Scope mounted light

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Scope mounted light

Post by northdude » 23 Jan 2022, 6:34 pm

Do any of you use a scope mounted spotlight/torch? was out last night and Its easier to have a light mounted on my hornet for walking around as I can cover ground quite fast and usually waiting for someone to catch up to hold the light.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: Scope mounted light

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2022, 6:44 pm

northdude wrote:Do any of you use a scope mounted spotlight/torch? was out last night and Its easier to have a light mounted on my hornet for walking around as I can cover ground quite fast and usually waiting for someone to catch up to hold the light.

I don't spotlight, but I have been out with professionals.
If possible it seems to be advantageous to have the light separate from the rifle. You want to be able to flick the light around, catch the eyes and move on while the shooter takes sight at the fox, then swing the light back and fire the shot. I don't think foxes are particularly conducive to standing around with the light on them while you line up your shot.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 23 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm

this is for mainly possums out to 100m on the ground. I use a head light to find the eyes but then I need a more powerful light to take the shot so as to light up what's behind the target even tho we Know the terrain and were the safe shots can be taken.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by MtnMan » 23 Jan 2022, 7:12 pm

Trust me, buy once, cry once. You need a Z Visions JP-303 kit - https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zviso ... cts/jp-303

Along with the elevation/windage mount- https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zviso ... orch-mount

and a scope ring picatinny rail for each rifle you want to use it on- https://foxdog.com.au/collections/zviso ... nny-rail-1

The red LED will blow your mind with the eye shine it picks up.

The JP-103 kit is a smaller light if that is more desirable.

Your welcome.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by northdude » 24 Jan 2022, 3:42 am

Good looking kit
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by straightshooter » 24 Jan 2022, 8:08 am

I have tried mounting a 2 'c' cell maglite modified with a 3w led bulb and converted to take a 18650 lithium cell. It was fitted to picatinny rings which mated to picatinny rails that clamped to the scope tube.
Not very sophisticated but it was bright enough for 75m shots but the problem was there was tendency for the zero to be all over the place.
Unfortunately I haven't seen a rabbit in my area for a long time so the tinkering stopped and the 22's haven't seen any use.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 24 Jan 2022, 3:47 pm

I'm a bit disappointed in not listing specs for that z visions light, especially when it's a $300+ torch. Uses cree xpe for white and green which is only 3.5w, but is it only using one emitter per color or multiple. Some details on the red light would be nice too. With a claimed 500m range I'm guessing it's using more, but really feel they should list it in the description.

Given that MtnMan raves about it then it must be decent I guess. At least they are actually using red emitters rather than trying to use filters.

I made a red one myself (2 actually, modified an aldi led lenser headlamp copy with red emitter also), but not everyone is as stupid as I am to save cents and waste hours. In my own defence nothing was available on the market when I made the first one
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 24 Jan 2022, 4:02 pm

Is the bushgear bg360 any good?
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 24 Jan 2022, 5:18 pm

Any idea what the go is with the additional led in the bush gear torch-do you swap it over inside to change from say white to red?
Last edited by disco stu on 25 Jan 2022, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 24 Jan 2022, 6:04 pm

that was going to be my other question. Many of you use a red light?
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm

Acebeam w 30 with a red filter the most punchy long range red Iight i ever seen , Need fat wallet
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by MtnMan » 24 Jan 2022, 7:59 pm

disco stu wrote:Any idea what the go is with the additional led-do you swap it over inside to change from say white to red?

Most lights you have to partly disassemble the torch and change out the LED module. Not so with the Z visions JP-303. simply turn a knob to switch colours. It's about the only one I know of that can do this.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 25 Jan 2022, 6:48 am

MtnMan wrote:
disco stu wrote:Any idea what the go is with the additional led-do you swap it over inside to change from say white to red?

Most lights you have to partly disassemble the torch and change out the LED module. Not so with the Z visions JP-303. simply turn a knob to switch colours. It's about the only one I know of that can do this.

I should have quoted, fixed now. I meant with the bush gear torch asked about above. That's one feature I thought was good with the z visions. Plus adjustable beam for whatever you're doing
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 25 Jan 2022, 4:43 pm

no worries. the beam focus along with turn dial colour change and intensity control makes it so usable.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 10:27 am

Only rarely spotlight. So wanted cheap

Rechargeable and good for about 150 yards. Cheap as chips

https://www.productreview.com.au/listin ... bank-torch
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment