Cleaning rod size for CZ rimfire rifles?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning rod size for CZ rimfire rifles?

Post by jwai86 » 19 Mar 2022, 4:23 pm

I remember reading something here about a .17 cleaning rod being required for I think a CZ 455 because the extractor obstructs a .22 rod. However, it's unclear to me whether that applies to all CZ rimfire rifles, or only to certain models.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Cleaning rod size for CZ rimfire rifles?

Post by animalpest » 19 Mar 2022, 4:43 pm

I have three .22 cal CZ rimfires and use a .22 rod on all of them
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2022, 5:24 pm

jwai86 wrote:I remember reading something here about a .17 cleaning rod being required for I think a CZ 455 because the extractor obstructs a .22 rod. However, it's unclear to me whether that applies to all CZ rimfire rifles, or only to certain models.

I've read that one model has the ejector in the way of the rod, but can't recall which. I think the 452 (Brno Model 2) is fine as my JW25A is a clone of the 452 and it's fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 19 Mar 2022, 5:44 pm

animalpest wrote:I have three .22 cal CZ rimfires and use a .22 rod on all of them

Which models do you have? Perhaps there's a pattern.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 19 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm

I have the 455 and it has this issue. I have a stainless rod and it has scratches all over it. Last time i used the rod that I got for my .17 and it is so much better. I also bought a snake but haven't used it yet.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 19 Mar 2022, 7:14 pm

Lsfan wrote:I have the 455 and it has this issue. I have a stainless rod and it has scratches all over it. Last time i used the rod that I got for my .17 and it is so much better. I also bought a snake but haven't used it yet.

I would be interested to see if anyone else with a CZ 455 has the same issue.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Mar 2022, 7:16 pm

My 455 will run into the ejector with a 22 rod. The ejector pushes the rod over against the mouth of the chamber too and it did both these things with my 452. A 17 calibre rod is your only hope; either that or file the ejector.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Mar 2022, 7:23 pm

Cleaning a rimfire barrel ? ... it that an actual thing ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2022, 8:23 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Cleaning a rimfire barrel ? ... it that an actual thing ?

Eventually you'll have to if you want accuracy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Mar 2022, 9:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I literally can't remember the last time I cleaned my 22lr barrel, it might have had 1500 rounds through it since its last clean perhaps even way more :shock:

Apparently the bench guys n girls clean between every target http://www.fpk4guns.com/22lr/cleaning/2 ... arrel.html

I'll be shooting a few groups at 25 yards tomorrow before and after cleaning.. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Mar 2022, 11:20 pm

OK... I couldn't wait shot 4 groups of 5
2 dirty and 2 clean.
I was hoping for a miracle group
Unfortunately all four groups were precisely the same

Outcomes
I guess I have definitely busted the
"cleaning a rimfire will ruin your group size until it settles in again" argument

The other lesson I learnt was that the stainless rod sux to clean my 452, the leading edge of the chamber is a perfect square edge that's sharp as a barbers razor, it catches the rod and shaves metal from the rod.
I switched to my plastic coated 2 piece with brass joints, that one was smooth as silk :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Mar 2022, 11:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I literally can't remember the last time I cleaned my 22lr barrel, it might have had 1500 rounds through it since its last clean perhaps even way more :shock:

Apparently the bench guys n girls clean between every target http://www.fpk4guns.com/22lr/cleaning/2 ... arrel.html

I'll be shooting a few groups at 25 yards tomorrow before and after cleaning.. :thumbsup:

I've heard of people cleaning for every shot to try to get as consistent as possible, that's not shooting, that's cleaning.

When I get a new rife I just shoot it until accuracy drops, then I clean it and see if accuracy comes back. If it does then I know I need to clean the bore somewhere before that number of rounds. Generally it seems to fall between about 300rds and 2000rds :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 20 Mar 2022, 1:30 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:OK... I couldn't wait shot 4 groups of 5

I was surprised by how quickly you went out to take a few random shots. Are you on a farm, or is your local rifle range close by?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2022, 1:50 pm

jwai86 wrote:

I was surprised by how quickly you went out to take a few random shots. Are you on a farm, or is your local rifle range close by?

I'm on a large rural block, Anything bigger that .22lr I'd be pushing the friendship of my neighbours.
For that work I can drive 2 minutes up the road where a private range sits. Pretty handy really. :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Mar 2022, 2:38 pm

If, like me, you live in a humid climate and close to the beach where the air is salty, your rifle will rust if you don't oil it. This presents you with a dilemma, where if you leave it dirty, it won't lose accuracy but rust will get in to it, pretty quick. Let that go too long and who knows what the outcome will be. :?:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2022, 2:44 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote: if you leave it dirty, it won't lose accuracy

I'm calling bulls**t on a clean barrel loosing accuracy.
Durimg Last night's test, I didn't even fire a single fowling shot and my groups were precisely the same between dirty and clean.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Mar 2022, 3:09 pm

If only sciencing were that simple :-)

First, determine the most accurate ammo in the rifle.
Then clean the bore, chamber, action thoroughly.
Then shoot some "control" groups, enough to show a consistent group size, after the bore settles from being cleaned. When I'm testing ammo this will be five to ten 5rd groups usually, with CCI Standard Velocity.
Then do a whole lot of shooting until you start seeing the groups opening up, even just a little, but consistently. You might shoot ten groups, and still have a couple on par or better than the controls you shot, but if the average is 25% bigger, or 50% bigger, note it in your log for the rifle. It might never get any worse than this, this might be the peak. It is likely still perfectly acceptable for the purpose, but it is not as good as it was.
Clean the bore thoroughly again and see if the groups are comparable to the controls you shot the week, month or year before. If not, perhaps a different issue has cropped up.

If the rifle groups 30mm at 50m after 2000rds, and that is all you need or want from it, then don't worry about cleaning it, many, many people are perfectly happy with that. If it groups 15mm for the first 500rds, before opening up, and you enjoy the finer accuracy, then spend the thirty minutes or so to clean it every 500rds, and reseason the barrel again if it needs to settle.

2 dirty and 2 clean.
I was hoping for a miracle group
Unfortunately all four groups were precisely the same

Outcomes
I guess I have definitely busted the
"cleaning a rimfire will ruin your group size until it settles in again" argument

The other lesson I learnt was that the stainless rod sux to clean my 452, the leading edge of the chamber is a perfect square edge that's sharp as a barbers razor, it catches the rod and shaves metal from the rod.
I switched to my plastic coated 2 piece with brass joints, that one was smooth as silk :thumbsup:
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment