Hot car

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hot car

Post by flashman » 20 Mar 2022, 9:34 am

Hi all : Question why is it advisable no to leave binoculars in a hot car ??????????
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Hot car

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2022, 10:55 am

flashman wrote:Hi all : Question why is it advisable no to leave binoculars in a hot car ??????????

Common sense really.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2022, 12:50 pm

Cars can get extremely hot, 60° C is easily achieved add direct sunlight to the equation and your almost at the melting point of some plastics. Back when tape cassettes were all the rage, I remember leaving them on the passenger seat and the dashboard and finding them all bent and twisted from the the heat.
CD's were even easier to melt.
That kind of extreme heat would no doubt compromise the seals in the binoculars letting the nitrogen out and the moist air in.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Mar 2022, 1:49 pm

Top quality bnoculars will not suffer in a car, or anywhere else. The problem is most binos are not top quality, and distortion of body or seals can cause vacuum or gas loss. As an example I once owned a pair of Zeiss brass bodied binos that sat on a hook in the turret of a tank in the Sahara for 3 years, and were in perfect condition when I had them. If you leave your binos in the car, make sure they are in their case and under the seat or in the boot and you should be fine, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 20 Mar 2022, 4:19 pm

Yes makes good sense I keep my new bino's in there case untill ready for use , and keep stored in the house ready for my next adventure.......... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Mar 2022, 6:29 pm

Bows with laminated limbs Scopes. Babies. Dogs. Lots of things Are Not suitable For hot cars ... lock yourself up In a car on hot day. Throw away the key and see what happens
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by flashman » 20 Mar 2022, 6:53 pm

Good point ....
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 20 Mar 2022, 7:41 pm

I had a mag lamp on the back seat of a govt car on a job once. Went around a long sweeping curved road for a few kilometres and the sun cut a long sweeping burn through the back seat upholstery. That’s why I don’t leave lenses in hot cars.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment