Target paint

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Target paint

Post by flashman » 23 Dec 2021, 7:05 am

HI all marry xmas , iv got a dumb question : What type of paint do u use on your gong targets , is it marker , line marker or cheap spray paint ,its for my new gong which looks great seams to pretty to shoot' ........... :D
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Target paint

Post by No1_49er » 23 Dec 2021, 7:09 am

Cheapest one you can get!
I use 'Fiddly Bits' from "the big green shed". About $5 a can.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by flashman » 23 Dec 2021, 7:28 am

Fiddly bits is that quick drying , because in and out if the vehicle don't need the mess
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2021, 10:36 am

flashman wrote:HI all marry xmas , iv got a dumb question : What type of paint do u use on your gong targets , is it marker , line marker or cheap spray paint ,its for my new gong which looks great seams to pretty to shoot' ........... :D

I asked the same question a few months back :-)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15931#p274219
Got some helpful advice too.

I have used all sorts of stuff I had left over from projects, enamels and acrylics, spray paints, house paints, whatever stuck okay and showed the splashes.

People here seemed to.prefer line-marking spray paint, which I have used before, but we use it on the farm so I never liked to waste it on targets.
So I ordered a carton of six cans to try it out, and we can use it for line-marking anyway if I don't like it.
I'm on the fourth can now and it works very well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/223244221852
The cans are bigger than we usually use though, and don't fit in our line-marker as they're larger diameter. And line-markers generally have the vertical nozzle so you are likely to get some on your fingers, but it dries immediately so doesn't get transferred to my clothes or rifles. If your gongs are easy to handle it is easier if you lay them down flat and spray vertically, but I spray them hanging or standing in place with no issues. A Silhouette practice season I usually shoot four half-scale silhouettes either fifteen or thirty times each, plus ten or twenty rounds on a 130mm or 150mm gong to finish off. Then I photograph them and spray the lot in just a few seconds, very quick, very easy.

Overall I'm happy with how much coverage these give out of a can. The paint is thin though, so you can see bullet splashes under the paint, this stuff won't give them that new finish. I keep the lid on and carry them in my dump pouch and haven't had any leakage or mess so far. I don't feel there's anything to gain by looking at other products so I'll be ordering more of these. But I will have to find a line-marker to fit them.

Anybody know what gong manufacturers paint them with to look pretty for resale?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Dec 2021, 3:28 pm

I use this stuff buy it by the box when it's on special at Supercheap for 3 for $9 and it's dry by the time I get back to my firing position although that is 1200 to 1400 yards

Screenshot_20211223-162806_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211223-162806_Gallery.jpg (551.34 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 24 Dec 2021, 5:32 am

I just use any whit paint I have lying around
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Bugman » 24 Dec 2021, 10:56 am

Ditto. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Dec 2021, 11:12 am

Guess I'm the opposite. I find the quality stuff works much better. Only the impact spot comes off whereas the cheap stuff tends to lose alot more. $12-13 a can and it will last a year or two for me. Dries fast too. Rustoleum is my go to brand.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Dec 2021, 11:33 am

MontyShooter wrote:Guess I'm the opposite. I find the quality stuff works much better. Only the impact spot comes off whereas the cheap stuff tends to lose alot more. $12-13 a can and it will last a year or two for me. Dries fast too. Rustoleum is my go to brand.

If I were only using a can a year I could maybe afford that, but I'm on my fourth 450gm can in less than three months.
Last edited by bladeracer on 24 Dec 2021, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 24 Dec 2021, 2:00 pm

Same here sometimes I go through a can in one session
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2021, 10:53 pm

Dunno about you Blokes,,,,,, but I just use the 2" wide masking tape thats available in all the El Cheapo shops.
Works well for me.
Although I'm not firing multi rounds,,,,, just one or two to check zero before heading out for a nights hunt. :thumbsup:
And I don't need to cover the whole plate. Just a 4" square patch in the middle.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 25 Dec 2021, 8:58 am

Paint why use paint. It's not good for the environment.

I just find a local homeless guy, and tell him to hold the plate... like William Tell and the homeless guy can tell me if it hit the metal gong.... :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 26 Dec 2021, 5:24 am

Line marker.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 31 Dec 2021, 9:37 am

OK ..yes i agree cheap is the way to go or what iv have at home ....Hay any preference in colour i would say white or fluro yellow would work .
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2021, 12:29 pm

flashman wrote:OK ..yes i agree cheap is the way to go or what iv have at home ....Hay any preference in colour i would say white or fluro yellow would work .

I've used everything from white to black, as long as it shows a bullet splash that's all I want from it, but black can be hard to see your front sight against.

I prefer less contrast if I'm practicing, so the rust color works fairly well :-)

But on silhouettes it is good to have the entire target standing out, the straggly bits affect how I see the target mass. It can tend to draw my point of aim towards the _perceived_ centre of mass and away from the larger areas I should be aiming at. In that case it's best to practice on the targets exactly as they would appear at a range. I practice on cut-out silhouettes on a sheet of MDF (the brown gives a contrast similar to what you'd expect at a range), that way I can see where the entire group (including the misses) is dropping depending on which direction the target is facing. If I were serious about it I'd develop DOPE with windage adjustments for each animal in both facings, as well as the holdovers. Shooting at round or square gongs is _very_ different to shooting at splotches of colour with head, tail, legs and pizzle hanging off them. Properly set up rifles tend to shoot circular groups, so you need to place your potential group over the largest part of the target, not just "in the middle", and learn to ignore the extraneous bits. Fliers hitting the foot, tail or nose are lucky bonus points :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 31 Dec 2021, 2:34 pm

Thanks Blade ,did look into some metal silhouette targets hard to come by ..though of making my own but to hard am looking for the specs for 100 m size wise ,got mate how has access to a laser cutting machine cut them out weld a flat bottom and good to go
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment