Safes that dont meet requirements

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Safes that dont meet requirements

Post by dnedative » 28 Dec 2021, 4:18 pm

Looking to use a Chubb safe for pistol storage except it doesn't meet the NSW police standards;
Only has a single hole in the base for mounting and there isn't a 10mm skirt around the door.

Safe weighs north of 250kg and is fire rated; Moving it as-is is a absolutely horrible job so with a 3/4 dynabot holding it down your going to need a 20t excavator to rip it out to move or steal it. Chubb never put a 10mm skirt around it presumably because you cant pry it open to begin with. Locksmith reckons its a good thing, rated to some Euro spec and you could insure $200k of jewelry in it.

In NSW; Had inspections before but never thought to ask.
Would ask the registry but they might get back to me in 3 months with a vague answer or telling me its no good because it doesn't meet whats on the website.

Anyone been down this road?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Safes that dont meet requirements

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 31 Dec 2021, 3:24 pm

You could apply for a commissioners permit if you provide evidence of how you meet or exceed the law.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Dec 2021, 3:54 pm

CIC might be right there. Why not give them a call
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Dec 2021, 9:23 pm

dnedative wrote:Looking to use a Chubb safe for pistol storage except it doesn't meet the NSW police standards;
Only has a single hole in the base for mounting and there isn't a 10mm skirt around the door.

Safe weighs north of 250kg and is fire rated; Moving it as-is is a absolutely horrible job so with a 3/4 dynabot holding it down your going to need a 20t excavator to rip it out to move or steal it. Chubb never put a 10mm skirt around it presumably because you cant pry it open to begin with. Locksmith reckons its a good thing, rated to some Euro spec and you could insure $200k of jewelry in it.

Have you seen the pics of the safe here? https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/131179/Safe_Storage_Level_Two_-_FACT_Sheet.pdf

I would get model number of safe send in details and ask if it's ok
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jan 2022, 7:47 am

Consider what may happen, if you install the safe as is, when you eventually have an inspection by a delegated constable.
Does it tick all the boxes?
If the answer is no and the path to compliance is not readily feasible then no amount of pleading will do any good. In fact prolonged pleading may exacerbate matters.
Keep in mind that the exercise of individual discretion by an individual officer has now been severely curtailed within the NSW police service.
In your situation I would consider modifying the safe to comply if feasible or sell and buy a compliant safe even if in my opinion it may be technically inferior.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 01 Jan 2022, 8:37 pm

Hi mate, I'd have a chat with your local licensing sergeant. Ring the station, quickly introduce yourself and ask if the licencing sergeant is on as you have a technical question regarding safe storage compliance.

1) No, it doesn't compy to the letter of the law.
2) Its arguably significantly above the level of security specified.
3) Given points one and two you would need consultation with your local officer.

Thats about the size of it. I've seen setups ticked off simply because they are impressive in some manner; concealed, double-safed, strongroomed, whatever... they weren't strictly compliant by that ridiculous tech-sheet, but they still got passed by the local blokes. Your safe would likely fall under that sort of category.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by dnedative » 01 Jan 2022, 10:42 pm

straightshooter wrote:Keep in mind that the exercise of individual discretion by an individual officer has now been severely curtailed within the NSW police service.
In your situation I would consider modifying the safe to comply if feasible or sell and buy a compliant safe even if in my opinion it may be technically inferior.

I'll call the local station and get onto the officer who does compliance; Surely common sense should prevail.
Walls on the thing are 60mm thick steel reinforced concrete; Police info sheet calls for 6mm.
20mm dynabolt has a pull out rating in excess of 2 tons

Just doesn't have a skirt around the door so I guess Chubb have never made a safe worth s**t.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 02 Jan 2022, 7:43 am

I am certain that if you deviate from the law (even if you exceed it) you are still in breech unless you get commissioners approval.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 02 Jan 2022, 9:30 am

Its over 150kg so the requirement to bolt it down really is not applicable. Common sense when the inspection occurs will prevail.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2022, 10:02 am

Larry wrote:Its over 150kg so the requirement to bolt it down really is not applicable. Common sense when the inspection occurs will prevail.

For CatH?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2022, 12:29 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I am certain that if you deviate from the law (even if you exceed it) you are still in breech unless you get commissioners approval.

Probably correct, at least until a legal precedent is set that addresses it. A Commissioner's approval would cover it though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment