Hope it helps
3M PELTOR PROTAC SHOOTER HEADSET $185.90
he 3M PELTOR ProTac Shooter Headset is designed for use whilst sport shooting. It helps protect against harmful impact noise, whilst allowing ambient sounds to be heard at a level below 82dB. It increases your ability to communicate with others nearby, as well as increase your ability to hear lower audio sounds.
Level-dependent function for ambient listening helps to protect against harmful impact noise, while allowing ambient sounds to be heard at a level below 82 dB
Attenuating hearing protector to protect your hearing
3.5 mm listen only stereo input (limited to 82 dB) for connection to external devices (e.g. mobile phone, radio, two-way radio and iPod) and a voice guided menu system to avoid you having to take the headset off to change or check settings
Auto power off turns headset off after 4 hours of non-use, to save energy and a low-battery warning informs you when to change batteries
To reduce the corrosion caused by sweat the electronics are located in the outer part of the cup
Increases your ability to communicate with others nearby as well as your ability to hear lower sounds
Battery Life - 100 Hours
Battery Type - AA
Communication Type - Environmental listening
Connection Type - 3.5mm stereo plug
Features - High Attenuation, Impulse Noise Protection, Level Dependant Function
SLC80 Rating - 32 dB

They are cheap. Ok for casual shooting only IMHO

Had alook on their Web site.

Professional-Quality Hearing Protection (26dB NRR) this is not a very high level of protection NRR is a US system of testing it is a lover STD than ours.
These muffs are only equivalent to about Class 3 under our system.

See attached

NRR Equiv.JPG
NRR Equiv.JPG (29.97 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 24 Dec 2021, 1:39 am

If only someone would invent some soft foam ear plugs that very effectively block loud noise unless an electronic component is switched on. Wait a minute .......
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by poid » 15 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm

ob1 wrote:https://pacificears.com.au/product/etymotic-gun-sport-pro-elite/

I use these, love them. The foam tips work great, even at the range. Have had them in all day when using tools, and for hours on end hunting. Sound quality is very natural, easy to pick sound direction, battery lasts ages and the ear buds are charged when you put them back in their case (which has its own battery that you charge via USB and lasts bloody ages).

I had a pair of ghost stryke essential before these and didn't like them at all, sound quality was poor, not easy to pick direction and way too much wind noise. I had to take them out of my ears when sitting and really trying to listen to my surroundings, which defeats the purpose and is why I lost them in the bush somewhere.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Grumpy » 19 Jan 2022, 11:26 pm

poid wrote:
ob1 wrote:https://pacificears.com.au/product/etymotic-gun-sport-pro-elite/

I had a pair of ghost stryke essential before these and didn't like them at all, sound quality was poor, not easy to pick direction and way too much wind noise. I had to take them out of my ears when sitting and really trying to listen to my surroundings, which defeats the purpose and is why I lost them in the bush somewhere.

I’ve had these and found a similar problems with the wind noice. I also found the volume way too high for my liking on the lowest setting.
Grumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment